Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I preface this by saying I normally average 7-8:00/mi for a marathon.

I finished a workout in the barn last week at 100.4 degrees, strapped on the PC (26# loaded w/mags) and ran the one-mile trail loop at my house with 138' elevation change twice down, twice back up in 13:31.

I. Was. Dying.

I've done this run many times before, but don't think I've ever done it in that heat. Garmin gave me a "Toasty" badge for that activity.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well this here is a very contentious subject.  There are several things going on here.  First of all, your estimate of sit, and whether the fuckers are needed in the first place.  Then evaluating your terrain and situation to decide where and when you can use BA, vs those times when it might be better not to (lots of opinions on that one).  Then figuring out what kit you need, and putting in the work to use it.  

So plate carriers in hot climates.  Threat level requires them?  yes/no.  Terrain, weather, mission requirements allow for their use (regardless of fitness levels)?  yes/no.  Your choice of kit actually works?  yes/no.  You are in shape to use it?  yes/no.  

Threat level is up to you to decide, then you can plug into the rest of it.  Get in shape.  Get good kit.  Determine limits of use (terrain, weather, etc).  It's sort a continuous loop, as your fitness improves, as you discover what kit works better, and as you discover up to what points/limits you can actually use it.  In your case (as in all of us), you need to lose some weight, find a better PC (as time and money allow), get out and do more training, and establish some personal SOP with this stuff.

Short answer to your question, training in a PC in hot weather and/or any other uncomfortable circumstances is not a WAFWOT (non-jarheads: what a fucking waste of time).  

Hey Gunny, I've seen guys using those "Ice Plates" (Sheriff's deputies, and 19th Group SF dudes) and have used them myself.  They are legit. It cools the blood in the major back/front muscles, which is like a big radiator, right?  Then you drink it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It cools the blood in the major back/front muscles, which is like a big radiator, right?  Then you drink it.  
View Quote

you cool your blood and then drink your blood? Kinky
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Exactly what threat are you trying to counter and what price are you willing to pay in terms of mobility, speed, and loss of performance?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you need a PC you need a PC. I’ve worked in very hot S TX and now in very hot S AZ and been in a PC daily at work for nearly a decade. They suck to wear in the heat, they suck to wear in the rain, they suck to wear in the cold, they suck to hike mountains in, they suck to clear resaccas in, they suck to train in, they suck to jump fences in, they suck to clear tunnels in…they are generally not comfortable to wear all day. When I don’t need one, I don’t wear it. 4-5 days a week 8-14 hours a day has made me hate wearing a PC, but I do…it sucks, you just kind of get used to it…if you have to.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I mow my grass with a push mower for approximately 1.5 miles per my Garmin watch, pushing and pulling it up and down the backyard. The plates weigh 8 pounds each. Take your time and work the weight up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Pre-hydrate.

I'm a weekend warrior, I admit it. I exercise indoors during the week with the exception of my 10,000 steps outside I do daily (most of my jogging now is on a treadmill).   It's not until the weekends I'm pretty much outdoors all day long getting after it.  The problem with being a weekend warrior is that you can easily forget to properly hydrate during the week and then that's going to cost you on that weekend when you're pushing yourself hard outdoors in high heat no matter how much you drink the day of.  Muscles need that that hydration or you will cramp, get fatigued faster, or if you're like me I'll get muscle spasms from not being properly hydrated.

We should do a thread on food and water on the move.  I've seen a lot of different approaches to water filtration as well as food selection and food prep.  For example, I know a lot of guys like Jet Boils and dehydrated foods, but I honestly prefer for speed just MREs.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couple of tips to help the OP out.

1.  The cummerbund for the plate carrier should be attached as low as possible on the back plate bag and as high as possible to the front plate bag.  This will push the rear plate up, which will provide better coverage for your back and better weight distribution/comfort on your back.

2.  High Temperatures mean you will breath heavier and that means more expansion of your chest cavity.  A tight plate carrier is a comfortable one, but a tight plate carrier reduces your ability to breath heavier/more efficiently in high heat. The solution to this problem is an elastic cummerbund for high heat/high mobility.   The elastic cummerbund will hold the front and rear plate bag tight and in place while being able to expand while you breath deeply and heavily.

3.  Check out Qore Performance Ice Plate Pontoons/Vents, whatever they call them.  In short, pontoons that you sew into or attach via already available velcro on your front and rear plate bag will increase bulk, but will also provide a channel for air to flow somewhat reducing the retention of heat.

4.  Hydrate.  You will sweat more heavily in a plate carrier and you must adjust your water consumption accordingly. If you want help figuring out how much water you should be drinking get the sweat test strips from Gatorade, pretty simple way to questimate what your water consumption should be based on your sweat loss (some dudes sweat heavier than others).   There are more sophisticated ways of calculating your water consumption requirements that Tri-Athletes use, but the Gatorade strips are cheaper and I think decent unless you're going all out to do an Iron Man or something.

5.  20-30 LBS is no joke. You're in the obese category and don't feel bad about it society is set up to encourage you to be obese.  You've got o do something about it though, so instead of investing more in ammunition or fancy gear it's time to invest in yourself, your core 1.0 kit, which is your body.   I would do the following:

A.  Hire a nutrition coach that will help you calculate your calorie and macronutrient consumption. There are many options, they range in price and in level of service provided.  I have used a company called StrongerU in the past, but now I do it myself because I learned how to do it after two years of being coached in it.

B.  Hire a personal trainer.  You need to discuss with a certified personal trainer your physical issues (bad shoulder, bad knee, and so forth) and you need to come up with a realistic exercise routine you can consistently maintain.  Stop "show lifting", stop doing the same workout you followed after reading a Muscle and Fitness magazine in high school.  Make sure you're using good form with a second pair of well trained eyes on you.  I'm not saying you have to be Hollywood and have a trainer for every session here on out, but at least do a few sessions with a trainer to dial in your form. Avoiding injury and keeping consistently training will unlock your ability to get in shape.

C.  If you're an extravert look for a gym that is highly social with perhaps good group classes to help. If you're an introvert get some home gym equipment like a Rogue Power Rack, Assault Bike, Concept Rower.

D.  Learn the value of compression sleeves and rehabilitative massage.  Learn how to foam roll. Learn how to stretch, yoga isn't a bad idea.   Give your bones time to harden and toughen since you're placing 20-30 lbs more on them than they're basically rated for.  Don't run on hard concrete surfaces, get good running shoes, trying incorporating things like swimming laps into your workout routine.  Remember growth happens when you rest properly after a good workout so the rest period is absolutely important.  Saunas and cold tubs can be extremely helpful as well.

Just remember, you're an important part of the security of our free state.  It is your civic duty to be capable of serving in a light infantry role in a well regulated unit if called upon to do so.  Train, eat, exercise, and equip yourself accordingly.
View Quote

This is great advice except the diet plan.

Just do keto, man. Counting calories will work for a few pounds for young healthy guys. You sir are in full blown metabolic syndrome. Reducing calories will cause your body to down regulate your bmr. You’ll be miserable and fail.

Keto is so easy after the first couple weeks. Tons of info on this site and elsewhere. Anyone telling you calories in/calories out, run away from them. 30 pounds means you’re too far gone. Someone will come along and say they did it. Just keto.

Also let us see those plates. 21 pounds seems heavy. I invested in the best/lightest, painful but only cried once.

And a new carrier.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Carrying a 27lb. 7.62 with multiple belts for it, +hydration, +IBA, +3 days worth of patrol gear, +ACH = misery.  Doing it day after day after day sucks even more. Doing it in 110+ temps blows donkey dick. I was in collegiate athlete shape. 11:20-11:40 2 mile, 120 push-ups in 2 minutes, 100-110 sit-ups in 2 minutes. Could ruck a 12 miler with 60 lbs pack and all associated gear in 2 hours flat.

Disclaimer: I couldn’t do any of that shit now. I too, am 35 lbs heavier than I was at that time, but I’m not out of shape.

Point: it fucking sucked. It sucks more now. If you want to wear your rig, do it. The more you do it the less it sucks. You’re a civi. Get a better PC. You have options. There is a reason I don’t even own a PC or plates. They are in the plans, but very minimalist. Slickster, daedon, tactec.. etc..

Getting shot sucks. Being in our shtf dreams, being shot really sucks. No one will fix you. Better have the accompanying medical knowledge and tools to fix that, if fixable at all. Transfusion? Not a chance. Infection? Absolutely. Do you want to die fast or slow? Accept the fact you’re a dead man walking. Get a chest rig, move lighter. Buy a thermal. Get NV. Get friends who know what the hell they’re doing. Train with them. All of these will significantly increase your chances of survival vs. a PC. If anything protect your damn noggin first.

As a past personal trainer with over 6k sessions. I’ll tell you my big secret that WORKS.
GET UP AND MOVE.  Run, jump, climb, and swim. I PROMISE, without eating complete shit, you’ll see the desired results.

My .02
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Good post. Heat/Humidity will destroy you. Imagine doing Ranger School in a III+/IV PC - nobody ever wanted the 203 Vest with dummy rounds, LOL. It's the sometimes too often used METT-T or "It Depends". Extended humping through the woods with a PC (don't forget your Ruck...and water...and more than 4/5/6 mags of ammo because 'no resupply'), is going to be a solid "no" from me A lot of Vehicle/Urban - now we can talk. But that's just me.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top