Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 11:20:46 PM EDT
I checked the Mosin Nagant enthusiast boards (both of them) and have not found any specific insturctions on re blueing my Mosin.  They state that you should use Birchwood Casey Superblue because it replicates the original finish the best.  They just advise to follow the insturctions of the bottle.  Anybody know of a good site with more specific instructions and pictures if possible?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's really easy to blue a firearm.

Follow the instructions on the bottle.

Basically, prep the area by removing all surface oil, etc. I use Gunscrubber.

Wipe off any access solvent with a dry towel, you will now have a bright shiny spot.

I use some 0000 steel wool to make sure the area is nice and smooth at this point.

Wipe down with a clean rag again.

Apply the bluing solution. I use cotton patches.

Wipe off the bluing solution with hot, soapy water.

Dry each part.

I use some 0000 steel wool again, just to make sure the bluing is nice and smooth.

I then reblue the area. The reason I blue it twice is because I have found it looks a bit better, and it seems to stand up a bit longer.

Once you are done bluing, just spray the part with CLP.

Not too hard!

There are more instructions at www.surplusrifle.com, and they have pictures of each step. The rifle he blues is a M44 Nagant.

Av.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownell's sells a product called Oxpho-Blue.  It is alot more durable and rust resistant than the Birchwood Casey product, and just as easy to use.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I second what Avalon01 said, but if you check the surplusrifle.com link, you will find a movie clip where he is actually bluing a Mauser, and it shows how it is done, it is a low quality video but informative enough.

BR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top