Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 7:51:09 PM EDT
I added 3 more checkmarks to my Mauser list this weekend at the local gun show.

Saturday I picked up a Chaing Kai Shek Chinese short rifle for a 100 bucks.  It's... well rough but given it's only the second Chinese that I seen and the other was worse, I couldn't pass it up.  It looks as if and probably was in a rice patty for 50 years.  The stock is beat but there are faint proof marks.  The bore has something growing in it, and despite my scrubbing and cleaning doesn't seem to be improving.  The stock is of a very nice fiddleback walnut and if it wasn't for the fact that it's a rare rifle I would love it refinish it. The crest is rough but visible, and it's all matching except the bolt, shroud, and safety.  It's in the process of being cleaned, I'm sure the spiders in the triggerguard and under the handguard didn't like being displaced, no joke.

Sunday I went back to pick up 2 more that I didn't have time to get on Saturday.

First was a '49 Spanish FR-8 in excellent shape.  The stock has very little wear and the bore is outstanding.  I picked it up for $225 with the bayonet.  It's all matching except the bayonet.
I picked up an original sling for it on the way out.  Anyone have any idea what the 4 apetures on the rear sight are set for distance wise?

Lastly was a 1903 type 45 Siamese Mauser also in excellent shape.  The stock has some wear but nothing major, the bore is bright and shiny. The crest and other markings are crisp.  There are no import markings anywhere except for a crudely penciled serial number.  It's covered by the dust cover when closed.  I know I don't have a snowballs chance in June of finding the 8x50mm Rimmed ammo for it but it would be nice to have a few rounds for it.   I also got it for $225.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Re FR8 Sights:

The rear sight has a dial selector that allows for the choice of apertures for 200, 300 and 400 meters as well as an open ā€œVā€ notch for 100m.

copied from:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/fr8/index.asp

HTH, they have some good FR8 info.

Blitz
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I'll have to get on their sight and check that out.  Waiting for warmer weather to go shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Been to the Medina County show ? ? ?

Missed it over the weekend, but will be there in March -- I hope  ! !

Really nice looking rifles, I would say . . . .
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top