Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2017 1:01:16 AM EDT
Sorry for starting yet another thread in here, but hopefully this gets a good dialogue about some gear going. Please read and give critiques on current loud-outs or my theology. I am also looking for recommendations on a Chest rigs that are swift clip compatible.

I work plain clothes LE I always have on me the following:
G19
Spare g17 mag
Hard cuffs X1
Soft cufffs x2
Flashlight
Benchmade AFO
(I Need to add a IFAK that is concealable im thinking ankle)

Policy states when I do any enforcement action I am required to wear my issued IIIA armor
Currently running it in an overt carrier that has the following:
Radio
Dark Angel IFAK
Single M4 w/ pistol mag
Admin pouch that carries extra hard cuffs, multitool and paperwork

I have a battle belt set up that I wear when overt it has the following
G19 w/ wml
Triple pistol taco
Single m4 Taco
Rolli polli
Dark angel IFAK
Baton
Hard cuffs

I recently ordered a LEPC from Velocity systems it should ship this week. I can wear my own issued plates over issued IIIA and be okay w/ policy.

Originally I was just going to wear my PC any and all times I am required to wear armor and putting my IIIA into a concealable carrier. However I've been thinking about keeping my IIIA in The concealable carrier then getting a swiftclip compatible chest harness that I can put on my PC when needed or be worn over IIIA armor when I want.

My requirements for the chest rig:
At least 2 m4 mags
Be able to carry Motorola radio
Low profile

I also would like to make it configurable to be able to run an SMG and Shotgun

So my questions are what placard/chest rig would you recommend?
- I am eyeing the Haley and the Spirtus currently

Am I wrong for feeling comfortable with 2 AR mags in a chest rig, 1 in the rifle, and possibly 1 more in my battle belt (if worn)
-while I'm not humping over the mountain and thru  the woods trying to keep weight and bulk down.

Is there anything else you feel you would want or need to have?

ETA: Autocorrect errors
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#1]
IFAK-

I would recommend just using your pockets. For me that would be more reasonable than an ankle IFAK. You can make IFAK supplies pretty compact. They dont have to be in the same pocket. It could be broken up into two pockets. Youre working low vis work.... nothing wrong with doing stuff on your own instead of buying something off the market. Hell, if it was me I would probably have the IFAK broken up into the essentials, bare bones, and going from there. Wrap a rubber band around it and I would call it good.

Armor-

since you are required to use level 3A soft armor I would try to keep the plates to a minimum at possible. I wish they would forego the soft armor requirement, because that stuff is bulky as hell, makes you sweat like a MOFO, and overall is just a PITA. Youre wearing civvies for christs sake. Anyways, since you dont have that option I would suggest something like a JPC or BFG plate minus. Something that is low profile as possible since you already have the extra bulk and weight with the soft armor. Even though you arent humping up mountains..... you will still appreciate the weight savings if time came to actually use the damn armor. Is there a way for you to take out the issues soft armor and put it into another carrier that might accept the Swift clip placcards and plates such as something by Velocity systems? That way, you have a all in one kit ready to go compared to multiple layers.

Loadout-

I would rather have more rifle mags than pistol mags on a battle belt/ PC. If you are pulling out  a PC, in my mind, you definitely would want a rifle at that point as well. So, I would personally just run 4  rifle mags in total with an extra pistol mag or two on the battle belt. One rifle  magazine in the gun, two on the 2nd line, and one on the belt. You can always have more rounds stuffed into a pocket if there is a Armageddon scenario or staged in a vehicle. I dont know about you, but if Im a cop and need more than 120 rounds or so.... something is seriously fucking wrong in my eyes. You can do alot of damage with 120 rounds. Spiritus systems seems like a better way to go for you due to your SMG and Shotgun requirements. They have the inserts for 12G rounds that can be in a pouch, and make a 4 mag sub gun insert. I would go with them. Im getting ready to pick up a full system to replace my rack minus chest rig. The low profile version, scalable, flexibility of the Spiritus systems rig is way more appealable. They Haley rig is nice. Ive never had any experience with it, but with what your requirements are.... all your kit could fit on a Spirtus systems rig and be smaller than the D3CR rigs. Two mags in the insert, along with a motorola.... then having a sub gun insert handy along with the 12G pouch insert on the Dangler or main pouch in front of the Spiritus mag shingle seems to be the way to go. Thats what I would do personally

Overall, KISS, low profile, and light weight. Cut what you dont need and keep the essentials. Dudes over here in theater with bulky ass kit are realizing standard RFI Issue shit is garbage and cumbersome when climbing up mountains. Guys who used to talk about wearing soft armor and side plates dont anymore and think its dumb. They had to learn the hard way.... almost falling out on mission. You dont have to luckily due to your environment.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IFAK-

I would recommend just using your pockets. For me that would be more reasonable than an ankle IFAK. You can make IFAK supplies pretty compact. They dont have to be in the same pocket. It could be broken up into two pockets. Youre working low vis work.... nothing wrong with doing stuff on your own instead of buying something off the market. Hell, if it was me I would probably have the IFAK broken up into the essentials, bare bones, and going from there. Wrap a rubber band around it and I would call it good.

Armor-

since you are required to use level 3A soft armor I would try to keep the plates to a minimum at possible. I wish they would forego the soft armor requirement, because that stuff is bulky as hell, makes you sweat like a MOFO, and overall is just a PITA. Youre wearing civvies for christs sake. Anyways, since you dont have that option I would suggest something like a JPC or BFG plate minus. Something that is low profile as possible since you already have the extra bulk and weight with the soft armor. Even though you arent humping up mountains..... you will still appreciate the weight savings if time came to actually use the damn armor. Is there a way for you to take out the issues soft armor and put it into another carrier that might accept the Swift clip placcards and plates such as something by Velocity systems? That way, you have a all in one kit ready to go compared to multiple layers.

Loadout-

I would rather have more rifle mags than pistol mags on a battle belt/ PC. If you are pulling out  a PC, in my mind, you definitely would want a rifle at that point as well. So, I would personally just run 4  rifle mags in total with an extra pistol mag or two on the battle belt. One rifle  magazine in the gun, two on the 2nd line, and one on the belt. You can always have more rounds stuffed into a pocket if there is a Armageddon scenario or staged in a vehicle. I dont know about you, but if Im a cop and need more than 120 rounds or so.... something is seriously fucking wrong in my eyes. You can do alot of damage with 120 rounds. Spiritus systems seems like a better way to go for you due to your SMG and Shotgun requirements. They have the inserts for 12G rounds that can be in a pouch, and make a 4 mag sub gun insert. I would go with them. Im getting ready to pick up a full system to replace my rack minus chest rig. The low profile version, scalable, flexibility of the Spiritus systems rig is way more appealable. They Haley rig is nice. Ive never had any experience with it, but with what your requirements are.... all your kit could fit on a Spirtus systems rig and be smaller than the D3CR rigs. Two mags in the insert, along with a motorola.... then having a sub gun insert handy along with the 12G pouch insert on the Dangler or main pouch in front of the Spiritus mag shingle seems to be the way to go. Thats what I would do personally

Overall, KISS, low profile, and light weight. Cut what you dont need and keep the essentials. Dudes over here in theater with bulky ass kit are realizing standard RFI Issue shit is garbage and cumbersome when climbing up mountains. Guys who used to talk about wearing soft armor and side plates dont anymore and think its dumb. They had to learn the hard way.... almost falling out on mission. You dont have to luckily due to your environment.
View Quote
Thank you, i agree about the IFAK I hate stuff on my ankles, but ankle or belt is my only real option unless I start wearing cargo pants.
5 pocket jeans are taken up with 2 phones, wallet, creds, overt badge & keys. In addition to all that in my pockets I have larger than average thighs, so most pants are automatically skinny jeans on me.

i went with the LEPC because a close friend runs one and prefers it over the other minimalist carriers, so at his advice that's the carrier I ordered. I also had Velocity customize it for me and take the pals webbing off the back.

As far as changing IIIA carriers originally that was my plan. I was told by the powers that be we can only have our armor in the issued carriers which are junk. I might call that company and see if they will custom order me a IIIA carrier that is swift clip compatible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I would check out the spiritus chest rigs. I have not personally used one but have heard good things and they are low profile. I currently use a Haley strategic chest rig but that is a bit larger.

Also I think a ankle med kit would be a smart idea. Check out primary and secondary on fb they had a thread for ankle rigs and also practically tactical did a YouTube video on an ankle rig they are using.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I disagree with ditching soft armor and carrying that many mags. A IIIA vest will be more than sufficient for the majority of conus  threats a cop may face. A ankle IFAK may work, but one on the belt that is visible in case you get injured and need someone else to use it on you is better BFG makes a micro TKN which fits a belt and with a TQ in also on the belt is visible and holds a lot . A boo boo kit in a slash pocket is something else I see a lot of cops use. Since you have IIIA soft armor i would recommend an ICW carbine plate, they're thinner and lighter. High com makes a good one that's really cool the RTSP, It's the most expensive but it will stop just about anything a mass shooter may use and It's really thin and light.if that is out of your budget SKD sells a carbine plate which is really light for what it is and a pretty good price. 2 rifle mags on the rig plus one in the gun is a lot of ammo. Most shootings are over within minutes of the police showing up, usually with the shooter killing themself. Spirits rigs are really good for what you are describing when used with the radio "wings" that way you can have your radio, 2 rifle mags and a well marked IFAK on there in one small handy package. Mayflower also makes a MOLLE Placard which you can put 2 mags, an IFAK, and a radio pouch on easily.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:40:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditching soft armor CONUS is a dumb move. If you are looking for a IIIA carrier that has SWIFT clips, just get a Mayflower LPAC. Its designed to take concealment cut soft panels, along with plates, and is swift clip compatible.  I have one and it works like a charm.

For your stated needs, the Spiritus MFR is the way to go. You can easily add the expansion wings to carry your radio or put it in the place of one of the M4 mags. As far as how many mags you should have, thats a personal call. I have one on my duty belt, 1 in the gun, 3 on a PC, 1 riding in a pouch on the milk crate I keep in the front seat, and 1 30 rnd'er and 1 20 rnd'er in a bandolier hanging off the front seat. Its all about options.   I try to keep weight off my hips so I'd keep the number of mags on the battle belt to a minimum.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ditching soft armor CONUS is a dumb move. If you are looking for a IIIA carrier that has SWIFT clips, just get a Mayflower LPAC. Its designed to take concealment cut soft panels, along with plates, and is swift clip compatible.  I have one and it works like a charm.

For your stated needs, the Spiritus MFR is the way to go. You can easily add the expansion wings to carry your radio or put it in the place of one of the M4 mags. As far as how many mags you should have, thats a personal call. I have one on my duty belt, 1 in the gun, 3 on a PC, 1 riding in a pouch on the milk crate I keep in the front seat, and 1 30 rnd'er and 1 20 rnd'er in a bandolier hanging off the front seat. Its all about options.   I try to keep weight off my hips so I'd keep the number of mags on the battle belt to a minimum.
View Quote
I'm not going to ditch my IIIA just wear plates over it when needed. I think y'all have sold me on the spiritus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Ordered the spiritus micro. Should have it mid week and I will post pictures.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Spiritus here. Love it. Have owned several rigs this is my favorite. Small, compact, holds what I need, not what I dont.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's the Set up. Doing fit testing I like it. I also can stuff 6 more mags into the PC as needed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here's the Set up. Doing fit testing I like it. I also can stuff 6 more mags into the PC as needed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/432414/IMG_3630-397273.JPG
View Quote
That's a pretty well thought-out setup.  I like it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Good set up. Do you train to retain magazines? I prefer too but have found that when I to competitions I fail to.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#12]
do you carry OC, a second pair of cuffs, or a handheld flashlight on either of those?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good set up. Do you train to retain magazines? I prefer too but have found that when I to competitions I fail to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It depends on situation. In emergency reloads with pistol mag gets left behind. Emergency reload with rifle mag will be retained.

In lulls of action I mag exchange.

Quoted:
do you carry OC, a second pair of cuffs, or a handheld flashlight on either of those?
I do not carry OC mostly out of personal preference. PC has extra hard cuffs and soft cuffs, I always carry extra soft cuffs in a pocket. I carry a handheld flashlight in my pocket as well. I may had a second flashlight to my belt.

We just got tazers approved so that will go in my belt as well probably
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top