Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2017 9:53:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Likely it was where the saddle ring was attached, an real Krag carbine would have a saddle ring for Cavalry use...

Krag carbines are rife with fakes, cut down full length to carbine length, kind of like Trapdoor carbines...so you want to make sure its actually a carbine...

An original, complete Krag carbine would be worth some bucks...figure $1500 and up, unless you luck into it....

Conversely, a fake....well done even, $500....

Check it over, and roll the dice, make a low offer, $750-$1000 if legit....the missing saddle ring will have to replaced of course, so use that as a hammer...
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
A cut down rifle will have a groove under the barrel where the cleaning rod went
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A cut down rifle will have a groove under the barrel where the cleaning rod went
View Quote
Only in the earliest 92 version stocks. Later models did not have the cleaning rod.
Front sight should be on a simple base - not a round ring like the Springfield.
Sounds like the cut out in the stock was for the sling bar
As mentioned a true carbine ( about 10% of the total production which wasn't all that much anyway)
Is rather valuable especially if a 96 model which would have been the carbine model used in the Spanish American war. A cut down rifle I wouldn't even give 500 for
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice! I wish I had one of those!

Here is a saddle ring assembly I found on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Original-Springfield-US-Krag-Carbine-Saddle-Ring-Bar-Cavalry-K-42-/191314978520

May be a little pricey...but there you go...

They have them here, much cheaper...

http://www.granpasgunparts.com/new-products/

And yet another place to try....

http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_arms/(867).htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the links. do you have an idea of what screws I should use for the saddle ring part?
View Quote
Maybe this one?

http://www.granpasgunparts.com/new-products/copy-of-1873-to-1890-small-butt-plate-screw

They would be flat head, blued wood screws essentially....

I can look in my references and see if the small butt plate/swivel screws will work...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The only thing I see that doesn't look "stock" or has been altered is that it looks like someone at some point had sling mounts on the stock.

One at the end of the butt and one at the end of the fore grip. There are holes in the wood there.
View Quote
Holes, but no inletting?

If that's the case, you can plug the holes with walnut dowel plugs, and neatly trim and gently sand, and they won't be too noticeable....

Sounds like bubba added sling mounts...not uncommon...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked it up, the small butt plate/swivel screw is what was used, although the front screw was shortened to 0.6 inches in length, so I would buy two of them, and shorten one, and Bob's your uncle, you are good to go....
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Has the later 1899 type rear sight protector built into the band, and something about the installation of the later windage adjustable rear sight looks off, and the front sight blade is a replacement. Would need more pics of complete rifle to get a better idea of originality but if you got this cheap might still be a great deal for a true carbine
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#15]
If I am not mistaken the early ones had a weak bolt. Be careful with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Serial numbers for the carbines can be found here.....and not all got the saddle ring....that is a little like saying a m1 carbine is not "real" because it does not have a bayonet lug...not true.

http://www.bowersweapons.com/SA%20US%20KRAG%20serial%20numbers.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Now a little on shooting it, as I did not catch it anywhere.

They are a bit of a pain to take down....I suggest a youtube video or two before you have a go....and watch your fingers...they can bite you.

You will know you touched something off when shooting the thing....you will get a thump.  For factory be ready to spend about $2 per bang....you need to reload if you want to enjoy this rifle.

I load mine a bit soft...well because it is a 100+ year old gun, I am old, and a pussy....

People still make brass, but it is not like you are going to be running this like your plastic fantastic AR...so 100 rounds will last a LONG TIME for most folks.

They are fun, and are not that far off of more "modern" flavors, loading the thing everyone touts as a pain, is not that bad, do it 3 times and it is easy, and real easy to top off.

The action is not the strongest in the world....so don't go crazy with it, but it is smooth...guess that one lug will do that for you.

I really like them, they do not deserve the garbage they get.....load shoot and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The only thing I see that doesn't look "stock" or has been altered is that it looks like someone at some point had sling mounts on the stock.

One at the end of the butt and one at the end of the fore grip. There are holes in the wood there.
View Quote
These things where cheap as in SUPER CHEAP back in the mid 50's to early 60's.  The FiL and his brother went in half-half on one because they could not afford the $25 for the 1903.

They used it as a deer rifle for years....I have it now, not worth much as it has been pretty heavy sportered by two country bumpkins from Tenn.  But it does shoot well.

Point is quite a few have been "modified" over the years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Serial numbers for the carbines can be found here.....and not all got the saddle ring....that is a little like saying a m1 carbine is not "real" because it does not have a bayonet lug...not true.

http://www.bowersweapons.com/SA%20US%20KRAG%20serial%20numbers.htm
View Quote
Yeah, but if it was inlet for one, and has screw holes, it had a saddle ring and bar...
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, but if it was inlet for one, and has screw holes, it had a saddle ring and bar...
View Quote
I do not debate that....just saying check the numbers before someone tells you it is not "real" because it is missing this or that.  Lots can happen in 100 years.  

They are fun guns....I really need to find a new pic hosting site so I can show off mine and do some HAY LOOK AT ME type stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top