Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2017 10:11:14 PM EDT
Is the cheaper cci mini mag a better round for a semi auto?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is the cheaper cci mini mag a better round for a semi auto?

Thanks.
View Quote

Can't comment on semis, but out of my RAR at 35 yards, cci minimags both 36gr HP and 40gr RN both grouped about 5/8" (groups about 1" from eachother), while the Winchester was lucky enough to group 1.25"

I would like to think that they would function better as well in regards to cycling the action. Even if they don't work, I'm sure they'll not work all the time, where the Winchester will be hit or miss.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found it both less reliable and less accurate than just about anything else except Remington. My otherwise relentlessly reliable guns choke on the stuff, and I notice on firing in a pistol excessive debris bounce of my forearm when using it. Got a couple hundred during the shortage but won't buy again
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I didn't have issues with it cycling (but again, bolt action rifle)... the bullets didn't try to jam up or anything crazy, no stuck cases.

I just can't expect ammo that groups twice as big as most other flavors to cycle consistently. It can't be just the barrel/bullet not agreeing, there's got to be variation in powder charge as well. I've seen this junk jam up a very old hardware store semi (worn out spring, cleaned and lubed).
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a reason why so many people call the brand " Crapchester ".
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a few of the red plastic hundred round packs of the super X stuff about a year ago and i had a shit load of duds. Pretty inconsistent shooting too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Winchester 22 ammo is today's version of Remington .22 ammo in the 90's - garbage. Lots of duds and the case head is too thin and causes lots of FTE in every .22 rifle (12) and pistol (1) I own. Wouldn't take a brick if it was gave to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a variety of .22LR firearms. None of them like Super X in regard to accuracy. I don't recall any feeding problems in the semis, levers, or my one bolt gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a time 10-15 years ago that I would buy every brick of Winchester Dynapoints 22lr I could find. That stuff was great. Now the x22 is a very pale comparison. None of my firearms seem to like it and the failure rate is high. Now the newer Rem Golden bullet has impressed me a bit. The garbage of yesteryear has changed and makes a decent round again. My two LTR's absolutely love the stuff, and the accuracy from it in stock barrels kinda left me speechless. I brought it to burn up the rounds and break them in, and at the same time found the magic round for them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Granted I've only shot about 150 rds of the super x, but I didn't have a single dud or otherwise ftf.

Fwiw this ammo was bought over a year ago, and kept in 50 cans. It was in my truck bed the whole way from camp pendleton to dayton, so it got shaken up plenty. I figure if there was going to be a dud from the priming compound crumbling out of the rim, that would do it. I40 in western AZ is pretty heinous on the suspension...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#10]
25 years ago it was the only .22 ammo I bought. Now a days not so much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
It's ok, but I've had better luck accuracy wise with cci minimags, both weights. With the stock 10/22 barrel it was close, but with my kidd lightweight it was a little more noticeable. I did a side by side grouping test of 21 different "cheap" ammos and for me it was middle of the road. Every gun likes ammo differently. Try them out, if you like the results buy more. If you try different ammo back to back, put about 20 rounds into a different target before grouping. It will either wax the barrel if needed or clean the wax out if the previous round waxed it heavily. Now that my suppressor is finally in my hands, i need to get more varieties of standard velocity and run another test.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a time 10-15 years ago that I would buy every brick of Winchester Dynapoints 22lr I could find. That stuff was great. Now the x22 is a very pale comparison. None of my firearms seem to like it and the failure rate is high. Now the newer Rem Golden bullet has impressed me a bit. The garbage of yesteryear has changed and makes a decent round again. My two LTR's absolutely love the stuff, and the accuracy from it in stock barrels kinda left me speechless. I brought it to burn up the rounds and break them in, and at the same time found the magic round for them.
View Quote
Exactly the same with me. Dynapoints used to be my go to .22 round. Consistently accurate, and was quiet thru a suppressor. I got my last couple bricks at Kmart when they quit selling guns and ammo.

I've also been having good luck with the Remington golden bullets lately too, but generally i use good old standard velocity CCI.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:26:25 AM EDT
[#13]
To me, it's the equivalent of steel cased/bimetal ammo in an AR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Never thought I'd say this after the crap Remington put out for a while, but Winchester is by far the worst rimfire ammo currently available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top