Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 5:14:11 PM EDT
Gun shop near me has one labeled as "Black Widow".  External numbers all appear to match.  Unknown about the magazine.  Uniform semi-gloss dark finish with what appears to be a Russian capture X on the left side next to the serial number.  (Russian refinish?)  4-digit serial number with no letter suffix.  CAI import stamp on the underside of the barrel.

What can you folks tell me about this, and what would you put as an approximate value?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Finish is most likely dip blued. Russian captures in my mind are worth not much more than shooter grade about $1,100 tops. For one thing the grips are no longer original to the gun if they were originally wood they would be numbered to the gun. If plastic real plastic grips for a byf42 will cost you about $3-400.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, kinda what I figured when I saw the RC mark.  Grips are black plastic, but unknown if original black bakelite or replacement plastic.

He had it priced at $1200, which if all original, non-import, non-RC marked would have been a good price, based on my google-fu.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
"Black Widow" is pure bullshit...that's a collectors term for original German lugers with the black plastic grips...but they just happened to get black plastic grips, didn't "mean" anything, they weren't SS issue, or any of the other stories told...

If its an RC, its a mix, and they just happened to put black plastic grips on it...as P08 says, if they are real...could be repops thrown on toe make it a "Black Widow"...

I also think P08 is spot one (wonder why) with the value, and if they are repo grips, then I'd even say $800-$1000 tops.

RC's do nothing for me personally, but with the prices of Lugers nowadays, are at least somewhat affordable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay, kinda what I figured when I saw the RC mark.  Grips are black plastic, but unknown if original black bakelite or replacement plastic.

He had it priced at $1200, which if all original, non-import, non-RC marked would have been a good price, based on my google-fu.
View Quote
I don't know, that seems really low for an original, non-import, non-RC...Pretty much ANY Luger I see anymore is $900 and up....I have one, only one, which I got probably 15 to 20 years ago...all matching 1940 42 code....

Can't collect everything, and I stuck with 98k's...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Was thinking back on my RC 42 byf that I bought years ago for $350. It have black vertical ribbed grips on it.
Top Top