Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2017 3:05:03 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 60L to 70L backpack for short (long weekend) hikes, with a suspension system that can deal with a ~45 lb load (water is heavy...).

I've gone to REI and tried on all of the men's backpacks (and even some of the women's packs), and everything over 50L ends up hitting me in the back of the head if I try to look up at the sky with the pack on. The REI Traverse was the worst; if my head is level (looking straight forward) I end up with an aluminum bar (part of the "internal frame") trying to push it's way into the back of my skull.

Are there any military packs that might be worth considering? Those seem to be better designed for looking up (i.e., shooting prone with a rifle).

I've been trying the Source Double-D, but that's only a 45L pack. I really want something bigger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what the budget is for you but I love my Hill People Gear Ute.

HPG Ute
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HPG Ute
View Quote
Price is a little higher than I'd like, but they list two (radically different) capacity numbers.

"Length: 7.50 in
Width: 12.00 in
Height: 24.00 in
Comparative Volume: 3600ci / 60L"

7.5 * 12 * 24 = 2160, not 3600.

2160 cubic inches = 35.39 liters, not 60.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Just about all packs at the size will, to a degree, hit you in the back of the heads if you load it completely full if the suspension is properly adjusted for your body. For guys, I usually recommend taking a solid glance at the Gregory Baltoro lineup. I would definitely make sure that the pack frame is properly fitted to your body as well-- which is something folks at REI can measure and help you out with.

Unless you want to get into the ALICE/mountain-ruck style, even large military-style packs will have that head issue (Kifaru, Mystery ranch, EXO Mountain gear, etc.)
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
If you swing by your local National Guard or Army Reserve armory, the recruiter there will be happy to get you a .mil spec rucksack w/ frame.  All you have to do is sign some paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not the lightest but I have been happy with the ILBE I picked up a couple of years ago. It's a little bigger 75L but carries everything I need including a lot of water.  I found it new for a great deal and its works.  When absolutely fully loaded I guess it would bump my head and I'm 6'3" but I don't normally stuff the top cover too much.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Price is a little higher than I'd like, but they list two (radically different) capacity numbers.

View Quote
I have always been confused by these numbers from HPG as well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have always been confused by these numbers f
rom HPG as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always been confused by these numbers f
rom HPG as well.
The numbers are confusing so I went ahead and bought the Qui-Ya. I just went on my first multi-day backpacking trip with some friends and the pack performed great once I got all the straps dialed in the way I wanted them.

My load weighed in at 37lb with food and water for four days. My sleep system consisted of a hammock/tarp and a woobie plus a couple extra base layers at night. I didn't really bring anything that didn't get used on the trip and still ended up pretty much filling up the Qui-Ya with gear. I guess the point that I am trying to make is that the Ute would not have been big enough without a Tarapocket or some other similar add on.

It is very tempting to build up a modular system out of HPG components. UTE+Tarapocket+2016 Butt Pack (which straps onto the lid of the UTE) would make a pretty slick, scalable system but by the time you spend all that money putting it together, you might as well just buy the Qui-Ya and tighten those compression straps down to whatever load you need to carry.

I do not regret spending the money. My pack is worth every penny and I will probably be a repeat customer at some point.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think any pack that's 60l+ is going to have a tall enough lid that if you tilt your head back you're gonna bonk it.  My Arcteryx Bora 80, if I remember right, has a cut-out area to be helmet compatible. But it looks about like this guy when i'm wearing it:

My old Bora 80 is by far the most comfortable pack i've had all the way up through 40lbs. I just got a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace 60 (nimbus 70) and while I like it I need some more time in it to see how I truly feel about it. I do love the panel loading and all the compression straps.

My friend went through a ton of mil-surp packs trying to find the perfect pack. I also spent my fair share of time with military style packs from Camelbak, Mystery Ranch, Kifary, Kelty and some others i'm forgetting. What I learned was that they probably have some pretty cool features for people who are actually deploying with them, but they're not necessarily the best thing for backpacking.  My friend's last foray with mil-surps were a Bergans 120L bag and the ILBE.  He removed like half the molle and some other stuff from the ILBE to lighten it up but it was still heavier than any other pack we've ever had.  Did it do anything any better than the commercial offerings? No. But at least at the time it was fairly inexpensive, I guess they have a cult following now and have gone up in value a lot.

Short story: I'd say stick with off the shell back packing packs. Try stuff on like you did, but maybe buy online from sierratradingpost.com or moosejaw.com or whoever has it cheap.  Osprey is another great back company with lots of cool features.

Maybe i'm spoiled backpacking in WA, but are there no water sources where you go hiking there? I pack maybe 1-2 liters at max and plan on filtering everything else along the way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think any pack that's 60l+ is going to have a tall enough lid that if you tilt your head back you're gonna bonk it.  My Arcteryx Bora 80, if I remember right, has a cut-out area to be helmet compatible. But it looks about like this guy when i'm wearing it:
http://www.moontrail.com/details/arcteryx/bora-80/arct-bora80-manc.jpg

My old Bora 80 is by far the most comfortable pack i've had all the way up through 40lbs. I just got a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace 60 (nimbus 70) and while I like it I need some more time in it to see how I truly feel about it. I do love the panel loading and all the compression straps.

My friend went through a ton of mil-surp packs trying to find the perfect pack. I also spent my fair share of time with military style packs from Camelbak, Mystery Ranch, Kifary, Kelty and some others i'm forgetting. What I learned was that they probably have some pretty cool features for people who are actually deploying with them, but they're not necessarily the best thing for backpacking.  My friend's last foray with mil-surps were a Bergans 120L bag and the ILBE.  He removed like half the molle and some other stuff from the ILBE to lighten it up but it was still heavier than any other pack we've ever had.  Did it do anything any better than the commercial offerings? No. But at least at the time it was fairly inexpensive, I guess they have a cult following now and have gone up in value a lot.

Short story: I'd say stick with off the shell back packing packs. Try stuff on like you did, but maybe buy online from sierratradingpost.com or moosejaw.com or whoever has it cheap.  Osprey is another great back company with lots of cool features.

Maybe i'm spoiled backpacking in WA, but are there no water sources where you go hiking there? I pack maybe 1-2 liters at max and plan on filtering everything else along the way.
View Quote
Summer in Texas. Lots of dry streams, and most camp sites don't have water access.

I think my last trip I went through 7 liters in less than 20 hours (13.2 miles, 99 degree high temp).
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

HPG Ute
View Quote
UTE is awesome. I just ordered a pack bucket for mine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Op, Check out the Kelty Falcon.

It's a 66 liter pack that the top is removable to reduce it's size if needed. It's avalible in Tan and brown. It's covered in Molle webbing for whatever expansion you want. I bought it initially to hike 25 miles through Yosemite. It was an AWESOME trip, and the pack was perfect. My bad weighed in at 48lbs when loaded and was pretty good on the trail. Felt stable and solid. Easy to adjust and has now gone on other adventures with me. Only thing I had a hard time with is finding matching pouches when I wanted to make additions. I just used Multicam to break up the brown on it and it looked and blended fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Try the Baltoro75 from Gregory. It's the shit.
It feels like it's gonna hit you in the head when you try it on in the store, but once you have weight in it, it will actually flex in a way that you won't ever have it hitting you in the head. Fully adjustable waist belt that flexes independently is a godsend in the mountains.

I've taken mine to some rugged ass places. LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't get Baltoro due to hitting my head. Got the Osprey Aether 70. Love it. Hiked all over Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, and Colorado with it. Just don't try to strap a bear canister on the top. I'd rent the mandarory bear canister, leave it in the truck, an hoist food into trees in a Kevlar or UHMWPE bag, in a loksak.

I find I get tired and spend lots of time looking down, not up. I'd never try to shoot with a pack like that on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have experience with the Kelty Falcon? Seems like with the brain remove it would work for me (60L pack), other than being heavy (~7 lbs). The fact that it's setup to carry two bladders is really attractive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Kelty Falcon up until this year in the tan color. Pretty light color in my opinion.

Here it is with a tent on one side and a molle attached 'pod' on the other side full of i can't remember what. This was like a 45lb load for a simple overnight with friends but I wanted to bring a lot of stuff.
1. The pack is pretty comfortable and the adjustable yoke is simple enough to do on the fly.
2. There's a lot of molle for better or worse
3. Giant rear facing panel makes loading and unloading a breeze
4. Included rain cover in zipper pouch is pretty cool
5. Ability to remove lid and scale down the size is nice too.

Overall not a bad pack.

Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I had a Kelty Falcon up until this year in the tan color. Pretty light color in my opinion.
https://i.imgur.com/Rlm6p2l.jpg

Here it is with a tent on one side and a molle attached 'pod' on the other side full of i can't remember what. This was like a 45lb load for a simple overnight with friends but I wanted to bring a lot of stuff.
1. The pack is pretty comfortable and the adjustable yoke is simple enough to do on the fly.

Overall not a bad pack.

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-c9gaghhv/products/2068/images/5205/KL17_Falcon_CoyoteBrown_frontLoad_web__48156.1489443426.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote
Is it really setup to hang two different bladders inside?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Rlm6p2l.jpg

Overall not a bad pack.

https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-c9gaghhv/products/2068/images/5205/KL17_Falcon_CoyoteBrown_frontLoad_web__48156.1489443426.1280.1280.jpg?c=2
View Quote
There is a Kelty Raven 2500 for sale locally for $80. Trying to contact the seller now.

Score!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Osprey Atmos AG 65
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag to see what other people suggest

I'm looking for exactly what op is describing

Almost pulled the trigger on an Ospreys at Sheels
for $180

But wanted to do more research on them
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is it really setup to hang two different bladders inside?
View Quote
i believe it has two vertical pouches on the sides inside. partially visible in the stock photo I included. You'd sacrifice a bit of internal space for water. There's enough molle you could mount something on the outside too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The mystery ranch crew cab is probably an option for you. link to pack. It goes from 1900-5000 (80L) cubic inches pretty readily, and as you stated doesn't raise up high vertically. I use it at work for rucks and other field problems precisely because i can wear an ACH with it and it doesn't restrict mobility of my head. The suspension system is good as well, i routinely carry 50-75 lbs in it. The only tradeoff is when the weight gets over 50 lbs you pay the price for the lower total height of the pack. The frame just isn't tall enough to get full use of the load lifters. That's going to affect any pack you get though if you're looking for lower total height.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a few Eberlestock packs and have never looked back. There are many great options from them IMO.
The SkyCrane is my current go to, due to the extreme versatility of it.  

The lady uses a Kelty Coyote 65 for 95% of excursions and it has really held up well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#24]
+1 for the Baltoro 75. Luckily I got it during REI's Labor Day sale a few weeks back and took that bitch with me to Denali. Rugged, comfortable and chock full of awesome features.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a few Eberlestock packs and have never looked back. There are many great options from them IMO.

The lady uses a Kelty Coyote 65 for 95% of excursions and it has really held up well.
View Quote
The Coyote 65 is one of those packs I'd really like to try but can't find locally. The 80L version is way to big for what I'm doing (which I have found locally, and it's just way too big).

How high do the hard parts of the suspension extend above where the shoulder straps connect to the top of the pack? That's the measurement that seems to be causing my big head to have problems.

Are you sure your wife is using the Coyote 65? The women's Coyote packs come in a 60L and 70L; the men's come in a 65L and an 80L.

ETA: About the only reviews I can find online of the Coyote 65 are preppers that have a garage full of unused gear and zero experience, plus one hipster from California who calls it a "kay-oh-TAAAY" pack (with a thick fake Asian accent) instead of a "Ki-oh-tee" pack...10 seconds into the video I want to just punch that dude in the throat while screaming "It's pronounced coyote you idiot!"...so, yeah, his review wasn't much help either...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#26]
https://www.rei.com/product/876567/deuter-act-lite-65-10-pack-mens

This is what I settled on. Really great pack with plenty of room, expandability , and good airy suspension that does not feel sweaty on your back like most internal frame packs.  Durable too. I have drug it around for many miles now, and it's holding up fine. I have the green version, and it's pretty easy on the eyes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is what I settled on. Really great pack with plenty of room, expandability , and good airy suspension that does not feel sweaty on your back like most internal frame packs.  Durable too. I have drug it around for many miles now, and it's holding up fine. I have the green version, and it's pretty easy on the eyes.
View Quote
I tried those. Found the 50+10 fit well, but the 65+10 really restricted my head movement.

What's your take on the "+10" feature? Currently I'm using a Source Double D (45L pack) with a REI FlexLite chair strapped to the bottom and a Kelty TrailLogic2 tent split between two MOLLE Sustainment Pouches (roughly 6L each) on each side for a total of ~60L of gear. I'm concerned the 50+10 would be too small.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Check out Arcteryx. My Khard works good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Coyote 65 is one of those packs I'd really like to try but can't find locally. The 80L version is way to big for what I'm doing (which I have found locally, and it's just way too big).

How high do the hard parts of the suspension extend above where the shoulder straps connect to the top of the pack? That's the measurement that seems to be causing my big head to have problems.

Are you sure your wife is using the Coyote 65? The women's Coyote packs come in a 60L and 70L; the men's come in a 65L and an 80L.

ETA: About the only reviews I can find online of the Coyote 65 are preppers that have a garage full of unused gear and zero experience, plus one hipster from California who calls it a "kay-oh-TAAAY" pack (with a thick fake Asian accent) instead of a "Ki-oh-tee" pack...10 seconds into the video I want to just punch that dude in the throat while screaming "It's pronounced coyote you idiot!"...so, yeah, his review wasn't much help either...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pulled out the packs in question just to be sure.
I thought I got her the 65L, it is indeed the 80L, which you stated is not what you are looking for.
Must have looked at the 65L but went 80L just for the amount of crap it takes to stay out for a while.
As far as it being a men's model, she is smaller frame but tall, we where able to adjust the pack to fit her extremely well.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I pulled out the packs in question just to be sure.
I thought I got her the 65L, it is indeed the 80L, which you stated is not what you are looking for.
Must have looked at the 65L but went 80L just for the amount of crap it takes to stay out for a while.
As far as it being a men's model, she is smaller frame but tall, we where able to adjust the pack to fit her extremely well.

https://i.imgur.com/EkfGQop.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zuZHO8D.jpg
View Quote
Nice campsite. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#31]
The problem with military packs is weight, they've gotta be built to survive your average Private.  I've got a ILBE pack and a Kelty Redcloud.  Both hold about the same amount of stuff with the KELTY having an extra 100 cubic inches of space but coming in at half the weight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I tried those. Found the 50+10 fit well, but the 65+10 really restricted my head movement.

What's your take on the "+10" feature? Currently I'm using a Source Double D (45L pack) with a REI FlexLite chair strapped to the bottom and a Kelty TrailLogic2 tent split between two MOLLE Sustainment Pouches (roughly 6L each) on each side for a total of ~60L of gear. I'm concerned the 50+10 would be too small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...I have only had it loaded and expanded all the way to full capacity on one one trip and honestly I did not find the head movement to be an issue...I think any large capacity pack is going to go upward like that but getting out walking and trying it on in the store are two different things...I really dont think its an issue.

I am of two minds on the large vs smaller packs...the more shit you can fit, the more shit you tend to pack and things get heavy. Its good to be forced to pack light, but its nice to have the room if if you need it.

I think its really a best bang for the buck in a quality lightweight backpacking pack. It has really awesome adjustment so you can dial in the fit which is honestly THE most important thing if you want to enjoy your experience with weight on your back.

Rei has a fantastic return policy if you wanted to try it out, but honestly once you did I would be very surprised if you did not like it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#33]
My brother picked up one of these. It has held up very well and is actually pretty comfortable.

Amazon Product
  • HIGH RANKING PACK: Continues to be a top selling backpack on Amazon at a great price for the included features; Rugged internal frame backpack with a 4,000 cubic inch (65 L) capacity--large enough for 2-5 day trips; Backpack for men, women and youth
  • BEATS OUT OTHER PACKS IN ITS CLASS: Packs at much higher prices can't compare to this pack, it's so well built; Includes pass through side pockets for storing tent poles, etc.; Hydration ready (bladder not included); Pack weight 5 pounds (2.3 kg)
  • FIVE-STAR COMFORT: Multi-position torso adjustment fits wide range of body sizes; Durable open-cell foam lumbar pad and molded channels provide maximum comfort and airflow; Backpack for men and women

Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#34]
to bring some life back to a dying thread...

Another positive vote for Eberlestock packs.

I have three different size packs from them and they are all great packs.

My Halftrack (2200 Cubic inch pack) has been around the world several times and is still my go-to bag when traveling.
The Operator (4700 cu in) is my deployment bag for work (has room for my M4 with a cover).
And I have a small Gunrunner (1400 cu in) for hunting/day trek either with or without a rifle.

My halftrack has seen the most use of any pack I have ever owned and I haven't had a single issue with it...ever. the fabric still looks like the day I got it (minus some dirt and stains), with no pulls, no fuzzy patches and no holes.

And they also stand behind their product with a lifetime warranty for defects or material failure.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Another Kelty Falcon fan here.

For overnighters, I have a MAP too (if I can get it away from my son). That pack has gone lots of places, with only a small tear in the top pocket and a lot of trail stains to show for it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:03:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For overnighters, I have a MAP too (if I can get it away from my son). That pack has gone lots of places, with only a small tear in the top pocket and a lot of trail stains to show for it.
View Quote
I'm really starting to like the look of that pack, though not a lot of reviews and I've only been able to find one vendor selling it (for $250).

Unfortunately job turned toxic, my out-of-work responsibilities are getting in the way of my planned Thanksgiving camping, and I just found out that my truck needs $1300 in work. Gaahhh...not a good couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm really starting to like the look of that pack, though not a lot of reviews and I've only been able to find one vendor selling it (for $250).

Unfortunately job turned toxic, my out-of-work responsibilities are getting in the way of my planned Thanksgiving camping, and I just found out that my truck needs $1300 in work. Gaahhh...not a good couple of weeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my MAP as a closeout or something, didn’t pay a ton for it. I’ve lived out of it for weekends in the boonies, carried it cross country on business trips, used it as a family carry-on, and many hunting/fishing/recreational weekenders. It’s a great size- larger than a dinky daypack, but smaller than a full size pack.  Really loaded down, it lacks a little stiffness, but (1) it’s an assault pack, not a ruck and (2) effective packing and/or a frame sheet can remedy this. The hydration pocket is the right size and I’ve used it several times. The ports are durable and well placed. I can honestly say I’ve beaten this pack like a rented mule and it’s still in great shape.  I’ve worn more expensive packs that weren’t as comfortable or well designed. Kelty really knows their stuff and for whatever reason their suspension systems just “fit” me well. This is especially true of the Falcon. I can stuff that sucker, carry it a long way and not feel like I’ve neen beaten half to death.

My older son confiscated my MAP because it holds tackle boxes very well and he can haul gear to fishing tournaments with it. I may never get it back, so I might have to look for a new one. In the interim I’ve used my London Bridge assault pack, which is also great.

NOTE: I tried to piggyback my MAP on the falcon once and it was a bad idea, but that’s mostly because it made me carry too much shit, plus it shifted the center of gravity too far from my core.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#38]
You can find a Granite Gear AC 58 for cheap.

I've had my VC 48 for a few years now and love it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can find a Granite Gear AC 58 for cheap.

I've had my VC 48 for a few years now and love it.

http://www.utahoutside.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/leopard58_front_etheral-682x1024.jpg
View Quote
How do those do with weight? In my area there's not a lot of water available, and water gets really heavy during the summer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How do those do with weight? In my area there's not a lot of water available, and water gets really heavy during the summer.
View Quote
I've loaded mine up with 20+ lbs, but my base weight is sub 15 lbs. They can handle 50+ lbs easily.

With a properly fitted belt, they handle weight very well. Osprey packs are also something to look into, but they are rarely on sale from what I've seen.

I typically carry 3-4 liters of water for drinking/cooking and a Sawyer Water Filter year round. It does have a bladder hanger, but I keep all of my water in 1L platypus bottles.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
to bring some life back to a dying thread...

Another positive vote for Eberlestock packs.

I have three different size packs from them and they are all great packs.

My Halftrack (2200 Cubic inch pack) has been around the world several times and is still my go-to bag when traveling.
The Operator (4700 cu in) is my deployment bag for work (has room for my M4 with a cover).
And I have a small Gunrunner (1400 cu in) for hunting/day trek either with or without a rifle.

My halftrack has seen the most use of any pack I have ever owned and I haven't had a single issue with it...ever. the fabric still looks like the day I got it (minus some dirt and stains), with no pulls, no fuzzy patches and no holes.

And they also stand behind their product with a lifetime warranty for defects or material failure.
View Quote
I have an Eberlestock Operator in addition to my Osprey Aether 70. No way I would recommend the Eberlestock for a backpacking pack. Way too heavy, way too floppy with no rifle, way too little adjustment, way too much pack for simple backpacking. I have it loaded with 50 pounds of precision rifle crap. It's perfect for that. For backpacking, get a backpacking pack.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Osprey with their All Mighty Guarantee warranty is hard to beat. I have an Osprey Atmos AG and Osprey Stratos and love them on long hikes and weekend camping trips.

Only thing is it's been a challenge setting up a load out with the pack's hip-belt (e.g. not much gear on my belt line), but the hip belts are worth it for balancing load and their suspension system are best.

I would recommend going to REI and spending an afternoon just trying on the packs with weight and walking around the store.

I personally hate military style back packs for this type of stuff for how heavy they are and balancing the weight sucks in comparison to actual backpacking packs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top