Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2005 5:11:00 AM EDT
i will be ordering one and have a choice between # or letter code. can you reccomend which one and why. ive heard the numbered codes are from earlier years, is this true and would it make for a better collector?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the answers to tyour question, but I'll put in the link below as a starting point.  Someone posted this link a while ago and I happened to save it.  I'm still looking for an RC to match some Mosins I've come across.

www.radix.net/~bbrown/codes_full.html

I hope this is useful for you.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i will be ordering one and have a choice between # or letter code. can you reccomend which one and why. ive heard the numbered codes are from earlier years, is this true and would it make for a better collector?

I recommend getting yourself a copy of  "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard Law asap. You find everything you need to know about K98 codes in that book. I got one right here, so if you are already looking at a few select rifles, post their codes if you want and I will look them up for you.

In answer to your question. It is true, earlier production years bear number codes, but it is impossible to decide which one makes a better collectors item based on code alone. Too much depends on the overall condition of the rifle and what you intend to do with it.

The link provided by giacutter is a very good start. Thank you for that one, well worth a bookmark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top