Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
Did a search with no results.

Just started looking for an 80% receiver. Seems like an 80% will end up costing the same after transfer fees unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Any 80% receivers to look at or stay away from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
By the time you are through most of the time, it is cheaper to buy a complete gun, I have looked at them several times and just buy a gun and modify the way I want.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a true statement.

If you don't look too close at the $$$, and use spare parts from other projects the appeal of building your own has some value also.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah they can end up being more costly than buying a 100% one and fees. But some people just want to be able to say "I made it myself", or just find finishing themselves interesting. Then theres the ones who want a "ghost gun".

I bought a stripped 10/22 receiver from NoDak Spud. Its very nice. Only thing I found weird was it uses a Weaver rail for a Marlin 336.

Edit: I seen on their website that they are discontinuing the 10/22 receivers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah they can end up being more costly than buying a 100% one and fees. But some people just want to be able to say "I made it myself", or just find finishing themselves interesting. Then theres the ones who want a "ghost gun".

I bought a stripped 10/22 receiver from NoDak Spud. Its very nice. Only thing I found weird was it uses a Weaver rail for a Marlin 336.

Edit: I seen on their website that they are discontinuing the 10/22 receivers.
View Quote
Wanting a ghost gun is fully understandable, I have built 28 AR platform ghost guns, but the 10/22 platform is not a good area to play in the game.  Of course that is just my opinion.  What ever you do, good luck and please post pictures.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
One of these?  You can find factory Ruger takeoff parts pretty cheap on ebay, gunbroker, etc.  It's too bad the whole Rockethub thing didn't work out like it started- at one point you could buy 80% 10/22 receivers for $25/each.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of these?  You can find factory Ruger takeoff parts pretty cheap on ebay, gunbroker, etc.  It's too bad the whole Rockethub thing didn't work out like it started- at one point you could buy 80% 10/22 receivers for $25/each.  
View Quote
I've got four or five of the Rockethub receivers stashed away somewhere.  They were a great deal for us that bought in early, but didn't a bunch of people get screwed?  It was basically just a pyramid scheme.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I seem to recall that as well.  I've got two of them and the jig and bits to finish them- all still sitting in a drawer.  One of these days I'll get around to finishing them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5 of the rockethub receivers, had no idea it went south.  Still havent built any of them but figured for 100 bucks for 5 why not.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You do not build your own guns to save money.  It is usually more money to do so and you always risk screwing it up and ending up out of more money.  Perhaps a good analogy is making home brew.  It is a whole lot easier and cheaper to just go buy a case of Budweiser and you will get a known, consistent product versus making your own.  

That doesn't mean you shouldn't make your own.

Tactical Machining and Razor were companies produces them a couple years ago.   Both of these companies produced receiver blanks with integrated rails.

These may be among the most difficult 80% products to successfully complete.  Getting the hole for the barrel right is critical.  It all depends on your abilities, persistence and risk tolerance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top