Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2017 1:15:02 PM EDT
I have been wanting a war belt for years. Reading and reading, and more review readings.

So I would like a war belt for range use and maybe class use. I am on a budget around $100-200. A couple pistol mags, AR mag, IFAK, dump pouch, flashlight/admin pouch? I keep looking for reviews, and going to sites to look, but over whelmed with all the choices. I guess I will need a holster for this as well, and that makes my choices even more confusing.

So that I do not waste money I am asking for help first. I do not know where to start. I see some people start with surplus items and always end up with HSGI or similar. If anyone can offer links or what set up they have tried that might work in my budget range, please help me get a basic war belt. Need by end of October for a handgun/first aid class.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a VTac belt.  No complaints.  Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactics did a video about his different belts.

VTAC Belts
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw this product from HTC the other day for $400 and thought "Jesus, who's going to pay that?"
http://highthreatconcealment.com/htc-quick-response-system.html

Then I decided to think about my own belt system for a minute.
Volund Gear Works G-hook Belt - $50
ESSTAC double pistol pouch with belt loops - $39
ESSTAC shorty 5.56 single mag pouch w/ belt loops - $32
ESSTAC 5.56 single tall w/ shotgun loops + - $45
ITS Tactical Tallboy IFAK - $60
Contents of a Dark Angle medical kit including TQ - $100?
Trex-Arms Ragnarok holster with UBL attachment - $85

$411 +/-

sooooo, I guess what i'm saying is it can get out of control pretty easy.

ETA: Do you want to use a more traditional trouser belt, or do you want something you wear over your belt? Do you want the pouches to be static on the belt? i.e. they'd molle'd on or velcro'd in place? Color choice?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw this product from HTC the other day for $400 and thought "Jesus, who's going to pay that?"
http://highthreatconcealment.com/htc-quick-response-system.html

Then I decided to think about my own belt system for a minute.
Volund Gear Works G-hook Belt - $50
ESSTAC double pistol pouch with belt loops - $39
ESSTAC shorty 5.56 single mag pouch w/ belt loops - $32
ESSTAC 5.56 single tall w/ shotgun loops + - $45
ITS Tactical Tallboy IFAK - $60
Contents of a Dark Angle medical kit including TQ - $100?
Trex-Arms Ragnarok holster with UBL attachment - $85

$411 +/-

sooooo, I guess what i'm saying is it can get out of control pretty easy.

ETA: Do you want to use a more traditional trouser belt, or do you want something you wear over your belt? Do you want the pouches to be static on the belt? i.e. they'd molle'd on or velcro'd in place? Color choice?
View Quote
Guess I am leaning towards something like the VTAC Skirmish belt that has inner belt and outer padded belt. But never owned one so I really do not know. I wear a riggers type belt for EDC. Your post is what makes me think, where to start on a budget. Surely I can do something for $200 or under. Color really does not matter but green or Multi Cam probably.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Guess I am leaning towards something like the VTAC Skirmish belt that has inner belt and outer padded belt. But never owned one so I really do not know. I wear a riggers type belt for EDC. Your post is what makes me think, where to start on a budget. Surely I can do something for $200 or under. Color really does not matter but green or Multi Cam probably.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
I’ve used the “strap on belts” like the HSGI. But those only stay in place for so long until they wear out. I got 4 rifle classes and a handful of range days out of mine.
When it came time to replace it. I got the robin tactics senshi belt. And I’m never going back. Best belt on the market. Buy once cry once. Don’t cheap out. Quality really shows on load bearing gear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the ATS war belt in multicam and love it. I'd like to get one in black for work use. I've got a jacked up back and neck (etc...) but have to figure out how to mount some of my belt-worn gear that isn't MOLLE. Such as my kydex heat alarm/door popper holder.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  Keep them coming. The rabbit hole of YouTube gear videos, sheesh. Any ideas on budget sensible mag pouches?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not Mil or Leo but I shoot a ton of paper!

I spent a bunch of money on crap I will never ever use, I am going to make suggestions based off of the money I wasted that could have been more classes and ammo. I am assuming you are a civi like me and only intend to shoot paper unless ISIS rolls up in your neighborhood, all of my suggestions will be based off of this one assumption!

Once you start down this path if you lose your way your wallet will suffer for it. Figure out what the bare minimum crap you can get away with on your belt is and stick to that. Then decide if you want a one piece easy on easy off belt or a layered inner outer belt system, Both have pros and cons.

Below are suggestions for the one way paper range only as its all I can speak to as a civi, if you are mil or leo this will probably not help you or apply to you.

I would suggest ditching the dump pouch and tossing empty or half empty mags on the ground during classes/range trips, retaining mags as a civi seems like a waste of time, weight, and belt space to me. The only time I would want to retain mags as a civi is if the magazines would be lost and I could not replace them, like in hurricane flood waters.

I would suggest keeping the flashlight and admin stuff in your range bag instead of on the belt, if you need a light it's probably on the gun. If you really want a handheld light on you at classes/range time buy a small one and clip it in your front pocket.

I would suggest keeping medical gear in the range bag but if you really want medical gear on you I would get the smallest lightest medical kit you can afford. (Dark angel EDC kit in a pocket or BFG micro trauma kit etc.)

I would suggest carrying the least amount of ammo you can to complete your string of fire or drill. I ended up getting kydex magazine carriers and putting them on my belt only when I needed that type and quantity of ammo. For example if I am doing pistol drills its holster+2 pistol reloads. If I am doing carbine drills it's just 2 rifle reloads on the belt. If I am doing rifle and pistol drills I run holster plus 1 pistol mag and 1 rifle mag on the belt.

If my assumptions are way off or do not apply to you I would suggest buying a quality 2 piece layered belt system like ronin tactics and put some mag pouches on it and a holster. If the weight and ride works go shoot with it a few time and if you want to add medical gear a dump pouch or other stuff you can do that at a later time.

I hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am not Mil or Leo but I shoot a ton of paper!

I spent a bunch of money on crap I will never ever use, I am going to make suggestions based off of the money I wasted that could have been more classes and ammo. I am assuming you are a civi like me and only intend to shoot paper unless ISIS rolls up in your neighborhood, all of my suggestions will be based off of this one assumption!

Once you start down this path if you lose your way your wallet will suffer for it. Figure out what the bare minimum crap you can get away with on your belt is and stick to that. Then decide if you want a one piece easy on easy off belt or a layered inner outer belt system, Both have pros and cons.

Below are suggestions for the one way paper range only as its all I can speak to as a civi, if you are mil or leo this will probably not help you or apply to you.

I would suggest ditching the dump pouch and tossing empty or half empty mags on the ground during classes/range trips, retaining mags as a civi seems like a waste of time, weight, and belt space to me. The only time I would want to retain mags as a civi is if the magazines would be lost and I could not replace them, like in hurricane flood waters.

I would suggest keeping the flashlight and admin stuff in your range bag instead of on the belt, if you need a light it's probably on the gun. If you really want a handheld light on you at classes/range time buy a small one and clip it in your front pocket.

I would suggest keeping medical gear in the range bag but if you really want medical gear on you I would get the smallest lightest medical kit you can afford. (Dark angel EDC kit in a pocket or BFG micro trauma kit etc.)

I would suggest carrying the least amount of ammo you can to complete your string of fire or drill. I ended up getting kydex magazine carriers and putting them on my belt only when I needed that type and quantity of ammo. For example if I am doing pistol drills its holster+2 pistol reloads. If I am doing carbine drills it's just 2 rifle reloads on the belt. If I am doing rifle and pistol drills I run holster plus 1 pistol mag and 1 rifle mag on the belt.

If my assumptions are way off or do not apply to you I would suggest buying a quality 2 piece layered belt system like ronin tactics and put some mag pouches on it and a holster. If the weight and ride works go shoot with it a few time and if you want to add medical gear a dump pouch or other stuff you can do that at a later time.

I hope this helps!
View Quote
Thank you. Great example of let's keep this real. My wallet thanks you. As a former FD/EMR I have some m3dical gear and trauma bags in cars and house. So a small IFAK would work. Yes gun has TLR1-HL. Agreed I can police mags up after session. I have spent too much money on PC and ceramics and have a box of WTF was I thinking nylon/cordura already.

So what belt and mag carriers have worked for those here? Do I buy a new EDC belt that will work with war belt/1st line? Ideally I would like to have 2 1st line rigs. One for bedside and a duplicate back up.

Thanks for the advise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you. Great example of let's keep this real. My wallet thanks you. As a former FD/EMR I have some m3dical gear and trauma bags in cars and house. So a small IFAK would work. Yes gun has TLR1-HL. Agreed I can police mags up after session. I have spent too much money on PC and ceramics and have a box of WTF was I thinking nylon/cordura already.

So what belt and mag carriers have worked for those here? Do I buy a new EDC belt that will work with war belt/1st line? Ideally I would like to have 2 1st line rigs. One for bedside and a duplicate back up.

Thanks for the advise.
View Quote
In my dumb civilian opinion I would set up a nice range/class setup first and use it to take some classes, then worry about nightstand gear later as having the time or opportunity to put it on will be slim in the event you need it. You will be better served taking more classes and burning more ammo to develop skills you can use in a bump in the night, this will also provide a better perspective on what you need if you decide to get another belt.

Below is the gear that I like and it works for me, it's kind of a long one.

If you decide you do want/need a quick grab belt I would suggest a one piece quick on and off belt that will stay in place. For that I will suggest the unity tactical clutch belt with whatever flavor of kydex you like, this thing is not for everyone but it's a really neat piece of gear. Its elastic, goes on fast, and stays put. It's like a belly band and a warbelt had a baby. You can wear it with whatever under it as it just snugs to your hips or abdomen depending on where you want to wear it. It doubles as a concealable warbelt as well if you throw a cover garment over it. 95% of the time I use the clutch belt as a concealment belly band with gym shorts carrying pistol, 1x reload, and phone. Downside it's hard to clean...

Clutch belt demo

My clutch belt as a war belt, holster, ifak, 2x pistol reload, 2x rifle reload, and gloves.

In classes or at the range I just toss Kydex carriers on my EDC leather gun belt as needed. This setup is simple to do but you have to watch the weight of the crap you put on your belt more closely. This stuff won't work for everyone but I found it works well for me. Downside, huge pain to put on and take off.

This is a pic of the crap I use on my EDC belt as needed, never all at once, it would be too heavy.

Raven concealment copia PR2 for rifle stuff. (this thing is new to me and im still playing with it, before I purchased the PR2 I used 2x bravo concealment m4 mag carriers.)
Blackpoint Tactical Holster and double mag carrier for pistol stuff.
Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma kit for medical stuff.

The good kydex is EXPENSIVE but it is worth it, the blackpoint gear has leather wings to give it bend and flex and the raven PR2 has kydex sheets that bend out and flex, its awesome. The clutch belt and the kydex crap on my edc belt works for me but it won't be for everyone.

If you want a 2 belt system for its stability Ronin Tactics is the place to look. They make awesome belts that are not much bigger than a standard pants belt. Downside it's a pain to put on and take off but super stable.

Take your time decide what you want to prioritize (bump in the night, range/classes, etc.) then figure out what meets that need the best. You don't want to drop $500 on a class and spend it fighting your gear. If you buy something put it on and jump up and down, get in and out of a chair, get down and look under your bed, etc. Make sure it's going to work before you fire the first round.

I hope this helps and hasn't sounded rude, I have wasted a boat load of money, time, and opportunities fighting with gear I didn't even need and hope my bad decisions can be learned from.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Look up garandthumb on YouTube
He's got great advice on setup
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Ronin belts seem to be the best out there right now, but they are expensive. I ended up ordering an AWS LAB Belt which should be here this week. The base belt is only $60. I plan on using several different holsters, some MOLLE, some not. Being able to add add and subtract MOLLE panels was attractive to me. I am going to use it was a SHTF/hunting/uspsa/range belt. Hopefully I can get a review up in the next two weeks once I get it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Do a search on E-bay looks to be some deals on there - I do not know the quality as always be safe.

Red
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Esstac shooters belt and kywi's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ve used the “strap on belts” like the HSGI. But those only stay in place for so long until they wear out. I got 4 rifle classes and a handful of range days out of mine.
When it came time to replace it. I got the robin tactics senshi belt. And I’m never going back. Best belt on the market. Buy once cry once. Don’t cheap out. Quality really shows on load bearing gear.
View Quote
This right here. Ronin tactics makes some of the best belts out there. You can use it as a quick first line belt too and just throw it on without the inner belt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep an eye on the equipment exchange here as there's always a supply of stuff coming and going.

Your range "war belt" can always be used as your nightstand belt, why buy more than one? Unless you want to, of course, but "train as you fight, fight as you train"...

If you want to buy new, the best value I've seen so far is the AWS LAB system.  And you can turn it into a padded belt with the addition of a HSGI Micro Grip Belt Panel for about $25.00.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll add a little more then I did as I mostly just pointed out costs.

I am also just a civi like another user mentioned with no practical experience other than range/class use.
My goal for a belt setup was something that evolved over time, just like my modifications to firearms evolved. I like to think they "matured."
At first I just wanted a molle 'war belt' because it seemed like another box to check. Chest rig? Check. Molle covered backpack? Check. Drop leg rig? Check
I had friends at the time that convinced me I needed to be able to carry like 12 mags on me and keep a giant fixed blade knife on my chest blah blah blah.
My first belt was a decent Eagle molle unit that I put Eagle FB pouches on and a dump pouch. I dropped a holster off it too but damn it if I didn't see all that extra unused molle and think "what else could I put on there?!"

Eventually I got tired of the feeling of the belt riding up everytime I would pull a mag and I started to want for something a little more covert.  My thought process being 'scalability.' A chest rig and/or plate carrier can be fairly overt and can also just be kind of overkill for a casual range session or maybe even a class. I wanted to be able to scale my gear upwards or downwards depending on the need. I applied this to belts too. I really really like the idea/look of all these inner/outer belt combos where I could attach dedicated pouches to the outer belt and then just throw the whole thing on. BUT, there are times where maybe I wouldn't want all those pouches, or I need to change pouches for the platform (5.56, .308, 12ga). So I went down the road of regular ole belt worn pouches.
Started with just my every day belt and found that holes punched in leather didn't offer enough adjustment. Got an Ares Ranger belt and thought that it was too stiff. Weaving it in and out of pouches was actually a PITA I thought. I also tried an Arcteryx riggers belt and another one I can't remember. But the whole time my thought process was the same: this belt is what I would grab if i needed it. Then I thought, what if I could just use my EDC belt. I carry a gun every day anyway, so what if I could easily scale up my EDC setup by simply changing holsters or adding a pouch or two?
I got a Volund Gearworks Atlas G-hook belt and I wear that thing every day. Even when I go backpacking I wear it. Actually just ordered one of their Aesir belts last night (another story).

The pouches though:
First you have to decide what all you want to be able to carry. For me I knew I wanted to be able to put a pistol on this belt. Whether it be an IWB, AIWB, OWB, or OWB that's dropped and offset, I needed this belt to do it all. that's how I landed on an 1.5" belt from Volund. In addition to a holster I need to be able to feed a pistol so a pistol mag pouch makes sense. If I'm just doing pistol training I'd want 2x pouches, but like the other user said sometimes I might only want 1x if i'm doing rifle and/or shotgun work so I bought single pistol pouches that I could just thread my belt through. Rifle pouches were the same mindset.
For all my ammo pouches I wanted them to be open, have decent retention, and allow one-handed re-insertion of mags.  I love my BFG ten-speed pouches but I am not skillful enough to quickly re-insert a magazine in to one.  Pouches like the EMDOM IAP, HSGI Taco, ESSTAC Kywi (and probably others) checked all my boxes and allowed for multiple different types of magazines. Kydex is a great answer too and I don't mind it for rifles, but on pistol mags it is often such a finite fitment that you can only run that gun. What I liked about the Taco and the EMDOM IAP was that I could put other things in the pistol pouches too like multi tools or flashlights.
At this point my go-to recommendation for mag pouches for this type of stuff is the ESSTAC kywi series.  Great retention, quick access, molle or belt compatible, good pricing and great quality.

I don't have any current pictures but my current setup is an ESSTAC double pistol kywi with the gap followed by an EMDOM IAP m4 mag pouch. I have an additional ESSTAC Kywi 5.56 pouch as well now. I've got a deployable dump pouch should the occasion arise, a belt mounted IFAK (new one inbound) whatever holster I'm using and maybe a fixed blade knife if i'm feeling tacticool, but honestly I can get by with my pocket folder and keep a handheld flashlight in a pocket.

So, for pouches I'd plan on spending about $60 or so at ESSTAC to feed your pistol and rifle, then get a decent belt like the Volund Atlas g-hooke or Aesir cobra. Then there are a variety of ways to put an ifak on the belt with the most expensive part being the contents of the ifak. I personally just ordered a Blue Force Gear micro trauma kit for my belt instead of the ITS tall boy I've got.

who doesn't love pictures?  
Older picture featuring my Volund Atlas g-hook belt
2x EMDOM IAP pistol pouches, EMDOM IAP m4 mag pouch, old TAD gear rapid reploy dump pouch, ITS Tactical tall boy ifak, Safariland ALS on paddle

The problem there being that my belt is pretty much maxed out on space:

Ditch the dump pouch cause who needs it and rotate all the mag pouches more clockwise so the pistol reloads are closer to 10'oclock and i get a lot of real estate back.  One of the reasons for the new Aesir belt I ordered is that it does not require overlap. The issue I was having is that the overlap was too thick and wouldn't fit through the belt loops of my mag pouches. Basically I needed to keep like 10 inches of space clear on the front.  

I've got a carbine class coming up in November that requires a pistol and my belt will be laid out like this:
1x double pistol pouch from Esstac, 1x 5.56 shorty from Esstac, 1x 5.56 tall from Esstac, BFG micro trauma kit now, trex arms ragnarok holster on UBL mid ride.  Been using this set up for dry fire and range use lately and it's the perfect balance of 'stuff' and maneuverability. I can comfortably kneel, go prone, run, jump and do it all without anything hanging off my shoulders or chest. I can even wear a jacket and keep it tucked behind everything so I won't get cold/wet.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Ronin tactical
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm LE and own 3 micro warbelts. Best one of the bunch is the Ronin, IMO. Its expensive, but you wont regret buying it and wont buy a second belt because you did not like the first. This is its own kind of savings, believe it or not. You only need 4 things on your belt, perhaps 5, as a civilian, IMO.

1. Handgun, preferably in a Safariland ALS holster, with a weapon light, and with a ALS 6006 flip guard. They make $40-60 versions in 7TS and the guard is like $12 And dont get a paddle holster for your war belt. I wear a riggers belt daily with a paddle ALS and that is NOT my warbelt rig. My warbelt rig is self contained and can be thrown on in 3 seconds. You want a belt loop mounted holster and preferably one with some sort of ability to swap out with other handguns, like a QLS or RTI system.
2. Two handgun mags, weak side, toward the front bullets facing your centerline. I like Esstac KWYI. They are not too crazy expensive, they are easy to remove yet stay put with no flaps to get in the way. There is a reason all competitive shooters keep their pistol mags there.
3. Rifle mag weak side hip, behind the pistol mags. I perfer it facing backward. I like the flexibility of a universal rifle pouch. The most flexible for loadout and best balance of retention/draw/reinsertion difficulty is the Emdom universal rifle magazine pouch. Unfortunately it is super expensive. I have Esstac, HSGI, etc. as well but the Emdom is head and shoulders above them. They hold any mags from one or two AR15 mags in a single pouch, to AK mags,  .308 mags, or even a radio. The pistol Emdoms are a bit harder to reinsert when you are training and doing repeated tac reloads in class etc.
4. Handheld flashlight. Your pocket is not where you want the backup light for your handgun. You need to be able to put it up quickly and my belt often interferes with my pockets. You cant just go around pointing guns at everything you want to light up with a flashlight. Actually using my warbelt as part of my duty gear, I would say the flashlight gets used the most. I will tell you my favorite light holster is the Forcetech kydex flashlight holsters. They are excellent and I managed to weave mine right into the molle. This is not a brand you will hear much about, but they are EXCELLENT. I hesitate to mention them because the guy who runs the company is doing it as a retired part time job and the company is doing so much business he is forced to work full time. By far the best kydex flashlight holsters I have ever seen or used. He does Surefire lights. You do own a Surefire don't you? If not they have Streamlight HLX and Fenix PD35TAC holsters. Oddly those are my three handhelds of choice.
5. IFAK on the lower back accessible with either hand. I'd take a tactical medic class and decide what you need and know how to use before making this purchase. SO Tech Viper, Velocity Systems, AWS, etc. take your pick. I like the AWS Lo-Vis Blow Out Pouch, which is sold through Ronin at a markup. To me its a perfect balance between capacity, belt molle width, thickness, and easy of draw.

Your first line belt should be everything you need to fight and a flashlight is one of those things you NEED. The Ronin works especially well with an HSGI micro grip  velcro in belt liner so you can use it without the Ronin inner belt with all of the above. Gives you the option of going velcro inner belt if you have time to suit up, or just a quick throw on set up with the HSGI micro grip.

I'm definitely not the "You gotta buy the most expensive stuff" guy, but I have tried LOTS of gear. The above will make you happy and you will never feel like you need to upgrade. Oh, and for attachment, the fight light malice clips are the best, only the short ones. I have literally like 70 spare molle attachment items in the gearbox I don't use. Just use Malice clips or fight light malice clips.

Anything else compromises the load by allowing it to shift and needing readjustment when you put it on, hurts after a while, is too bulky, or something.

I personally run a man down recovery strap, a radio pouch, a micro dump pouch for evidence,  and a handcuff case. I also run a Tac Link polymer carabiner on the right side of my med pouch to hold my gloves. Its cheap. light, and easy to access. It also is so flat it tucks out the way if you don't want to use it.

Just don't get a big fat old school war belt or try to use a nylon belt woven into pants loops. Both are a recipe for a second purchase down the road and money wasted.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm LE and own 3 micro warbelts. Best one of the bunch is the Ronin, IMO. Its expensive, but you wont regret buying it and wont buy a second belt because you did not like the first. This is its own kind of savings, believe it or not. You only need 4 things on your belt, perhaps 5, as a civilian, IMO.

1. Handgun, preferably in a Safariland ALS holster, with a weapon light, and with a ALS 6006 flip guard. They make $40-60 versions in 7TS and the guard is like $12 And dont get a paddle holster for your war belt. I wear a riggers belt daily with a paddle ALS and that is NOT my warbelt rig. My warbelt rig is self contained and can be thrown on in 3 seconds. You want a belt loop mounted holster and preferably one with some sort of ability to swap out with other handguns, like a QLS or RTI system.
2. Two handgun mags, weak side, toward the front bullets facing your centerline. I like Esstac KWYI. They are not too crazy expensive, they are easy to remove yet stay put with no flaps to get in the way. There is a reason all competitive shooters keep their pistol mags there.
3. Rifle mag weak side hip, behind the pistol mags. I perfer it facing backward. I like the flexibility of a universal rifle pouch. The most flexible for loadout and best balance of retention/draw/reinsertion difficulty is the Emdom universal rifle magazine pouch. Unfortunately it is super expensive. I have Esstac, HSGI, etc. as well but the Emdom is head and shoulders above them. They hold any mags from one or two AR15 mags in a single pouch, to AK mags,  .308 mags, or even a radio. The pistol Emdoms are a bit harder to reinsert when you are training and doing repeated tac reloads in class etc.
4. Handheld flashlight. Your pocket is not where you want the backup light for your handgun. You need to be able to put it up quickly and my belt often interferes with my pockets. You cant just go around pointing guns at everything you want to light up with a flashlight. Actually using my warbelt as part of my duty gear, I would say the flashlight gets used the most. I will tell you my favorite light holster is the Forcetech kydex flashlight holsters. They are excellent and I managed to weave mine right into the molle. This is not a brand you will hear much about, but they are EXCELLENT. I hesitate to mention them because the guy who runs the company is doing it as a retired part time job and the company is doing so much business he is forced to work full time. By far the best kydex flashlight holsters I have ever seen or used. He does Surefire lights. You do own a Surefire don't you?
5. IFAK on the lower back accessible with either hand. I'd take a tactical medic class and decide what you need and know how to use before making this purchase. SO Tech Viper, Velocity Systems, AWS, etc. take your pick. I like the AWS Lo-Vis Blow Out Pouch, which is sold through Ronin at a markup. To me its a perfect balance between capacity, belt molle width, thickness, and easy of draw.

Your first line belt should be everything you need to fight and a flashlight is one of those things you NEED. The Ronin works especially well with an HSGI micro grip  velcro in belt liner so you can use it without the Ronin inner belt with all of the above. Gives you the option of going velcro inner belt if you have time to suit up, or just a quick throw on set up with the HSGI micro grip.

I'm definitely not the "You gotta buy the most expensive stuff" guy, but I have tried LOTS of gear. The above will make you happy and you will never feel like you need to upgrade. Oh, and for attachment, the fight light malice clips are the best, only the short ones. I have literally like 70 spare molle attachment items in the gearbox I don't use. Just use Malice clips or fight light malice clips.

Anything else compromises the load by allowing it to shift and needing readjustment when you put it on, hurts after a while, is too bulky, or something.

I personally run a man down recovery strap, a radio pouch, and a handcuff case. I also run a Tac Link polymer carabiner on the right side of my med pouch to hold my gloves. Its cheap. light, and easy to access. It also is so flat it tucks out the way if you don't want to use it.

Just don't get a big fat old school war belt or try to use a nylon belt woven into pants loops. Both are a recipe for a second purchase down the road and money wasted.
View Quote
These lessons and recommendations are spot on.  I'm going to go ahead and invest in one of the Ronin belts.  I'm currently working with HSGI's slotted Slim Grip and it's been pretty functional, but I use it in conjunction with my IOTV.  My ITOV gets put on and taken off several times a day when advising.  I keep my pistol and (most of the time) my rifle on me, so I it's just easier to drop the loaded IOTV but maintain the battle belt with some essentials and a few mags.  I may add a small knife, but right now it's just a pistol (M9) with G-Code holster, two extra pistol mags, one extra (will soon be two) M4 mag, small blowout kit (smaller S.O.Tech Viper), tactical light and a multitool pouch (that's option as it's often kept on my IOTV).  I pretty much wear the belt all day, so comfort does matter.  You don't want it overloaded as it's not just heavy and bulky, but can get hung up getting into an out of helos or vehicles, navigating narrow passages or tight-ass chairs.  The beauty for me is that it's a "grab and go" belt that I can leave setup and just quickly strap it on.  I can go from simple office work one day to fully kitted out for a convoy to my advisee's headquarters.

I really like the idea of the Ronin setup with HSGI's micro grip panel...simple and functional and if not overloaded, relatively comfortable without a lot of bulk.

I have a couple of larger and bulkier battle belts I taken some classes with.  I really love the location and access, but it's really easier to overload them.  They work great for a one-day class with several breaks, but hauling them around all day is where you start to feel it.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Seriously how can nobody say HSGI yet? Hands down the best belt out there. Plus get some tacos from them too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Look up garandthumb on YouTube
He's got great advice on setup
View Quote
Except his setup is not comfortable to drive around in a car with, nor can you throw it on in 3 seconds. It's a very modern military / spec ops / infantry minded setup. For a civilian, or a Detective like me, the ability to throw your belt on for an active shooter in seconds or wear it driving around and doing surveillance comfortably for long periods are big considerations. We don't all have the luxury of gearing up like a SWAT guy well in advance and riding in on a bench seat in a Bearcat or APC and spend the rest of your time dismounted.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Love all the different opinions and set ups, pretty cool to see the reasoning and not just pics for once.

I will be curious to see what OP thinks as his original post said range and class use and his second indicates nightstand grab and go, neither of those are mutually exclusive but they can alter gear choices significantly. If I had to guess I would say you guys are probably closer to what OP wants than what I had suggested for range/drills vs full grab and go battle belts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In my dumb civilian opinion I would set up a nice range/class setup first and use it to take some classes, then worry about nightstand gear later as having the time or opportunity to put it on will be slim in the event you need it. You will be better served taking more classes and burning more ammo to develop skills you can use in a bump in the night, this will also provide a better perspective on what you need if you decide to get another belt.

Below is the gear that I like and it works for me, it's kind of a long one.

If you decide you do want/need a quick grab belt I would suggest a one piece quick on and off belt that will stay in place. For that I will suggest the unity tactical clutch belt with whatever flavor of kydex you like, this thing is not for everyone but it's a really neat piece of gear. Its elastic, goes on fast, and stays put. It's like a belly band and a warbelt had a baby. You can wear it with whatever under it as it just snugs to your hips or abdomen depending on where you want to wear it. It doubles as a concealable warbelt as well if you throw a cover garment over it. 95% of the time I use the clutch belt as a concealment belly band with gym shorts carrying pistol, 1x reload, and phone. Downside it's hard to clean...

Clutch belt demo

My clutch belt as a war belt, holster, ifak, 2x pistol reload, 2x rifle reload, and gloves.
https://i.imgur.com/pQZMKZL.jpg

In classes or at the range I just toss Kydex carriers on my EDC leather gun belt as needed. This setup is simple to do but you have to watch the weight of the crap you put on your belt more closely. This stuff won't work for everyone but I found it works well for me. Downside, huge pain to put on and take off.

This is a pic of the crap I use on my EDC belt as needed, never all at once, it would be too heavy.
https://i.imgur.com/soldasL.jpg

Raven concealment copia PR2 for rifle stuff. (this thing is new to me and im still playing with it, before I purchased the PR2 I used 2x bravo concealment m4 mag carriers.)
Blackpoint Tactical Holster and double mag carrier for pistol stuff.
Blue Force Gear Micro Trauma kit for medical stuff.

The good kydex is EXPENSIVE but it is worth it, the blackpoint gear has leather wings to give it bend and flex and the raven PR2 has kydex sheets that bend out and flex, its awesome. The clutch belt and the kydex crap on my edc belt works for me but it won't be for everyone.

If you want a 2 belt system for its stability Ronin Tactics is the place to look. They make awesome belts that are not much bigger than a standard pants belt. Downside it's a pain to put on and take off but super stable.

Take your time decide what you want to prioritize (bump in the night, range/classes, etc.) then figure out what meets that need the best. You don't want to drop $500 on a class and spend it fighting your gear. If you buy something put it on and jump up and down, get in and out of a chair, get down and look under your bed, etc. Make sure it's going to work before you fire the first round.

I hope this helps and hasn't sounded rude, I have wasted a boat load of money, time, and opportunities fighting with gear I didn't even need and hope my bad decisions can be learned from.
View Quote
Came to post the Clutch Belt.  Fully intend on one of these for myself.  Best all around setup I have found IMO
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#24]
How about a Crye MRB? Where I shoot a few guys use them and seem to love them. It's not super pricey either. I was thinking of grabbing one to try and have as a spare belt since I often bring friends with me who don't have that type of gear
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Great replies guys, thanks. The reason for 2 is my thinking of 2 is one 1 is none. And advantage to throwing a set up to a second person. For me I will be punching paper, doing drills/training on private land and pistol/carbine classes. And of course SHTF events. So I am not worried about airframes, or kicking doors for a living. However a practical, comfortable and affordable war belt needs to be part of my gear.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#26]
To keep my wallet happy, I used a bunch of surplus items for my war belt:

- Belt - ALICE LC-2
- holster - my old Serpa Level III duty holster (no longer in LE)
- Knife - fixed blade Cold Steel SRK in sheath
- dump pouch - MOLLE USMC surplus.
- pistol Magazine pouch - surplus three magazine pistol magazine pouch.

I carry rifle mags, IFAK, and every thing else on my plate carrier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like my hsgi belt

Attachment Attached File

I also have a USMC warbelt I bought for $30. It's almost as good. I'd be perfectly happy with just that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Choices are a good thing.  I’m finding various belt setups fit better situations.  My larger belt systems are best run without a plate carrier or one that is minimalist or stripped down.  The integrated belt like the Ronin actually work well with a loaded plate carrier, but it also means trimming down on the belt loadout.  One thing for certain, the “battle belt” concept really fits the ‘minuteman’ concept of grabbing your gear on the go.  They aren’t for every situation, but I’m finding them quite versatile across a spectrum of situations.  I’m using the HSGI slotted slim-grip battle belt mated to their Velcro cobra belt.  It’s extremely comfortable with minimal bulk.  I’m waiting on my Ronin belt and figure it may be a little better setup for my operations here. Worn daily and when working outside the wire where I also have my IOTV. It will keep my handgun, and essentials on me and I can either carry extra ammo or just transfer if the bulk is to uncomfortable for the tasks at hand.  I’m looking forward to trying out that setup.

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top