Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 8:31:44 PM EDT
I have been thinking about picking up a Mauser for a while but the price/available selection of most 98 flavors has me bummed out.

Tell me about the Argentine 1891, Chilean 1895, and Swedish Mausers. I am not sure if I would go with one of the long or short variations but I would like it be fun and safe to shoot. I have been leaning toward one of the latter two of the three but would like to hear some comparisons.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the Yugo Mausers M48 and 24/47.  Most of them are in great condition and are shooters.  The down side is 8mm Mauser ammo is expensive now. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are open to any sort of Mauser, and not set on a German 98k....

You can't go wrong with Swedish Mausers....incredible workmanship, slick, buttery smooth bolts, and 6.5 Swede is a dream cartridge.

Comfortable shooting, accurate....

Lots of variants to collect, and you can even branch into target models. Prices aren't crazy like other Mausers....

You can find some really beautiful guns...here is a link to one of mine...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?373947-My-Second-Swede-1906-CG

I love my 98k's...but the prices are crazy on them.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are open to any sort of Mauser, and not set on a German 98k....

You can't go wrong with Swedish Mausers....incredible workmanship, slick, buttery smooth bolts, and 6.5 Swede is a dream cartridge.

Comfortable shooting, accurate....

Lots of variants to collect, and you can even branch into target models. Prices aren't crazy like other Mausers....

You can find some really beautiful guns...here is a link to one of mine...

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?373947-My-Second-Swede-1906-CG

I love my 98k's...but the prices are crazy on them.....
View Quote
Would you go with the M96 or the M38?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote M38. I've been looking for a fine example of either a Husqvarna or a Carl Gustafs for a while now, to no avail.

I'm not a super collector or anything, I just want a good matching shooter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would you go with the M96 or the M38?
View Quote
I like the M96 myself...just something more elegant about it....
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. They're all beautiful rifles.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly, you really can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. They're all beautiful rifles.
View Quote
Does anyone have an argument against the Chilean? I see they can be found much cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't really find one. The Chilean 1895s are nice rifles. They're in 7x57 of course, but that's not really a big deal, all of the rifles we are discussing are in old calibers.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#9]
The Swede or Chilean would be great shooters.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want a Mauser that's also a work of art get a Argentine M1891.

Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does anyone have an argument against the Chilean? I see they can be found much cheaper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chilean Mausers are fantastic. Wonderfully smooth bolts, and the 7x57 is one of the best cartridges around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Depending on how you look at it, cock-on-closing that was common on pre-98 action Mausers can be looked upon as a negative.

Turk Mausers can also still be found for relatively cheap.  Turks are great shooters and some have gorgeous wood.

VZ24's pop up from time to time as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Big fan of Swedes have a 96 and 38 already and waiting on a m94 that I won at auction this past week.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
A few weeks ago I picked up a nicely sporterized Swede which I am building up into a hunting rifle. I think the Mauser is THE ideal bolt action rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Chilean Mausers are fantastic. Wonderfully smooth bolts, and the 7x57 is one of the best cartridges around.
View Quote
I can't decide short or long. Also what is the deal with the ones that were intended for the OVS/South Africa? Would those be short or long rifles?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top