Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2017 12:41:55 PM EDT
Looking for a detergent to use on clothing that will not make me glow when detected with night vision.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Try the UV killer laundry soaps used by hunters.

Atsko UV Killer
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try the UV killer laundry soaps used by hunters.

Atsko UV Killer
View Quote
The Atsko Sport Wash / Sensi Clean laundry detergent is good stuff.

You probably don't need the UV-killer unless the clothing has already been washed in regular detergent with brighteners, although they might pick up a little from the washing machine or dryer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If people with night vision (mil/LE) are after you, IR glow will likely be the least of your problems. It's unlikely that hog hunters will be after you.

Try the UV  Killer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. This came up in a conversation about blue hats.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Blue hats like UN forces? Most of those guys are from places like Ethiopia or Fiji. They're sent from nations that fear a coup if their military stayed home or nations that have UN forces stationed there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Woolite will also be fine on IR-treated garments.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Just don't use soap.  I don't use soap on my hunting clothes at all.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Woolite will also be fine on IR-treated garments.
View Quote
Came to post this. I use Woolite dark on my uniforms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are worried about the "Blue hats", standard night vision is only one side of the "see at night" capability. Thermal can still spot you at greater distance than NVGs will. Even with the best uniforms if the ambient temp is below about 90*, you light up like a Christmas tree. It doesn't matter what you wash your uniforms with, or what they are treated with, FLIR optics will still see you.

I'm a Fed LEO and even we have handheld FLIRs now... and we aren't even close to the super high speed stuff the military guys are running. Playing around with them in open fields, I would lose sight of someone with standard NVGs, while with the FLIR I could still pick them out at double the distance where the NV faded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top