Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:51:47 PM EDT
Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else or if this is the wrong place for my question.
I inherited an Eddystone model 1917 and decided to to add a Nobuckle sling  and M1917 bayonet as a tribute to gradad but am now wondering...
Should the bayonet be sharp to be historically correct or just pointy? It has a bit of in edge but is dull on parts of where one would sharpen it. If it matters, it is a Remington and the scabbard is stamped 1943.
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else or if this is the wrong place for my question.
I inherited an Eddystone model 1917 and decided to to add a Nobuckle sling  and M1917 bayonet as a tribute to gradad but am now wondering...
Should the bayonet be sharp to be historically correct or just pointy? It has a bit of in edge but is dull on parts of where one would sharpen it. If it matters, it is a Remington and the scabbard is stamped 1943.
Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Are you preserving it, or going to "work" with it?

Attachment Attached File

If/When it was me, I wouldn't/didn't sharpen it, instead just settling for patina.

But then again, I also have more modern (and sharp) bayonets to fit my more modern rifles 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not expect to work with it. It will sit in the safe and be taken out to show family and friends.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not sharpen it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Agreed no sharpening. Sharpened bayonets were the work of soldiers in the field trying to add utility to that long heavy hunk of metal they carried. Originally designed not to be sharp. As time went on bayonets became shorter and sharper and looked upon as a more multipurpose tool as opposed to simply a pig sticker. The most recent bayonets the last version of the sheath for the m7 had a built in sharpener as does the current issue m9 type bayonets ( the Marines have a slightly different version)
I will say after one mission with that bayonet dangling off my gear in Iraq catching on stuff I buried it in my duffle. I figured a bunch of guys with guns including belt Feds plus my pistol with five magazines I could not envision a scenario I would be down to bayonets. As luck would have it even with multiple missions was never in a position to fire a single shot. Close a few times but as my primary job was not door kicking I am happy to say neither the guns nor bayonet were ever required
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But then again, I also have more modern (and sharp) bayonets to fit my more modern rifles 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12179/IMG_3480-287960.JPG
View Quote
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but where did you get that carbine bayonet adapter?  I've been looking for one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but where did you get that carbine bayonet adapter?  I've been looking for one.
View Quote
No worries! 

It's the original quick release version from http://www.triple-r-products.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top