Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2017 8:20:13 PM EDT
Was given this today by a neighbor that was using it as a wall hanger.

Said he used to shoot it, but due to his age it just hurt too much anymore.

I'd rather trust you guys for ID and info than some nut job on YouTube.

Overall pic, the wood is real rough...

Attachment Attached File

Bolt sort of matches, looks like it was ground down and re numbered to match rest of rifle and cartouche on stock...

Attachment Attached File

Receiver markings...  

Attachment Attached File

Ground off crest...

Attachment Attached File

And last, a pic of the cartouche...

Attachment Attached File

The metal seems to be in great shape, and the barrel has very light pitting, I'll shoot the heck out of it as he also gave me about 15 boxes of this ammo to go with it...

It seems sort of weird that it does have 4 notches in the stock right around the forend, wonder if it saw combat or is it something as mundane as deer kills.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a VZ-24...standard Czech rifle prior to WWII, also made under contract for a variety of countries/armies...not my bag really, so I don't off the top of my head, but you can glean info from the crest (don't know what that is without looking it up...could even be Czech), and s/n prefix...

Good rifles, German collectors  chase some of them....you can find them as VZ-24's modified by the Germans, and also German produced (after they took over the BRNO factory) as the G-24t before they switched the factory over to 98k production.

This one is pre-war. High quality...a really nice gift!

PS your front barrel band is on backwards, the side sling loop should be on the other side.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a VZ-24...standard Czech rifle prior to WWII, also made under contract for a variety of countries/armies...not my bag really, so I don't off the top of my head, but you can glean info from the crest (don't know what that is without looking it up...could even be Czech), and s/n prefix...

Good rifles, German collectors  chase some of them....you can find them as VZ-24's modified by the Germans, and also German produced (after they took over the BRNO factory) as the G-24t before they switched the factory over to 98k production.

This one is pre-war. High quality...a really nice gift!

PS your front barrel band is on backwards, the side sling loop should be on the other side.....
View Quote
It is a Romainan contract VZ-24. Not pre-war, made circa 1941.

Full Carol Crested VZ-24s bring big money.  I think I'm the only one that has one of those that's also fully factory matching.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both very much, I really appreciate the info.

Modern rifles info can be found all over the internet, unfortunately once you get into these older rifles it turns into a furball.

It seems safe to shoot, are there any issues I'd encounter using the ammo he gave me?

Or would I best be served by leaving it as a wall hanger?

View Quote
Thanks for the heads up, I really had no idea as to what this was!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you both very much, I really appreciate the info.

Modern rifles info can be found all over the internet, unfortunately once you get into these older rifles it turns into a furball.

It seems safe to shoot, are there any issues I'd encounter using the ammo he gave me?

Or would I best be served by leaving it as a wall hanger?
View Quote
Other than possibly checking headspace, there should be no issues if its in good shape, that ammo is good to go too, good Yugo stuff...

As to the barrel band...these were set up to have the sling on the bottom for infantry, or on the non bolt side for cav, take your choice...so, yeah, slide that off and switch it around, you'll be good to go....
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I can tell you that ammo is crap. I had a bunch of FTF and one squib from different boxes
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can tell you that ammo is crap. I had a bunch of FTF and one squib from different boxes
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up, I'll shoot it with that in mind and be happy with it.

Certainly not like it cost me anything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Those Brno made Vz4s are very solid actions. I consider them to be one of the best for that period of time. Too bad about the crest.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Romanian contract.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Like said Romanian Contact VZ-24 with post revolution scrubbed King Carol crest.

Force matched bolt and serial on disc are a Romanian done, saw a few done like that in the imports when I went through them at Big 5 yrs ago and I have one like it somewhere in my Mauser pile along with a Unscrubbed King Carol.

The Czechs used pretty deep rifling compared to other Mausers so even Dark bore guns still shoot really well from my experience.

VZ-24 cleaning rods are around , You can also use a Yugo M24 , 24/47 or 48 Rod. Romanian post war refurb replacement rods are completely round with no jag head just a round hole .
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've always had good luck with that ammo. Its prvi partizan which is known to be very good. Maybe you had a bad lot or it was stored in bad conditions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That ammo is not crap, best 8mm surplus out there.  It has very hard primers, so you may need a new firing pin spring to shoot it.  The wolf 20lb is perfect in all my mausers.  That looks like newer yugo ammo too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That ammo is not crap, best 8mm surplus out there.  It has very hard primers, so you may need a new firing pin spring to shoot it.  The wolf 20lb is perfect in all my mausers.  That looks like newer yugo ammo too.
I have to agree with jnk556 on this.  I have used that ammunition in several different Mausers.  If the firing pin is slightly bent or dirty, there will be FTFs.  Same is true with weak springs.  I have found it reliable and less shoulder-killing than Turkish 8mm ammunition.  

Both kinds use berdan primers and are corrosive, so clean well.  I've been saving the cases by tossing them into a bucket of water right after firing.  Eventually I'll have time and the tools to convert them to boxer primers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Ditto on cleaning well with hot water, immediately after shooting.  I usually do a quick water flush, scrub and blast out the water with WD-40 at the range, followed by a real cleaning once I get home.  Oil, even fancy gun oils do not remove corrosive salts.  you have to use something water based first.  Research a bit on cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo so that you don't ruin your gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have run plenty of 70's Yugo ammo like that, zero problems, good stuff.   50's had some hard primers, 70's was all good, 80's had some steel cased stuff that sucked because it jammed the bolt.  I actually still have about six cases of 70's unopened.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ditto on cleaning well with hot water, immediately after shooting.  I usually do a quick water flush, scrub and blast out the water with WD-40 at the range, followed by a real cleaning once I get home.  Oil, even fancy gun oils do not remove corrosive salts.  you have to use something water based first.  Research a bit on cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo so that you don't ruin your gun.
View Quote
For the initial cleaning, I use an Enfield funnel.  I remove the bolt, and insert the end of the funnel into the chamber.  (With the offset, how to do it should be obvious.) Those are getting really hard to find.  So a $3 plastic transmission funnel will also work.  Plain water, soapy water or water with ammonia will remove the corrosive salts.  I've read that a soldier-produced yellow-colored solution that contains some ammonia will also work, in field conditions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure why but the thought of a Czech coin inletted into the missing crest on the receiver seems neat

Czech coins.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Like said Romanian Contact VZ-24 with post revolution scrubbed King Carol crest.

Force matched bolt and serial on disc are a Romanian done, saw a few done like that in the imports when I went through them at Big 5 yrs ago and I have one like it somewhere in my Mauser pile along with a Unscrubbed King Carol.

The Czechs used pretty deep rifling compared to other Mausers so even Dark bore guns still shoot really well from my experience.

VZ-24 cleaning rods are around , You can also use a Yugo M24 , 24/47 or 48 Rod. Romanian post war refurb replacement rods are completely round with no jag head just a round hole .
View Quote
cleaning rods and other bits
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not sure why but the thought of a Czech coin inletted into the missing crest on the receiver seems neat

Czech coins.
View Quote
The rifle was made in Czechoslovakia for Romania.  So perhaps a Romanian coin would be more appropriate.  Inletting a coin would turn the rifle into a non-shooter by weakening the receiver.

Even though the original crest has been defaced, it is in far, far better condition than the vast majority of Romanian contract Mausers.  Most of the crests were fully and completely removed.  I have had several that had no trace of the crest at all, and one or two that only had a little bit of leaf on each edge.  Were this rifle mine, I would leave the crest as-is.  I do not have a Romanian contract Mauser as good, relatively speaking, as this one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
The rifles were produced (or modified) in, I believe, 25,000 count series, by letter.  "A*#####", etc.  You have a series "S", made for Romania, "R".

"SR#####".  The Czech's made good stuff.  That's why Germany wanted them and their factories.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top