Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 11:54:01 PM EDT
My dad got me my first rifle, a 10/22 carbine, back in 1982. It's a completely stock rifle, but I was thinking of upgrading the firing pin and extractor. Have any of you guys felt the need to upgrade these parts? I have never tried any of the bulk packs, but I have heard some horror stories, usually with more current production guns, but I haven't heard any stories from the one's built in the past. Have you guys had any issues with shooting the bulk packs in your older guns? In all these years, it has only gotten a steady diet of CCI brand ammo, either hollow points, or round nose, without one FTF or FTE.

Also, if I did decide to upgrade the firing pin and extractor, which brand should I go with, Volquartsen, Kidd, or does it matter? It seems more of a preference thing, from what I have been reading, but before I spend money, I would like to get a couple opinions. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope... my 87 model is still chewing up brick after brick.....   only issue is that the front sight has gotten loose in the dovetail, so I took it off and leave it at home....  

it wears an el cheap Simmons scope in see through rings, and shoot like it did years ago.....  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
If it ain't broke... don't fix it (until it is).
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. Why do you want to upgrade the extractor and firing pin OP.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My 1978 vintage still has the original extractor and firing pin.  

And it was used heavily it's first three or four years.  As in 1000 rounds a week for 8 weeks or so was not uncommon.  During the summer months.  Prairie dog hunting was my favorite pastime.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To ensure reliability with the stock firing pin and extractor that's in an older rifle, even when using bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 12:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Insure reliability with the stock firing pin and extractor that's in an older rifle, even when using bulk ammo.
View Quote
What makes you think (or what evidence do you have) that changing these parts will impact on functioning and reliability of other brands of ammunition?
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My 1967 model still has all of the original parts and it has never failed to go bang when I pull the trigger, in fact as the other thread asked, I don't even remember the last time I cleaned that damn thing, it has over 50 thousands rounds through it and it still keep shooting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:28:57 AM EDT
[#8]
1985'ish 10/22, cheap ass Simmons scope........still going strong.

the only problem I've ever had with the rifle was with Wolf ammo about 25 years ago. One of the cartridges I used appeared to be over loaded and blew up ruining my original magazine. I bought another factory mag but it put me off on Wolf ammo for ever. And no, I did not complain to the company, I did not report the batch, I just kicked myself for buying the crap.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 10/22 that I bought new in 1982.  Other than an AR type adjustable length stock and scope, the  only changes have been an extended length mag release and a nylon bolt buffer rod swapped for the original steel one.

Thousands of rounds fired.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Original owner of a  '78 rifle that dad bought for me when I was eight.  It is still bone stock except for the barrel band that I replaced in the '90s.  Its reliability is absolutely phenomenal.  It has jammed on me fewer than a dozen times over the years. I've been thinking of replacing the trigger for the last 30 years but still haven't done it
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What makes you think (or what evidence do you have) that changing these parts will impact on functioning and reliability of other brands of ammunition?
View Quote
There are stories of 10/22's being finicky with bulk ammo. It seemed the majority of the stories came from people who have bought recent production rifles. My question was to people who owned older rifles, if theirs was as finicky. If it was, then I would assume mine was and just replace the parts mentioned. Valquartsen has a "Bolt Tune Up Kit" that has the parts I mentioned for about $30. To some that's a minimal investment to ensure their rifle is going to function as reliable as it can. Since others have answered my question, I think I am ok. Thank you very much for your concern though
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Most of the problems with the 10-22s choking are ammo related. Quality bulk like CCI Blazer should run well. Ammo like Federal AutoMatch and lesser ammo seems to give occasional failures. Not a big deal unless you are shooting in a match under time. If your gun is running and has a history of reliability I wouldn't mess with it.

I have old and recent 10-22s. My jammer is an older gun. It never jams with CCI though. The Aguila standard vel ammo is proving to be good cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most of the problems with the 10-22s choking are ammo related. Quality bulk like CCI Blazer should run well. Ammo like Federal AutoMatch and lesser ammo seems to give occasional failures. Not a big deal unless you are shooting in a match under time. If your gun is running and has a history of reliability I wouldn't mess with it.

I have old and recent 10-22s. My jammer is an older gun. It never jams with CCI though. The Aguila standard vel ammo is proving to be good cheap ammo.
View Quote
Thanks! The bolded part was what I was thinking about. I have been finding CCI Mini Mag for $6/100 and have stashed more than enough to do an Appleseed next month. Even though the upgrades were only $30, if it's not broke, I would rather not mess with it. Also, I was thinking of getting a set of  Spud Sights for it and that $30 will help offset the cost.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#14]
A new firing pin won't help anything if the old one is working fine. To see a benefit you need to pin the firing pin channel of the bolt and that means drilling through the hardened steel bolt yourself or sending it off.

There is no question that extractors such as KIDD or VQ are better, but that does not mean the Ruger one does not work well. I like to remove the OEM extractor and stone the top and bottom flat, removing any burrs. Then I stone the outside of the hook portion so it glides in and out of the barrels extractor cut.

Another popular mod is to radius the back bottom of the bolt where it cocks the hammer when it cycles. Adding a slight angle and polishing it and the corresponding hammer surface make for a smoother operating action and help with subsonic loads.

Then there is the recoil spring guide rod, aftermarket ones are much smoother and straighter than OEM ones, but a polished up OEM is better than a stock OEM one. This makes a huge difference in how smooth the action is and increases reliability.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Another popular mod is to radius the back bottom of the bolt where it cocks the hammer when it cycles. Adding a slight angle and polishing it and the corresponding hammer surface make for a smoother operating action and help with subsonic loads.
View Quote
If I had problems with bulk back that is probably where I would start.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My 1984 still running strong, and stock. I wouldn't change a thing on it...still a great shooter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Only modification I did to my 81' 10/22 is update the mag release several years ago.  Another one running a 4x Simmons on top.  Keeps eating brick after brick.  Might misfire every now and then but thats ammo related, gun feeds and extracts.

CD
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine was made in 88 and the internals are all factory.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 87 that I have never done anything to besides shoot it and clean it every once in a while . I couldn't begin to guess the round count but it would have to be in the tens of thousands (more than likely well over 50,000). The only thing to brake was the barrel band. It just fell off in two pieces one day when I was out shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top