Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2017 12:06:14 PM EDT
I would like to get a set of plates to put behind the rear seat of my POV.  I am cautious to use my SKD ceramic as I don't want it getting cracked from continued jostling on the edge it is resting on. I am cautious about the heat of a closed truck in the southern summers degrading UHMWPE.

Is steel my only alternative?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
UHMWPE is generally fine (degredation profile is only slightly worse than the 105 degree profile) in temps of 150f but shows significantly accelerated degradation when tested at 194f in as little as 200 hours of exposure.

Reference http://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=916161

Buy a cheap thermometer that records the max temp and keep it on or near your plate carrier. If you see temps over 150 then you should be concerned but otherwise you should be fine with the plastic plates.

I prefer to buy armor based on threat profile than material -- you can pad ceramic and you can insulate UHMWPE. I believe ceramic is the only material that routinely stops both 55gr and 62gr green tip however.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I use to live in FL. I’d bet $100 you’ll break 150. For the amount you’ll use them get some lvl 3+ Steel that have been tested to stop all the 5.56 threats and call it a day.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would like to get a set of plates to put behind the rear seat of my POV.  I am cautious to use my SKD ceramic as I don't want it getting cracked from continued jostling on the edge it is resting on. I am cautious about the heat of a closed truck in the southern summers degrading UHMWPE.

Is steel my only alternative?

Thanks
View Quote
I’ve had ceramic plates in a trunk near daily for the past six years. No problems.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had ceramic plates in a trunk near daily for the past six years. No problems.
View Quote
If I could lay them horizontal in a trunk I would be less concerned than having to store them vertical, as I understand bumps to the edges or corners are the problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ve had ceramic plates in a trunk near daily for the past six years. No problems.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have you x-rayed them?  What temp swings do you see?  Have you stored a third with your set and shot it to test them?
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have you x-rayed them?  What temp swings do you see?  Have you stored a third with your set and shot it to test them?
View Quote
X-rayed them 6 months ago. Didn't see any cracks on the X-ray.

No I didn't have a spare plate.

They are in a plate carrier that is mostly "standing up" in the trunk.

North Texas area so below freezing in the winter to 100+ in the summer. Trunk probably gets 150+ in the summer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

North Texas area so below freezing in the winter to 100+ in the summer. Trunk probably gets 150+ in the summer.
View Quote
Ceramic plates are not remotely fragile like a piece of fine china.  They’d be just fine in the cab of a truck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I could lay them horizontal in a trunk I would be less concerned than having to store them vertical, as I understand bumps to the edges or corners are the problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had ceramic plates in a trunk near daily for the past six years. No problems.
If you are that concerned put a foam rubber strip around the edges, or even use one of the pipe insulation noodles to do it.  Either way, you're not going to have problems.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Any decent plate carrier will protect the edges.  Are you not using a carrier?

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Ceramic... old school

new advances in technology, local sheriff wear this....lighter and from videos I have seen, will last longer.... and no worry about damaging...

https://www.premierbodyarmor.com/product/premier-durus-8000-armor-2/
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ceramic... old school

new advances in technology, local sheriff wear this....lighter and from videos I have seen, will last longer.... and no worry about damaging...

View Quote
How is 7lb a plate new technology? Lighter than what? And it isn't rated to stop M193 so not stopping the most common load from the most common rifle threat doesn't really make it seem worth the weight.

Before you point to that .223 rating, note that it's up to 3100fps at 50 feet. M193 loads start off at close to 3200fps at the muzzle from a 16" barrel and don't lose much of it by the 50 foot test distance.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ceramic... old school

View Quote
Calls ceramic "old school". Posts link to steel - "new advances in technology"

Link Posted: 12/15/2017 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't allow the plate to see direct sunlight. Put a closed cell foam pad under the plate carrier. There are relatively few hours each year where the plate carrier will heat soak long enough to reach a temperature over 140F and it will never exceed 150F out of direct sunlight. My testing showed 40F over ambient to be common max when measuring a plate in carrier, out of sunlight. So remove the plate carrier if your daily high will be 110F or more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ceramic plates are not remotely fragile like a piece of fine china.  They’d be just fine in the cab of a truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

I am a huge proponent of ceramic over steel. Sapi plates have saved my life and I have a set next to my bed. I am however glad I did not have them in my truck 2 months ago.

This is the one time I'd go for steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top