Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2017 3:58:35 PM EDT
I am a police officer and wear a Mayflower low profile armor carrier almost every day.  I'm looking for some light weight plates to add to it that will stay in the carrier 24/7.  May major concerns are all types of 5.56 7.62x39.

So far I have looked at
http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html
https://www.velsyst.com/ppe-level-iii-stand-alone.html
https://www.velsyst.com/lwpe-polyethylene-plate.html

Does anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am a police officer and wear a Mayflower low profile armor carrier almost every day.  I'm looking for some light weight plates to add to it that will stay in the carrier 24/7.  May major concerns are all types of 5.56 7.62x39.

So far I have looked at
http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html
https://www.velsyst.com/ppe-level-iii-stand-alone.html
https://www.velsyst.com/lwpe-polyethylene-plate.html

Does anyone have any experience with these or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

I have the bulletproofme 3+ plates there. They are way lighter than my old level IV plates. No experience getting shot with them

With that said you can't go wrong with velsys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Most people say that polyethylene plates aren't good for law enforcement use because of M855. I disagree provided the plates are for everyday use.the chance of an officer getting in a gunfight is vanishingly small. The chance that in that gunfight the shooter will have a rifle are low. The chance of that rifle being a 5.56 loaded with M855 at a distance where the round is moving over about 3kfps are also small. When it comes to armor you wear every day, a sub 3lb polyethylene ICW plate is going to be much better for your back, one of the places a cop is most likley to be injured just by being on the job, than a 4.5lb+ plate. If you're using it as an active shooter rig, i.e. going towards a gunfight where the shooter likley has a rifle and will probably be at close range it's diffrent.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most people say that polyethylene plates aren't good for law enforcement use because of M855. I disagree provided the plates are for everyday use.the chance of an officer getting in a gunfight is vanishingly small. The chance that in that gunfight the shooter will have a rifle are low. The chance of that rifle being a 5.56 loaded with M855 at a distance where the round is moving over about 3kfps are also small. When it comes to armor you wear every day, a sub 3lb polyethylene ICW plate is going to be much better for your back, one of the places a cop is most likley to be injured just by being on the job, than a 4.5lb+ plate. If you're using it as an active shooter rig, i.e. going towards a gunfight where the shooter likley has a rifle and will probably be at close range it's diffrent.
View Quote
There are light III+ ceramic/poly plates rated for M855, an example being the Paraclete Speed Plate PLUS. The 10x12s are 5.1 pounds.

ETA: I know that, like you said, pure poly plates are even lighter but I'd argue the chances of encountering M855 aren't that slim.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There are light III+ ceramic/poly plates rated for M855, an example being the Paraclete Speed Plate PLUS. The 10x12s are 5.1 pounds.

ETA: I know that, like you said, pure poly plates are even lighter but I'd argue the chances of encountering M855 aren't that slim.
View Quote
Have any mass shooters used M855 though? I'm sure cops find it all the time but back when they tried to ban it the rhetoric was that no cop had ever been shot with M855.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
No reason for police to wear plates on patrol. We haven't reached that point yet and the weight penalty just isn't worth it. Even if you get the Velocity API plates you'll still be smoked at the end of your shift, plus unnecessary wear and tear on your back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Have any mass shooters used M855 though? I'm sure cops find it all the time but back when they tried to ban it the rhetoric was that no cop had ever been shot with M855.
View Quote
If its sold at the local Walmart (XM855 at mine) then its possible it could end up in a gun fight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If its sold at the local Walmart (XM855 at mine) then its possible it could end up in a gun fight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my point. M855 isn't exactly uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find myself getting shot at by it if fighting someone armed with a 5.56 rifle.

Also, how does pure poly stand up to steel jacketed rounds like most 7.62x39 and 54r? I don't know and have been curious for a while...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That was my point. M855 isn't exactly uncommon. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find myself getting shot at by it if fighting someone armed with a 5.56 rifle.

Also, how does pure poly stand up to steel jacketed rounds like most 7.62x39 and 54r? I don't know and have been curious for a while...
View Quote
I've done no testing with x54, but a pure poly will stop everything x39 that I've shot at one. I sent one to u/bluefalcon/youtuber the chopping block and it stopped everything he shot it with except the M855, and it did stop it out of a 14.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I tend to agree with you.
Unless hes in a Swat team or involved in other special operations..

I really hope you guys in the US didnt reach that point were a cop has to wear a level 4 armor everyday..
Otherwise you should join the Usmc

OP if you dont mind me asking, is there any particular reason youre concerned about 556/762? Is it so common to face these threats in your are? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll agree that as you move down the list the chances of all those cases get slimmer.  After certain events that unfolded not that long ago I decided I deal with a few extra pounds.  I have an active shooter rig with plates that are in the 7 pound range.  I definitely can't carry those around all day.

Does anyone know if the plates listed will stop M855?  All I have found out on them in my limited research so far is they will stop 7.62 nato.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No reason for police to wear plates on patrol. We haven't reached that point yet and the weight penalty just isn't worth it. Even if you get the Velocity API plates you'll still be smoked at the end of your shift, plus unnecessary wear and tear on your back.
View Quote
I'll disagree.  What is the determining factor for when we have reached that point?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OP if you dont mind me asking, is there any particular reason youre concerned about 556/762? Is it so common to face these threats in your are? Just curious.
View Quote
Its getting somewhat common to find AR's and AK's lately.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll agree that as you move down the list the chances of all those cases get slimmer.  After certain events that unfolded not that long ago I decided I deal with a few extra pounds.  I have an active shooter rig with plates that are in the 7 pound range.  I definitely can't carry those around all day.

Does anyone know if the plates listed will stop M855?  All I have found out on them in my limited research so far is they will stop 7.62 nato.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BulletProofMe plate states specifically on it's linked page that it stops M855. 

Generally speaking any plate with a ceramic strike face will stop M855 and high velocity 5.56 like M193 out of a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The BulletProofMe plate states specifically on it's linked page that it stops M855. 

Generally speaking any plate with a ceramic strike face will stop M855 and high velocity 5.56 like M193 out of a 20" barrel.
View Quote
I saw that.  Was wondering more about the velocity ones since they are lighter.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think the velocity ones have a ceramic layer so they probably would not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#16]
HESCO Armor 3610
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Neither is rated for M855, they're both pure poly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, if you plan on leaving these in your squad car with the AC off these might not be a good option. Most poly plates I have seen say not to leave them in a hot car.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Most high quality plates have PE built in. I have never had a plate denature at car temps in summer in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Theses wont be ridding in a trunk all the time.  The way things go I won't be able to get them when I need them.  Just looking for something to wear all the time.  

Thanks for the info so far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most high quality plates have PE built in. I have never had a plate denature at car temps in summer in Texas.
View Quote
They won't.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They won't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They won't.
But isn't it recommended not to store PE plates in the heat anyways for extended periods of time?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But isn't it recommended not to store PE plates in the heat anyways for extended periods of time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They won't.
The Armys ECH helmet (replacement for the ACH) is pure poly from what I understand. Maybe the Army knows something we don't or the ECH will turn out to be a huge flop, but it seems manufacturers are finding ways to mitigate the effects of heat on polyethylene if they're trusting a poly helmet to last in the hands of soldiers.

BulletProof me recommends against prolonged storage in areas with heat above 150 degrees Fahrenheit. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Plates and helmets are made with polyethylene, which is very temperature-tolerant (at least, within ranges you're likely to find a human; the kind used in armor doesn't melt until well above boiling). Heat "can" damage them, and most companies will recommend you avoid it as a CYA statement, but the primary risk is direct sunlight. UV breaks apart the PE chains and weakens the armor at a molecular level.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
M855 type ammo has been used in a couple high profile active shooter events.  It is a very common threat to encounter in US law enforcement
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll disagree.  What is the determining factor for when we have reached that point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you are carrying a long gun on every call. You should absolutely have a slicked down PC to throw on for high risk calls, but the primary firearm threat to LE is still pistol caliber rounds. The juice of plates just isn't worth the squeeze of daily wear. The poly are light but they are thick and single curve and that will only serve to enhance your discomfort.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
M855 type ammo has been used in a couple high profile active shooter events.  It is a very common threat to encounter in US law enforcement
View Quote
WalMart test - if you can buy it in bulk at local retailers, its a threat round. Short of specialized roles (like maritime where drowning is a more likely threat than M855) I would avoid pure poly plates for domestic LE use.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Now you guys have got me all nervous about my HDPE plates.

What are some good ceramic options around $150 a plate?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top