Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 6:42:48 AM EDT
I talked to Debra Smith from MSP (517-322-5548) regarding this issue.
According to her, a license to purchase (aka purchase permit) IS required for all pistols (unless it is exempt: made on/before 1898) even if you have a C&R license.

So for instance, you want a CZ-52 and you have a C&R license.
You must first obtain the license to purchase and mail it to the seller/vendor along with a copy of your C&R and have them fill out the rest and mail it back to you along with the pistol. Then you'd get the pistol registered as usual.

Now here's the interesting question:
What happens if I don't bother with the purchase permit? Well, according to Debra, the registering agency (aka CLEO) may confiscate the pistol because it was obtained "illegally" under Michigan law, or they may require you to fill out the permit on the spot.

My CLEO now charges $5 for purchase permits. Registration is still "free"
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
ttt

There are lots of people asking about this and yet no one ever answers it nor bothers to follow up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
ttmft
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
While people still debate the issue of whether the 'safety inspection' is necessary for non-shooter pieces, its pretty cut and dry that you don't have to jump through the hoops of sending a purchase permit to the seller, get it returned, yadda, yadda...

p223.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm23.showMessage?topicID=395.topic

p223.ezboard.com/fcurioandrelicfirearmsforumfrm23.showMessage?topicID=661.topic
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While people still debate the issue of whether the 'safety inspection' is necessary for non-shooter pieces, its pretty cut and dry that you don't have to jump through the hoops of sending a purchase permit to the seller, get it returned, yadda, yadda...

Good read but there's a LOT of opinion floating around.

I am a MI C&R holder and I agree with a non shooter that no license is required. So I got a shooter, took it to the Sherifs Office for voluntary 'Saftey inspection' (which we all know is just a front for handgun registration), and was threatened with confiscation because I did not have a purchase permit. I sent a letter to my Sherrif asking for clarification and as of two and a half months later have heard nothing. MI law does not tell us how to get a C&R registered. I will next send a letter to the Attourney General but will probably hear squat. Any ideas out there? Also, is filling out a purchase permit from me to me acutally legal and suficient? And Also, as I have heard asked, does this take the weapon off my C&R as being sold to myself? It just seems like there should be some guidelines for us collectors. Please. please someone help, I was told that if I brought another pistol in to register with no purchase permit I could be arrested. Bryan
PS: Eaton County if anyone cares.

^^^ that is what you do not want happening, and according to MI state law, you must get a purchase permit for the C&R pistol if all you have is a 03 FFL, otherwise it's assumed you obtained the pistol illegally. MI does not care about FEDERAL Law, as most state laws supercede Federal law (e.g. Federal says its OK to own evil no-ban AR-15s with 30rd marked high cap mags, it's not legal to own that in NJ though because of the NJ state law).

I understand many PDs will just register the C&R pistol even if it does not have a purchase permit. Now that I recall, when I registered my Glock 17, I saw a guy with an old looking pistol just take it in w/o a permit. The lady made him fill out a permit and after registration, he was on his way. My local CLEO wants $5 per permit now. However, all it takes is 1 PD to know "more" about the law to ruin your day. According to Debra Smith at MSP, you need to get a purchase permit... whether or not you MUST have the actual seller fill in the seller portion is unknown. I suspect you can get away with just listing yourself as the seller since having C&R firearms shipped to your home (with a 03 FFL) is legal and you're just satisfying state law with the permit. I would probably just get the permit to be on the safe side. Most CLEOs do not charge $$ but mine wants $5. Basically if I have to go through all this hassle just to get some old 50+ year old pistol, I might as well pony up a hundred or more and get a new-in-box pistol like another Glock. C&R rifles are a different story, they're treated like any other long-gun (no registration or permit required).
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That depends on which city or township you live in.  Some cities make it difficult to get pistol permits and then make it difficult to register them after your purchase.  West Bloomfield where I lived only did it Monday thru Friday from 9:00 to 3:30.  Pontiac was worse, they only issues permits on Thursdays for about two hours.  The Kel Tek sub rifles need to be over 30" to avoid getting the handgun permits and registration.  I have friends with CCW permits who can buy handguns without having to obtain purchase permits but they still have ten days to register their handguns.

This idiotic law was created to appease the Ku Klux Klan to make it harder for blacks to purchase handguns to defend themselves.  

Thank G-d I live in Ohio where I can buy or sell handguns without this requirement.  I like to see the Michigan State Police show me how this registration has helped reduce any crime (they probably can't).
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 2:04:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And it has to be used within 10 days...and some areas (like Redford) only will issue the permit to purchase one day a week.
Not as easy as it should be.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#7]
bump (was trying to find Ms. Smith's phone #, it might be useful for other Michiganders with firearms questions)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#8]
To my understanding.... feel free to correct me if you have better information.... is that Yes, you have to get a Permit to Purchase (PTP) before you can receive a C&R pistol just like any other pistol purchase....but, you also do not need a PTP if you have a CCW.  Accordingly, if I have a CCW, I can get a pistol from any dealer and then just take it to the local LE for the inspection and green card AFTER the purchase. The same applies to C & R purchases.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Until mid-1998 is was like this in Missouri.  At that time the legislature changed it for C&R handguns.  It's still like that for modern firearms even with CCW now.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I talked to Debra Smith from MSP (517-322-5548) regarding this issue.
According to her, a license to purchase (aka purchase permit) IS required for all pistols (unless it is exempt: made on/before 1898) even if you have a C&R license.

So for instance, you want a CZ-52 and you have a C&R license.
You must first obtain the license to purchase and mail it to the seller/vendor along with a copy of your C&R and have them fill out the rest and mail it back to you along with the pistol. Then you'd get the pistol registered as usual.

Now here's the interesting question:
What happens if I don't bother with the purchase permit? Well, according to Debra, the registering agency (aka CLEO) may confiscate the pistol because it was obtained "illegally" under Michigan law, or they may require you to fill out the permit on the spot.

My CLEO now charges $5 for purchase permits. Registration is still "free"

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's what I did in Sterling Heights;

I found a C&R pistol located at a dealer in Texas.   I sent him my C&R licenese.  He sent me the pistol.    I went to the PD to register it,  filled out the purchase permit on the spot with the other dealers info and showed them a copy of his FFL.   They were satisfied, and my pistol was registered.    

Sterling Heights is gun-friendly,  and the CLEO will sign off on full auto stuff.

In fact,  the officers at the desk were drooling over my minty 1943  Remington Rand 1911A1.......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top