Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 12:33:43 AM EDT
So I'll admit I should have tested the rounds in a different manner. I should have hit it with the two 2 M2AP at 100 fps+ over spec after the .308 M80A1. I wonder if the M80A1 at 3,400 fps did a lot of the tiles in. If anything I know the NIJ has tested the plates in compliance with Level IV, and there's a ballistic lab report of the plate stopping M995 @ 100m equivalent velocity. So it's a super light level IV plate, but is not going to hold up very well to multi hit. It's also so light weight because the actual ceramic strike face is 8x10, rather than the full dimensions of 10x12". As I mentioned in the video, it won't be for everyone, and it was created for some government contract. i have the AR500 Armor Level IV coming up soon.
I've been having audio issues with this upload. Try one of these two:

Sub 5lb NIJ level IV Body Armor. RMA Model 1199
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Very neat, it's super rare to see someone actually test one of these more expensive plates. Is something up with your sound after the drop test? Might be an issue of me trying to play the video with my phone though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very neat, it's super rare to see someone actually test one of these more expensive plates. Is something up with your sound after the drop test? Might be an issue of me trying to play the video with my phone though.
View Quote
Could be youTube being a pos, or could be using different cameras to do the video and audio. Sometimes it's hard for me to normalize audio across all sources with the editing software I use. So the iphone will record softer audio, and the DSLR can get a little boomy :O
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great, I may have to pick up the Lvl 4 plates they have 2 for 199. After seeing all the breakthroughs from XM193 on steel, I am rethinking my Steel set. And at that price its only 60-70 more then I paid for the steels a year ago
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks great, I may have to pick up the Lvl 4 plates they have 2 for 199. After seeing all the breakthroughs from XM193 on steel, I am rethinking my Steel set. And at that price its only 60-70 more then I paid for the steels a year ago
View Quote
Their $199/2 plates are the #1155 plate. They are indeed tougher than this model demo'd above. The 1155 uses a single piece strike face made from Alumina Ceramic. I tested the precursor to it (#1145 same strike face) and it took a beating.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Would one of you guys mind posting a link to these particular plates please?  Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would one of you guys mind posting a link to these particular plates please?  Thanks...
View Quote
The $200 plate deal:
http://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1155-set/

Plate model tested in the OP:
http://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1199/
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The $200 plate deal:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The $200 plate deal:

Cool, thank you
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I'll admit I should have tested the rounds in a different manner. I should have hit it with the two 2 M2AP at 100 fps+ over spec after the .308 M80A1. I wonder if the M80A1 at 3,400 fps did a lot of the tiles in. If anything I know the NIJ has tested the plates in compliance with Level IV, and there's a ballistic lab report of the plate stopping M995 @ 100m equivalent velocity. So it's a super light level IV plate, but is not going to hold up very well to multi hit. It's also so light weight because the actual ceramic strike face is 8x10, rather than the full dimensions of 10x12". As I mentioned in the video, it won't be for everyone, and it was created for some government contract. i have the AR500 Armor Level IV coming up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENa_zFdvJXI
View Quote

From what I’ve seen the ar500 lvl 4 should do fairly well with multi hits unless it’s in the very same spot. One vid shows it take four ak47 hits in the same spot from very close range until it failed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From what I’ve seen the ar500 lvl 4 should do fairly well with multi hits unless it’s in the very same spot. One vid shows it take four ak47 hits in the same spot from very close range until it failed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENa_zFdvJXI

It actually didn't do too bad, but much of the strike face was easily damaged.. Working on video this week
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It actually didn't do too bad, but much of the strike face was easily damaged.. Working on video this week
View Quote
Very interested as that’s what I’m rocking and wondering if I should get them again as my second set.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The $200 plate deal:
View Quote
How will these $200 plates hold up to heat?  Like stored behind the back seat of a truck in the summer?  If they can take that, and if I can find an "economical" carrier, I may buy a set to have around just in case.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How will these $200 plates hold up to heat?  Like stored behind the back seat of a truck in the summer?  If they can take that, and if I can find an "economical" carrier, I may buy a set to have around just in case.  
View Quote
The actual strike face of the 1155 is ceramic. There's probably no heat that you'd experience in a car that would damage that. There's been claims of the PE backers of Level IV not liking heat, and the general suggestion is to leave them out of heat where you wouldn't put yourself in :D I can ask them if there's any available data on heat in relation to PE endurance. I could probably come up with a demo
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever test the ar500 ceramics yet?
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, just gotta work on the video. I'll see what I can do tonight..
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice. Post a link when you get it uploaded.
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Awesome. You da man!  Any preview?  Hints? Lol
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Awesome. You da man!  Any preview?  Hints? Lol
View Quote
It stopped M80A1 @ 3300 fps :D
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much longer before you get this one done?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Is that 8.3# with both plates or one?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is that 8.3# with both plates or one?
View Quote
The website says 8.3 per plate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How will these $200 plates hold up to heat?  Like stored behind the back seat of a truck in the summer?  If they can take that, and if I can find an "economical" carrier, I may buy a set to have around just in case.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The $200 plate deal:
How will these $200 plates hold up to heat?  Like stored behind the back seat of a truck in the summer?  If they can take that, and if I can find an "economical" carrier, I may buy a set to have around just in case.  
They have a budget carrier and 2 of the 1155 plates for $264 and change. http://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-operator-system-w-model-1155-plates/
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How much longer before you get this one done?
View Quote
It's done and uploaded. Give me a few and I'll post it up..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top