User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

exactly the second part. I have insurance that will buy me nicer shit than I have now. No reason to get into a fight if I can help it. they don't have to be better than me, just lucky once. I can go small with a rifle and keep a stairway pretty open.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for nothing, but just looking at entrance to upper stairway, to 2nd floor, where bedrooms are located, I notice a door on lower entrance to stars could be installed.  Might have to consider that.    not really an option at my house

Having said that, I ask you whether your wife/kids are better off having a possibly dead husband/father going downstairs and taking on some TV-stealing burglar, assuming you can take a good, defensible position at top of stairs at little risk to yourself, or them.  Not sure you meant so, just asking the question, for clarification.  Possible some miscommunication here.  No offense intended!  I never said I was going hunting. I can post up prone at the top of the stairs and see my whole front yard, most of my front entrances and windows, and decorative mirrors help me see some of the back, too. Kids and wife behind (and in a tile tub) means they are protected. Anything that is in front is fair game until the cops come.

Quoted:

Yup. Consider the staircase a choke point, ensure loved ones are behind you, and just defend the choke point.

I'll go downstairs and do fancy tactical bullshit if someone I care about is still down there. Otherwise I'm not exposing myself to any additional risk and leaving loved ones unguarded to save my TV.

exactly the second part. I have insurance that will buy me nicer shit than I have now. No reason to get into a fight if I can help it. they don't have to be better than me, just lucky once. I can go small with a rifle and keep a stairway pretty open.
I think you "get it".  Defense of family is one thing, defense of computer or TV something else.

Many ways "armor" your house to deter intrusions, and that money spent is money back on re-sale of the house, and while living there.  "Prevention is the best cure"--B Franklin

No home invasion/defense expert, but I listen to credible folks.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Just my opinion but this falls under the category of everyone’s eyes are different. I used to spend the money for night sights and then I actually started training low light and no light.

For me, they are a waste of $100+. If it’s dark enough for me to see them, it’s dark enough that I can’t properly ID my target. If it’s light enough to properly ID my target, it’s light enough not to need them. Once I turn my light on, it washes them out anyway.

Again, just my experience.

You absolutely should have a light on your hand gun. The end. Bright AF too. Again, for my eyes, even purposely shinning 1200+ lumen lights at white walls, within a few feet, with dark adjusted eyes, does not interfere with my sight.

If it does for you, that can be mitigated with proper training. You absolutely want the brightest light. It’s not just about illumination. There are other aspects to consider such as defeating surrounding light while looking into shadows. Mixed lighting conditions. Defeating the bad guys light.  Looking through regular glass and perhaps tinted glass, and other scenarios which could present themselves.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just my opinion but this falls under the category of everyone’s eyes are different. I used to spend the money for night sights and then I actually started training low light and no light.

For me, they are a waste of $100+. If it’s dark enough for me to see them, it’s dark enough that I can’t properly ID my target. If it’s light enough to properly ID my target, it’s light enough not to need them. Once I turn my light on, it washes them out anyway.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've only found night sights beneficial if I'm in an urban area with shadows and residual light from buildings, street lights etc. and I'm NOT carrying a WML.  It's a small niche requirement, but if you're past PID and in an engagement with a threat, they do offer some assistance at target acquisition.  I would prefer just a WML over night sights, but I don't always carry a WML on my CCW.

Quoted:
You absolutely should have a light on your hand gun. The end. Bright AF too. Again, for my eyes, even purposely shinning 1200+ lumen lights at white walls, within a few feet, with dark adjusted eyes, does not interfere with my sight.

I think the OP is asking if your primary is a rifle (or AR pistol) and you have a WML, do you need one on your handgun as well.  We could what-if this forever, but I don't think it's a necessity if it's not your primary.  I still have a tactical hand-held light on all my belt setups, so I can still do some functions the old-school way.  From a light-fighter approach, I also don't think it's necessary and it just adds holster bulk and weight (yes, ounces add up to pounds).  For home defense though?  Why not?  A WML on a pistol is far more maneuverable in tight areas than even an AR pistol with WML.  Even with a primary rifle with WML, it's not so much a necessity to have one on your handgun as it is just common sense; the weight and bulk are negligible for the short-term "mission" and if you have to check in smaller closets, under beds, or tight areas, it's much easier with a handgun and WML.  

So, while I don't think a WML is necessary if it's your backup, it's hard to argue against it for basic home-defense training.  Much of my regular training includes FTF/FTE and transition drills.  While I typically have a handheld light on my belt, having a WML on my handgun/backup in a low/no light environment keeps the fluidity of those transition drills.  I have all the faith in my home-defense primary and WML, but there are also certain drills that are just better suited to a handgun, especially when you get into needing a free hand (yeah, I a sling for my primary) while still needing illumination, or searching in tight/narrow areas.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If it goes bang... and I'm using it for defense....it gets a light.
as to Night sites...
on pistols without an RDS..a Ameriglo green up front, black in the rear
RDS equipped pistols. No night sites, all black front and rear.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Personal preference and it honestly comes down to how you train and how often you train. Reasonable minds can differ and argue about what is required.

I will say it is nice to be able to go one handed with a pistol mounted light if need be.  If I have to I can switch my X300V to constant on and go one handed to hold or carry something with the other hand.  

I do carry a normal hand-held light as well though, a Surefire G2x for basic search and when in its low power mode navigation.  Civilians have the tightest ROE and so there is a lot of value to having a hand held. I keep a Thyrm Switchback on my G2x and it does allow me to do a great deal with it thanks to the ring, but it did take me a lot of practice to get to the point where using it in conjunction with a pistol feels "right" and honestly it still feels rather odd to me compared to the more simple to use Surefire X300V.  

Little interesting note. I just purchased a Surefire X300V and compared it to my older 600 lumen Surefire X300. I noticed that I get the same distance/throw with the X300V as I do with the X300, but I the X300 had more flood/spill than the X300V.  My assessment is that candela seems to be the determinative factor for distance/throw and that lumens seems to be the determinative factor for flood/spill.  Maybe I'm wrong though and it has more to do with the shape the bezel's reflector?  

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Two is one, one is none?

Handheld is backup to pistol. Pistol light is backup to rifle. Also Pistol light is backup to handheld.

I use a Surefire X300U-A to quick swap on pistols.
Streamlight Protac HLX handheld.
Modlite, Arisaka, or HLX railmount on rifles.

A handheld is at a huge disadvantage vs dedicated pistol light in terms of speed, accuracy, and flexibility. You can't really shoot two handed with a handheld.

Only pocket pistols don't have weapon lights.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Generally yes. Some people say they don't like it or don't need it, but your flashlight doesn't illuminate your sights, and if it's dark enough that you need to use a light then it's probably dark enough that you could use some help seeing your sights.

This changes if you have a red dot, however. Everything I'm about to say is a matter of perspective and preference, so bear in mind that other more experienced people may have a different position on this than me, but I don't like when a pistol has both night sights and a red dot. I've found that it makes my sight picture feel cluttered. I didn't like having other glowing dots competing for my eye's attention with the dot that I actually want to aim with.
View Quote

My rear sight is black, only the front has a vial. I can ignore it, focus on the target, and the front sight is not an issue. I wouldn't want the dots at the rear when they are just a backup.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People that think you have to point the light at something to ID it have never tried a real light.

I bump mine on at the ground or ceiling and I can see the whole room.
View Quote

Beat me to it.   No need to aim to PID.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good idea to have if you need to clear tight spaces or if your primary weapon fails.
View Quote

Yep.  There are times I've sat my 10.5" rifle down and pulled the pistol to get into really tight spaces.  Probably not something normal for SHTF, but in that scenario, an extra flashlight is never a bad idea anyways.

And no such thing as too bright, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#10]
If I'm going to war I don't know why I wouldn't want a light on my pistol.  Its not that big, its not that expensive, and I'd be using a safariland anyways so holsters aren't limited.   I'll probably also have a small handheld in a pocket & a penlight somewhere on my carrier.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Let me ask you this: If your primary weapon (rifle w/ light) is down and you've transitioned to your pistol, is the weapon light on your rifle any good at all to you in that situation?

View Quote

It can be if youve trained to make use of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
After so many responses, it seems reasonable to say that a Home-Defense firearm ought to have a light mounted to it, or a separate tactical light instantly available.

Some firearms lend themselves to attached lights, and some do not.  No way to attach a light to most of my revolvers.

No matter what one has, or obtains, the key point is to TRAIN with what you have, be it primary or secondary lighting system.

There can be nothing worse than shooting the wrong person.  I think we can all agree on that.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If it’s dark enough for me to see them, it’s dark enough that I can’t properly ID my target.

View Quote

You might want to spend some of your training time in transitional light with targets that arent lightly colored.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top