Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2017 3:20:57 PM EDT
Went out and hit the LGSs yesterday and came home with an Italian Carcano. Got it for really cheap and I know it's missing parts. I'm trying to figure out what exactly I have but all that I've been able to figure out is that it is a Terni M38. I want to bring it back to original configuration but I can't figure out what the original configuration is. Here's some pics:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought an M38 carbine with the forward end cap & upper handguard removed and the folding bayonet & mounting hardware ground off (or otherwise removed). 

Looks like the stock was bubba'd a bit as well

http://candrsenal.com/rifle-italian-carcano-m38-cavalry/

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You bought an M38 carbine with the forward end cap & upper handguard removed and the folding bayonet & mounting hardware ground off (or otherwise removed). 

Looks like the stock was bubba'd a bit as well

http://candrsenal.com/rifle-italian-carcano-m38-cavalry/

http://candrsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Carcano-M38-Cavalry-right-Side.jpg
View Quote
That's what I thought as well, but why is the stock on mine longer than the one in that pic? It looks too long to match up with that forward endcap thing and the handguard. The stock isn't cut for the bayonet either.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's what I thought as well, but why is the stock on mine longer than the one in that pic? It looks too long to match up with that forward endcap thing and the handguard. The stock isn't cut for the bayonet either.
View Quote
Might not be the original stock.  Could be a sporterized stock from a TS or any number of other Carcanos.  It's definitely a Cavalry Carbine barrel, though.

Is it 7.35 or 6.5?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Might not be the original stock.  Could be a sporterized stock from a TS or any number of other Carcanos.  It's definitely a Cavalry Carbine barrel, though.

Is it 7.35 or 6.5?
View Quote
The rear sight says cal 6.5.

It would make sense that this isn't the original stock. The finger grooves look like they were added on at some point as they aren't consistent in width or depth.

Know where I can find some Carcano parts? I would like to bring it back to original configuration.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Numrich or Liberty Tree?  Availability may be spotty.

Basically you have an action, barrel, and trigger/mag group.  Most of the other bits you'll have to source.  It may be worth buying a sewer pipe M38 (or an 8mm conversion that's unsafe to fire) with all the parts, and doing some swapping.

One of these days I'll get a M91 TS or long rifle.  I kinda like Carcanos, and you can actually find 6.5 Italian every now and then. 
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Numrich or Liberty Tree?  Availability may be spotty.

Basically you have an action, barrel, and trigger/mag group.  Most of the other bits you'll have to source.  It may be worth buying a sewer pipe M38 (or an 8mm conversion that's unsafe to fire) with all the parts, and doing some swapping.

One of these days I'll get a M91 TS or long rifle.  I kinda like Carcanos, and you can actually find 6.5 Italian every now and then. 
View Quote
Thanks. I like projects like this and I knew buying it that it was missing some stuff but I got it cheap.

I passed on the last cheap Carcano I found and I've regretted it. Now to figure out what I need to bring this one back...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
If the fore end portion of the existing stock is long enough you may be able to reconfigure it back to semi-original. That way, you only have to by the end-cap, bayonet, and upper handguard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The guys at Inrangetv have a series of videos on youtube showing them running a match with one.

Talks about about the gun and how to run it.

Red

Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If the fore end portion of the existing stock is long enough you may be able to reconfigure it back to semi-original. That way, you only have to by the end-cap, bayonet, and upper handguard.
View Quote
That's actually what I'm thinking about doing. Taking it from a cavalry carbine to a regular m38 carbine.

Are the barrel lengths the same on the two?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Calvary carbine. It took my over two years to find the bayonet parts to fix it.

My great-uncle brought one back from WWII. He found it in Germany in a house of all places.

No idea why out of all the firearms to bring back he would bring that back, but he did.

I have a neat picture of my grandpa as a kid stabbing a giant nazi flag he brought back as well with it. Over time the rifle disappeared as it was treated as a toy and I eventually found the one I have as a replacement. I wanted to give to my grandpa for a father's day present and it took me forever to find the damn parts. Eventually I found a place that was reproducing the goofy nut and spring for the bayo which was the hardest to find. I think that barrel lug will be difficult to replace.

Out of all the carcanos they are not the easiest to find parts for.

I will post a picture of mine this weekend with my grandpa.
Top Top