Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 9:31:50 PM EDT
Alright, these forms are very poorly designed with no instructions included or on the ATFe website that I can find.

Line 1 asks for the name of the person or corporation applying.  First, WTF would a corp be applying since this is for private collectors, not businesses.  Anyway, my name goes there, fine.

Line 2 asks for the name of the person certifying to citizenship.  I read this as a witness saying yes, this person claims to be, and is a citizen.  Someone in the GD said he believed that you self-certify, so you would put your name down again.

This is pretty important since if it is not done right the application goes nowhere.  Why the hell can't people learn to write forms properly or in the very least provide instructions.

I want to get this in the mail tomorrow.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Line 2 asks for the name of the person certifying to citizenship.  I read this as a witness saying yes, this person claims to be, and is a citizen.  Someone in the GD said he believed that you self-certify, so you would put your name down again.

This is pretty important since if it is not done right the application goes nowhere.  Why the hell can't people learn to write forms properly or in the very least provide instructions.

I want to get this in the mail tomorrow.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Yep, you certify yourself. That's what I and a coworker did. We got our licenses within 30 days  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I went the "Find another person to certify you" route.  Walked down the hall to a co-worker, showed him my passport and asked him to sign the certification.

C&R License arrived about 30 days later.

I think the form is so useless that unless you sign that line Micky Mouse, you'll get your license.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
When I had my interview with the inspector from BATF he laughed about the certification when I asked him about it.  He just shrugged his shoulders and said that everyone certifies themselves which is fine by them.  Good luck
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
There is an interview?  I had never heard that before.  What a hassle.  You have to go down to their offices or is it over the phone?  Is this standard or random?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is an interview?  I had never heard that before.  What a hassle.  You have to go down to their offices or is it over the phone?  Is this standard or random?

i didn't get an interview for mine

i live in wisconsin

from what i've been able to gather reading this forum, it's new york folks who are getting interviews
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:18:08 PM EDT
[#6]
NY residents all get an interview .
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
NY residents all get an interview .

I had not one, but two ATF inspectors come to my house for the interview.  It was relatively painless until they told me they wanted a copy of my lease and a letter from my landlord that it was OK to run a firearms collecting operation in the apartment.  I wrote them a fairly strongy response as follows, which seemed to work:

Dear Inspector ______________:

This letter is provided to you in support of the undersigned’s application for a Federal collector of firearms (curio & relics) license.

The undersigned currently resides in rental apartment __________________ (the “Apartment”).  The Apartment is leased jointly in the name of the undersigned and his wife, _________________________.

This letter will confirm that no term under the lease relating to the Apartment prohibits or otherwise regulates the possession or collection of firearms therein.  New York State law provides that in the absence of a residential lease term prohibiting a specific activity on a premises, a tenant is permitted the “Quiet Enjoyment” of the leased premises, which means the tenant is permitted to occupy and use the space in any legal manner which does not pose undue disturbance to other tenants.

Accordingly, the granting of a Federal collector of firearms license to the undersigned applicant would not be in conflict in any way with the tenant’s lease or legal rights to occupy the space and is permitted under New York State law without express permission of the landlord.  In fact, the landlord would have no legal basis on which to oppose the activity of the tenant in these circumstances, and any attempt to do so would subject the landlord to liability for interference with the tenant’s right of quiet enjoyment.

The undersigned will supplementally submit to your agency a copy of the lease relating to the apartment upon your written request.

Yours very truly,

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
A firearms collecting "OPERATION"?  What the hell is that.  You are either a business or individual engaged in the business of selling firearms or you are a collector.

Phil, what area of the state do you live in?

I would really love to know what section of the relevant USC statute gives them the authority to require any of this.  I have to believe that if such requirements were allowed they would be done by every regional office, and not just NY.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Upper West Side, Manhattan.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Phil, so far its sounding like everyone that has received an interview is in the NYC/LI region.  Any NYers from North of the City want to chime in.

Also Phil and Green, when did you apply?  Wave was immediately post 9-11 which could explain things for him, how about you guys?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I applied October 2001.  By the way, my license was issued July of 2002.  A friend in White Plains also was subjected to an interview as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
It took more than seix months?  Holy friggin crap!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top