Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:24:07 AM EDT
Ok, I'm a new FFL / SOT.

I understand how to do a Title 1 firearm transfer. I record where the guns came from in my bound book, do a 4473 and record where they went in my bound book.

I have a few suppressors that will be coming to me on a Form 3.

How do I check those in and how do I record the transfer when I sell them?

I know I have to do a Form 4 transfer when I sell them to a customer.

Do I also have to keep a bound book that shows where they came from and where they went? Or is just having the Form 3 and Form 4 enough?

If I have to make a record in a bound book can I use the same one I use for title 1 firearms or do I need a separate NFA book?

And is it the same for SBRs and MGs?

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You might want to post this in the M16 forum.  I believe some of the mods over there are SOT's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna piggy back on this question, do you have to have your FFL before you can be an SOT or by definition does having the SOT make you an FFL holder?  I'm sure I'm just missing the point but nothing in my packet from the ATF makes that clear.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to be an FFL first. There are different types of FFLs (eg Dealer, Manufacturer, Importer). You then have to pay an Special Occupational Tax based upon what type of FFL you are.

As an example, if you are an 01 FFL (Dealer) then you pay for a Class 3 SOT. If you are an 07 FFL (manufacturer), the you pay for a Class 2 SOT.

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
thebomber, thanks for the quick response.  Just didn't want to be paying extra if I didn't need to be.  :)

Justin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Record them as acquisitions and dispositions just like Title I firearms.  I would retain a copy of the Form 3 and approved Form 4.  ATF has been known to think you still have the Title II firearm after a legit transfer.

Of course, you can't deliver to the customer until you have the Form 4 back approved and you do have to have the customer fill out a 4473 on pickup.

Are you sure about the 4473 for an NFA weapon?

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Something I can answer on!  Yes you have to have the 4473 when the weapon is picked up.

However, as most NFA weapons are also regulated by the GCA,
purchases from a dealer in NFA weapons requires the completion of
the standard 4473 yellow form, as well as dealer bound book
records, and this source of information is not so similarly
restricted.  ATF may release this information to local law
enforcement for a host of law enforcement purposes.  See 18 U.S.C.
sec. 923(g)(1)(D).

That snippet is from the Bardwell FAQ.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:02:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a suppressor a few years ago on a Form 4 but I can't for the life of me remember if the dealer had me fill out a 4473 or not. I've also made SBRs on a Form 1 in the past and obviously you don't do a 4473 in that case.

Thanks for the info!

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
My understanding would be if a weapon needs a 4473 as a SA it would require one as a FA, a suppressor not being a firearm rather more like a regulated accesory would probably not.  But I'm new to the game so maybe someone is gonna school me here.

justin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
They won't let us have those (Suppressors) here.  I think they're evil or something :/
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Record them as acquisitions and dispositions just like Title I firearms.  I would retain a copy of the Form 3 and approved Form 4.  ATF has been known to think you still have the Title II firearm after a legit transfer.

Of course, you can't deliver to the customer until you have the Form 4 back approved and you do have to have the customer fill out a 4473 on pickup.

Are you sure about the 4473 for an NFA weapon?

Bomber

look on the back of a 4473(sorry new 4473 pg2 about 2/3 down the page[paper induction act!]).. (sorry i dont have one in front of me) there is a question about "no background check was made because transfer involved N.F.A. item".. (worded something like that) i would think you would fill it out, just NOT do the call in(atf/nfa and local did it) just keep it for your records..
i use my bound book, in and out, no special books i just put M.G. insted of rev, break, or auto ect...  now if i would stop keeping them, i would know how to sell them........?

good luck..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]

look on the back of a 4473(sorry new 4473 pg2 about 2/3 down thepage[paper induction act!]).. (sorry i dont have one in front of me) there is a question about "no background check was made because transfer involved N.F.A. item".. (worded something like that) i would think you would fill it out, just NOT do the call in(atf/nfa and local did it) just keep it for your records..
i use my bound book, in and out, no special books i just put M.G. insted of rev, break, or auto ect...  now if i would stop keeping them, i would know how to sell them........?

good luck..

You're right and it's exactly what I thought.

Para. 7 Exceptions to NICS Check: A NICS Check is not required if the transfer qualifies for any of the alternatives in 27 CFR 178.102d. Denerally these include:

SNIP

(b) transfers of National Firearms Act weapons approved by the ATF

Bomber

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top