Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2003 11:02:37 AM EDT
This doesn't happen every shot, just every other shot or so.  The round will fire but the next shot will just click.  The bolt has closed on the shell when it is half-way out of the gun.  Much like a .45 stovepipe but sideways.

Anybody know what causes this and how to fix it?  Sounds like a spring to me, but I just shoot 'em, I don't know how to fix 'em.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 11:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of rifle is it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Duh!!!  It's been a long day and I guess it was my turn for a brain fart.  It is a Ruger 10/22. Standard model, no bells and whistles or anything.

Appreciate any help.  Thanks for catching my obvious oversight.

Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it do it all the time, or just when its dirty?

It could be a spring, or it could just be gumming up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
what kind of ammo were you using?  when was the last time the rifle was cleaned?  did the gun feel any differnt when it fired? did the shell eject when you pulled the botl back
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing it's your extractor, could be the spring. You can buy a Ti extractor for about 10 bucks. Fairly easy to replace but I would do a little more looking for the problem before I ran out and bought one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2003 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Gun was cleaned several times.  It happens when it's clean and when it's dirty.  The bolt crushes the shell when it closes.  The shell is partway out of the gun and sideways.  It will fall out when you open the bolt and shake the rifle.  

Thanks for the replys.  I appreciate it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmm,I had the same problem as you.I chamferred the bolt and took the 10 round magazine apart and wound the spring 2 more turns.The rifle never jams or failures to eject.No more stovepipes either.I got these tips and tricks from Rimfirecentral.com.Click on 10/22 tips and tricks.Just my .223 and hopes this helps!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]
A Volquartsen extractor fixed it for me.  Mine was stovepiping like that every other round.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have mentioned, make sure you check that the extractor slot (that little slot in the breech of your barrel) is not fouled. If clean, check whether it is deep enough and permits the extractor claw to engage to rim of the casing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top