Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 12:56:53 PM EDT
I'd like to put 6x6 3A soft armor in my cummerbund instead of hard plates for comfort and fit reasons. However I'm having trouble finding any besides a whole glut of cheap no name brands or Chinese companies like vism and NC star.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
There's like a billion choices. AR500 armor makes some. So does Crye. And Cati Armor. And Tyr Tactical. There's also this guy on Ebay if you want to go cheapo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind that a 6x6 soft panel isn't going to do shit about backface deformation. The bullet will still likely wind up several inches into your gut, along with the soft panel. There isn't enough surface area to distribute the energy across the aramid threads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind that a 6x6 soft panel isn't going to do shit about backface deformation. The bullet will still likely wind up several inches into your gut, along with the soft panel. There isn't enough surface area to distribute the energy across the aramid threads.
View Quote
Hmmm, I would have never thought that. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
What PC do you have?  Does it have pockets in the cummerbund?

Might get better responses if we knew what you were trying to fit.

I have 8x6 plates in my cummerbund.  I don't see them on the Midwest website anymore but I'm sure someone makes something similar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
A couple inches is better than all the way.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What PC do you have?  Does it have pockets in the cummerbund?

Might get better responses if we knew what you were trying to fit.

I have 8x6 plates in my cummerbund.  I don't see them on the Midwest website anymore but I'm sure someone makes something similar.
View Quote
I have a First Spear Strandhogg. The cummerbund can accommodate a 6x6 panel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have a First Spear Strandhogg. The cummerbund can accommodate a 6x6 panel.
View Quote
I bet it will accommodate larger side soft panels. Probably only 6x6 rifle plates.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#9]
To be a NIJ certified III panel the BFD in ballistic clay must be less than 44mm. This is as true for a 10x12 panel as a 6x6. The clay they use is designed to roughly simulate soft tissue, you have ribs which will add "structure" for lack of a better term to your body. While your ribs may break the bullet will not be a few inches deep as long as it's a round IIIa can stop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It will not be inches into your gut. It will penetrate zero but have some backface trauma. Which is not a large issue for anything but your liver. Your "gut" can take a lot more BFD than your chest or head. It is a non issue, like a lot of what you harp about armor wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top