Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2003 4:52:40 PM EDT
I'm going to be getting a Yugo SKS pretty soon for my (late) 16th B-Day present. When I get it, would it be legal for me to order a pre-ban 30 round mag for it from Cheaper Than Dirt? Keep in mind that I'm in Kalifornia. I think it would be considered fixed because you need to remove the trigger group to put it in (As far as I know). Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not heard of anyone having much success with those high capacity mags in an SKS.

Why not just get some stripper clips and use those?

I'm not a California gun law expert. Good luck.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm going to be getting a Yugo SKS pretty soon for my (late) 16th B-Day present. When I get it, would it be legal for me to order a pre-ban 30 round mag for it from Cheaper Than Dirt? Keep in mind that I'm in Kalifornia. I think it would be considered fixed because you need to remove the trigger group to put it in (As far as I know). Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea if it would be legal or not but it would be pretty silly. The higher capacity mags haven't worked well in the SKSs except in the Chinese models. Even there they have never been know for the reliability of the stock version.

What you might want to do is to stop up in the SKS section of the AK forum and see if you can find some folk that have tried it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on which ATF person you talk to, it is illegal.  Changing the rifle from it's original condition revokes it's curio status.  Anyway, I've heard that the aftermarket mags never feed reliably.  Just get some stripper clips and keep the original fixed mag.  You're going to have a hell of a time with this rifle.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks guys. The main reason that I want a 30 round mag is so I can try bump-firing; but I guess I probably won't get one. If I do, however, I'll only be using it at Edwards AFB, so CA gun laws don't apply anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ok, thanks guys. The main reason that I want a 30 round mag is so I can try bump-firing; but I guess I probably won't get one. If I do, however, I'll only be using it at Edwards AFB, so CA gun laws don't apply anyway.

Bump firing is another not really great idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Why!? If I get "Caught" they can't do anything to me because it's a semi-auto, right? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

California laws most certainly do apply on base.

You'll also want to check with the base. Lots of bases have some pretty heavy restrictions on firearms.

I had to move off base to keep my guns. Never regretted that move. I'd rather protect myself that trust some 18 year old SP's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Mikr (the one who invited me to shoot there) told me that CA gun laws do not apply on base. I don't know if this is just for Edwards AFB, or what.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mikr (the one who invited me to shoot there) told me that CA gun laws do not apply on base. I don't know if this is just for Edwards AFB, or what.

My buddy told me it's legal to make machinenguns.

Catch my drift?

When it all boils down to it, it'll be YOUR ass in the sling if you are busted. I would certainly check to be sure first.

On all the bases i've ever been to, state rules most definitly apply.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#10]
First of all, bringing a high capacity magazine into this state is illegal no matter if it is permanent or not unless you have a high cap mag permit which I highly doubt you have.  

Second, those mags aren't permanent anyway.  Once you remove the original mag, the high caps pop in and out without having to remove the trigger housing.  

Third, once you install that pretty new high cap, you just created an assault weapon.  I don't care where you are or what someone says.  Bayonet lug, semi-auto, detach mag=too many evil features.  SKSs have a special section in the law books all to themselves as well, although it's a bit sketchy and can be interpreted half a dozen ways.  The way I read it, it's legal to do if you want to cut off the bayo lug but you would still have the problem of getting the magazine into Kali.  

Happy belated b-day!  Have fun, be safe, be smart.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh crap, now I feel like a real idiot!! I didn't even think about the bayonet lug!! Damn,
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:would it be legal for me to order a pre-ban 30 round mag for it from Cheaper Than Dirt? Keep in mind that I'm in Kalifornia.

No, it would not be legal to do that in CA. End of story.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know what ya'll are talking about. I have a preban norinco with a folding stock. I have 4 of the 30rd and a 50rd clip and i have put thousands of rds through it over the years without a single feed problem (or a jam for that matter). Maybe I'm just lucky. I picked up a little Ruger Mini-14 at a gun show last weekend and man is that a fun little rifle to play with.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Wolfmax, it's a mag, not a clip.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Hichboy, be aware that CTD and most other dealers won't ship hi-cap mags to the ROK, or weapons on their ban list.
Jim
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, I'm gonna stick with the 10 round mag.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#17]
100% illegal.  Not only can you NOT bring 30 round mags into California, but you would also be turning it into an assult weapon(SB23) and into a SKS  Model"D".  Both of which are cuurently banned.  There may be even more laws that I am not aware of that you may be violating.

nd Edwards is in Cal, so the same laws applly there I am sure.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Remember your Yugo SKS will also have to be one of the models with the evil "grenade launcher" removed as it is considered a destructive device in CA.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Screw that rifle. Get a Swiss k31 and learn to shoot on that. Later you'll be able to get anything you want with the extra few hundred bucks that you saved. Trust me, its a geat rifle and will outshoot that sks any day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The SKS isn't in the same league as far as accuracy.
With the Schmidt-Rubin straight pull style bolt action it's fast to operate. I think I read somewhere that it's about twice as fast as a "normal" bolt action to shoot and you don't have to raise your head.
Jim
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Most 30 round aftermarket SKS mags are absolute POS.  Learn how the use the 10 round strippers and enjoy the rifle in its natural condition.

K31s are great, but the ammo is pricey.  Czech 98/22s are inexpensive and the ammo is cheap.  Another truly great rifle is the Finn M-39.  These are good buys and the ammo is quite reasonable.

Good luck!
Mark
Top Top