Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally got all the parts I needed after waiting several weeks and had time to put it all together.

I used one of the OPS core ebay h-napes, some rails from gunnook, a wilcox shroud and some 4D deluxe pads.

I ended up buying a solid carbide bit to do the holes and it made it easy to drill.  Cut through the kevlar like butter and didn't tear out too bad.  Super-glued every hole re-drilled and trimmed the fur.

This thing fits like a glove and is muy comfortable with the 4D pads feels like I am wearing nothing!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Some dude is doing conversions and selling on eBay and Facebook for $400 now. Wow.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some dude is doing conversions and selling on eBay and Facebook for $400 now. Wow.
View Quote

There has been a couple of dealers selling SOHAH conversions for a long time over on ebay.  Typically in the $300 range using the CVC shell.  Course you would have to change out the pads because they almost all come with those cheap ass pads like the kota helmets so you are still up in the $400 range.

I think mine all told came out to be just shy of $330 with the upgraded shroud and pads (the most expensive part) which the ebay ones do not have.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I actually came across this thread after looking at those $400 conversions - thanks for saving me a ton of money! I'm just going to drop in a basic strap/pad system for the moment but it's really encouraging to see how nice these things can turn out!
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I replaced the standard ACH chinstrap I had on my helmet for the Ops-Core X strap and it works far better with the Peltor earphones.  The standard ACH straps would get in the way of each ear piece, now they fit on my head much better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Finally got all the parts I needed after waiting several weeks and had time to put it all together.

I used one of the OPS core ebay h-napes, some rails from gunnook, a wilcox shroud and some 4D deluxe pads.

I ended up buying a solid carbide bit to do the holes and it made it easy to drill.  Cut through the kevlar like butter and didn't tear out too bad.  Super-glued every hole re-drilled and trimmed the fur.

This thing fits like a glove and is muy comfortable with the 4D pads feels like I am wearing nothing!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/20201101_132151_jpg-1664200.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/20201101_132202_jpg-1664201.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/20201101_132146_jpg-1664202.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27745/20201101_132219_jpg-1664203.JPG
View Quote

Looks great! For your carbide bit, any special type or anything? I kept reading about how brad points were supposed to work really well with kevlar, but others just say the material is what matters.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Looks great! For your carbide bit, any special type or anything? I kept reading about how brad points were supposed to work really well with kevlar, but others just say the material is what matters.
View Quote

I read the info about brad points too but I wanted to reuse the holes in the helmet and a brad point wouldn't center as good in the old holes as a regular twist drill so I went with the normal carbide bit located here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Solid-Carbide-Jobber-Length-Twist-Drill-Bit-550-2500-USA-FREE-SHIP/161963475486?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I drilled once, super glued any frays and the inside of the hole and drilled a second time to spec the hole.  It still frays a little bit with the initial cut but a razor blade cleans up the glued material easily after the second cut.  The original holes were never sealed either and showed fraying around the edges so I have no worries about this method.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I just used a regular drill bit about the same size as the bolts.  This is a fiber type (Kevlar) helmet, not armor plating, so it drills easy and quickly.  No need to do all this over-engineering for some holes.

If you drill the same size as your bolts, the bolts will thread their way through the helmet, making it easier to attach the chinstrap and fasteners inside since you can draw the bolts down fairly tight before sliding the straps over the bolts and starting the fasteners on the bolts.  Then just crank the bolts down until tight and you are ready to go into battle against the marxists, or conduct serious LARPing.

The DLP Tactical ARC Accessory Rail Kit for Maritime/Super High Cut helmets that I used had the correct length bolts and fasteners in the kit.  The bolts for mounting the rails were also used for mounting the chin strap.  No need to drill extra holes for the straps.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone happen to know of a more lefty-friendly suspension system I could look into? Bought a standard H-nape ACH set and it does fine for just wearing the thing but shouldering a rifle now requires jamming the buckle into my jaw. Something with that relocated out of the way of a cheek weld on either side would be awesome if anyone knows of something.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I added a Mk 1 counterweight/battery pouch to my helmet.  With the Airframe velcro setup it gave a lot of velcro to hold the pouch and "mohawk."  It holds 6 AA batteries easily and can also hold lead strips for weight also.  A strobe or whatever can be strapped/stuck onto the top also.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#11]
@Guntoter what rails are those?  Link?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey everyone! Sorry it's been awhile, but I've updated the OP with more pictures and a essentially finished helmet!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread!

Im doing a conversion on a budget and am just going to use a TW Standard chinstrap. Looks like the helmet itself is about 5/16 thick, what hardware do I need?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Great thread!

Im doing a conversion on a budget and am just going to use a TW Standard chinstrap. Looks like the helmet itself is about 5/16 thick, what hardware do I need?
View Quote

If not using any rails, then the hardware that comes with chinstraps should work fine.  The thickness is the same as the ACH so any straps for those will work on the 132B, you just have to drill the holes.  The rails I used, the Maritime/Super High Cut, had screws long enough to mount through the helmet along with the chinstrap.  I used Op-Core strap.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If not using any rails, then the hardware that comes with chinstraps should work fine.  The thickness is the same as the ACH so any straps for those will work on the 132B, you just have to drill the holes.  The rails I used, the Maritime/Super High Cut, had screws long enough to mount through the helmet along with the chinstrap.  I used Op-Core strap.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link!
View Quote

For sure!
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
The only time you will run into problems with screw length is if you are using the original DH-132 fiberglass shell like I used. It is thinner and I had to shorten the screws for the chin straps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Had the time to test fit it with ear pro etc, so this is likely how it will stay for a while. Really like how it came out and also appreciate how low profile the helmet itself is without a bunch of equipment attached.

Link Posted: 12/1/2020 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Had the time to test fit it with ear pro etc, so this is likely how it will stay for a while. Really like how it came out and also appreciate how low profile the helmet itself is without a bunch of equipment attached.

https://i.imgur.com/JktmJqY.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EWPSGNk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/u1Ns5mi.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  What chin strap are you using?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:00:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone happen to know of a more lefty-friendly suspension system I could look into? Bought a standard H-nape ACH set and it does fine for just wearing the thing but shouldering a rifle now requires jamming the buckle into my jaw. Something with that relocated out of the way of a cheek weld on either side would be awesome if anyone knows of something.
View Quote

@CZRider

OPS core sells a left handed version with the buckle on the right side.

NSN: 8470-10-644-2149 - is for the Ops-Core Improved ACH H-nape. I haven’t been able to find one listed though.

You can buy a new one from Ops-Core, but they’re $115.

One guy on Reddit said he just switched his straps around, not sure if that would work.  It might, but the buckle would be against your face & might be difficult to unbuckle.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice!  What chin strap are you using?
View Quote

Thanks! The Team Wendy Cam fit H-Nape, I believe I put a screenshot up in my OP.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@CZRider

OPS core sells a left handed version with the buckle on the right side.

NSN: 8470-10-644-2149 - is for the Ops-Core Improved ACH H-nape. I haven’t been able to find one listed though.

You can buy a new one from Ops-Core, but they’re $115.

One guy on Reddit said he just switched his straps around, not sure if that would work.  It might, but the buckle would be against your face & might be difficult to unbuckle.
View Quote

Thanks - saw that, but I'm having a hard time justifying $115 for that thing. I'm kind of amazed that there aren't left-eye-dominant USGI ones available, seems like that's common enough that it'd be worth making. From looking at this thing, I think Reddit guy might've had some other kind of suspension system, because this one would also turn the leather pad around backwards and leave you dealing with a hard plastic buckle jabbing you in the back of the head.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]
https://shop.gentexcorp.com/ops-core-22mm-ballistic-hardware-replacement-fast-sentry/

I used these 22mm bolts to mount a Team Wendy standard chinstrap and they work great. Just FYI if you're wondering what length hardware to go with.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#26]
any sources online for the raw helmet, Im feeling like a winter project
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I did some more work on my helmet as I was having chinstrap fitment issues.  Went through 3 different chinstrap styles and none really fit like they were supposed to, mostly due to the rear rail screw mounts (doubling as rear strap mounts) being way too far apart for a chinstrap.  The rear nape pad would pull up too high unless using the ACH issue straps but they don't fit properly with ear protection.  I measured my ACH/MICH helmet rear strap holes and they are almost 7" apart, so I measured out the same distance on my CVC helmet and drilled 2 more holes, a bit lower so the nape pad sits proper.  Now the Ops-Core H-Nape strap fits correct, nape pad is correctly positioned and the helmet is secure, with plenty of adjustment available and the straps do not interfere with the ear pads.  I was able to use the bolts/nuts that came with the Op-Core straps to fasten the rear straps and the rear of the rail.  The bolts that came with the rail mount the front straps.

I also added a Norotos NVG mount I got off eBay.  Maybe someday I will actually be able to afford a PVS-7.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
any sources online for the raw helmet, Im feeling like a winter project
View Quote

@dnmccoy

S/M is the size you want unless you have a head the size of a watermelon.  S/M CVC is actually a Large in ACH sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Military-Issue-DH-132B-Combat-Vehicle-Crewman-S-M-Helmet-Shell-NOS/114607642229?hash=item1aaf25d675:g:Xk8AAOSw2vpfuL9c
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks - saw that, but I'm having a hard time justifying $115 for that thing. I'm kind of amazed that there aren't left-eye-dominant USGI ones available, seems like that's common enough that it'd be worth making. From looking at this thing, I think Reddit guy might've had some other kind of suspension system, because this one would also turn the leather pad around backwards and leave you dealing with a hard plastic buckle jabbing you in the back of the head.
View Quote

@CZRider

I was in the same boat as you when I was looking for a LH harness system. Since there aren't any of the $25 LH H-napes on eBay and going to Gentex would cost $115, I decided that I might as well go with "high-end" for less money.

I paid $106 for the Left Hand Team Wendy Cam Fit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I couldn’t help myself and ordered one of these and the eBay h nape kit. I happen to have a big melon, hopefully it fits. Worst case it doesn’t and I’ll drop it on eBay assembled
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:57:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@dnmccoy

S/M is the size you want unless you have a head the size of a watermelon.  S/M CVC is actually a Large in ACH sizes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Military-Issue-DH-132B-Combat-Vehicle-Crewman-S-M-Helmet-Shell-NOS/114607642229?hash=item1aaf25d675:g:Xk8AAOSw2vpfuL9c
View Quote

7 5/8" Hat?

Fuck it I Fo'd
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I couldn’t help myself and ordered one of these and the eBay h nape kit. I happen to have a big melon, hopefully it fits. Worst case it doesn’t and I’ll drop it on eBay assembled
View Quote

Honestly, if you order some of the tiered-thickness pads (like the TW cloud set) you should probably be okay if you just use the baseline thickness.

I'm a medium for sure, and when I add the additional set of pads, it fits me just about right.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#33]
What pads and harness are guys running?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Skydex 1” pads and for me, the Ops-Core H-nape straps, size large.  ACH/MICH milspec straps also work if not running ear protection/comms.

All available on eBay at good prices.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Got mine done for now. Looking for a cover and maybe some rails. Who knows. All in all its a decent fit for just around $100

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I need to find me one of these. Looks like a cool project
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I need to find me one of these. Looks like a cool project
View Quote

Check the link out on page 1 I believe!

Also btw, thanks everyone for the awesome participation and help here!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I went out into the woods behind where I live with my helmet, belt and plate carrier, along with my rifle and Glock and hiked around the woods and gullies.  Wanted to make sure everything would work OK and get a little shooting in.  The helmet worked outstanding, as did the Peltor hearing protection.  I had previously tweaked the support arms a little to give a little more inward pressure so I would not get leakages around the edge during firing, this is due to the location we have to put rails on these helmets.  No problems and worked just as intended.  Helmet stayed secure and nearly forgot it was on. Also I found that putting a square piece of foam behind the Norotos mount made it secure and rattle free.  Plate carrier and battle belt all worked good too, just a bit heavy with the front, side and rear III+ steel plates but I'm among the poors.  So far most everything works good, just need to figure out how to get night vision someday but that will probably be a long way off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been following this thread and am about to dive into a build. Before I shell out $ for everything I would like to know how people here with NODs like the helmet when nods are attached?

My last issued helmet was a MICH mid cut or regular cut and the PVS18 was good to go on that.

Just curious what NOD users have experienced.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have been following this thread and am about to dive into a build. Before I shell out $ for everything I would like to know how people here with NODs like the helmet when nods are attached?

My last issued helmet was a MICH mid cut or regular cut and the PVS18 was good to go on that.

Just curious what NOD users have experienced.
View Quote

Not experienced with NODS (yet), but I would think it would be no problem, as long as you are using the proper chinstrap setup.  This helmet sits as secure as an ACH/MICH, at least for me it does.  A good counterweight would help, there are plenty of pouch setups on the internets.  The one I use (photo above) has loops inside to slide in weights along with a removable loop set that you can mount weights or batteries in.  A good source for weights is Bass Pro or anywhere selling fishing supplies, you can get some heavy lead weights in the bass fishing area.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#42]
So my next part in this project is going to be making a helmet cover.  I have yet to find a commercially available helmet cover that is readily available, fits with rails and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for some fabric and velcro.

Gonna take one of the tigris helmet covers unstitch it and reuse the middle section with the bungee cord.  I'll have to pattern new sides and add a lower back panel for a complete fit.  I plan on reusing all the velcro panels just moving them for better placement.  Once I have the OCP fabric in hand I take some pictures of the process and finished project.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Yup been looking at those.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:11:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not experienced with NODS (yet), but I would think it would be no problem, as long as you are using the proper chinstrap setup.
View Quote

Looking at the X nape type vs H.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Late to the party but I figured I'd share my CVC build.  

I'm still fine tuning a little, but so far so good.  I put a dial liner in it with some Team Wendy pads I picked up on clearance.  Ear pro is Walkers, I can jack my radio into it and talk with the radio mic.  

I just got a Kejo Special Forces helmet; anyone put rails on one of those?  Trying to figure out what would fit well.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

3/4" skydex
Ops core x nape (best of 4 different setups I've tried)
Maritime rails have been the best fit so far.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://www.qsitraining.net/wp-content/uploads/20210212_150134.jpg

I'm still fine tuning a little, but so far so good.  I put a dial liner in it with some Team Wendy pads I picked up on clearance.  Ear pro is Walkers, I can jack my radio into it and talk with the radio mic.  

I just got a Kejo Special Forces helmet; anyone put rails on one of those?  Trying to figure out what would fit well.  

http://www.qsitraining.net/wp-content/uploads/kejo.jpg
View Quote

Couple questions on your awesome build.

Where did you get the helmet cover and do they have them in green?  

What is the night vision device you have?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Couple questions on your awesome build.

Where did you get the helmet cover and do they have them in green?  

What is the night vision device you have?
View Quote

Helmet cover I got on eBay IIRC.  It's a knockoff (don't tell anyone).  You can get them in a number of colors.  

Fit won't be perfect as the cover isn't designed for the CVC.  I found that attaching velcro to the helmet for the cover to attach to helped.  I used barge contact cement to attach the velcro to the helmet.  Follow the instructions and it works great!

My NVS is a NAIT PVS14.  So far I really like it!  It's my first.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Any pics of just your shroud mounted up?

Trying to decide on whether or not to go three-hole. Any issues with adjustment (up/down) on yours?

ETA: For anyone curious, the MICH TC-2001 helmet covers fit pretty heckin good on the SOHAH/CVC.

Quoted:

http://www.qsitraining.net/wp-content/uploads/20210212_150134.jpg

http://www.qsitraining.net/wp-content/uploads/kejo.jpg
View Quote

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top