Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag since I have this....

And a bunch more UCP stuff that I'd like green.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to take time to get pics.  But I just dyed a whole bunch of DCU pouches with a mix of two bottles apple green and one bottle dark.  Almost look just like a woodland/ERDL green.  I'll post pics as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:
For your specific (FL) application, and assuming brown vegetation/terrain to be uncommon, I'd suggest using straight Rit "Apple Green".  The reason for this is that doing so darkens the material the least, and also provides some green and contrasting pixilation.  Such contrast recedes the darker the dye used.  You can see the difference between the pouches dyed with straight Apple Green, and 4:1 Apple Green:Dark Green.  YMMV, of course.

BTW, short MALICE clips from Tactical Tailor can be used to replace the ALICE clips on the buttpack; removable and reusable.  I have come to loathe ALICE clips.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Tag since I have this....

https://i.imgur.com/KvtggXR.jpg

And a bunch more UCP stuff that I'd like green.
For your specific (FL) application, and assuming brown vegetation/terrain to be uncommon, I'd suggest using straight Rit "Apple Green".  The reason for this is that doing so darkens the material the least, and also provides some green and contrasting pixilation.  Such contrast recedes the darker the dye used.  You can see the difference between the pouches dyed with straight Apple Green, and 4:1 Apple Green:Dark Green.  YMMV, of course.

BTW, short MALICE clips from Tactical Tailor can be used to replace the ALICE clips on the buttpack; removable and reusable.  I have come to loathe ALICE clips.
10-4
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:00:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Just bought 6 ACU shirts. If they fit well, gonna probably do two with dark green, two with taupe and maybe two with the lighter green.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Be advised that my comments in this thread (with a few exceptions) are concerned with dyeing nylon field gear.  I've dyed a few ABU and ACU uniforms, with good (to me) results, but the main difference is that while using vinegar with field gear, one uses salt with nylon/cotton fabric, as found in uniforms.  Make certain to wash the uniforms with NON-Brightening detergent prior to dyeing.  Woolite is safe, and readily available.

Also, dyeing uniform fabric is different from dyeing nylon, where what you see is what you get.  Uniform fabrics always darken when wet, and this makes getting the right color much more difficult.  I strongly suggest having a thoroughly wetted uniform sample available for immediate comparison purposes, although I'm not certain that doing so will ensure you getting the exact color you want.

Good luck, and please post some pix.
View Quote
Will post pics once I get dyed and Im planning to aim for dark green like the first pic with the pouch. Will take it slow and if I want darker will go darker with a second dip. Did you have any shrinkage? Maybe use less hot of water.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCPigpen] [#9]
Upc  camo after some emerald green and brown rit dye. Also one desert camo ifak dyed as well

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Going by pic, is that what you wanted?
View Quote
If you are talking to, sort of.
I just wanted something that would blend better with my ao. It's not exactly what I'd want but better than ucp. And was only about 30 bucks for the ifv and assorted pouches.
The difference in color could be attributed to different material of each peice or I let one batch cook in the pot longer than the other.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have experience with Old Grouch surplus? I ordered 6 shirts from them and no contact from them besides the auto generated reciept email. Sent an email today no answer will try and call tommorrow.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes, I was speaking to you.  Please try to stay away from Rit Brown dye when dyeing nylon field gear.  It might be fine for all-cotton cloth, but with Nylon field gear, a lot of red shows up.  Looks like the emerald green you used toned down the red a bit, so the stuff looks good, compared to the "Martian-red" nylon gear I've seen.
View Quote
I didn't know that, about the brown.
I just guessed and got lucky.
Been thinking about making another set for AK since you can get the ucp so cheap so I'll have to remember.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody tried dyeing MARPAT Desert?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
How about dying desert stuff green?

I love Tiger Stripe, but it's dark for my area.
I'm considering getting some desert Tigers and rit dying green.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:56:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#20]
ACU dyed with black Rit. Turned out navy and foliage green (the buckles and mesh didn't change color).

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 11:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#22]

Non-GI nylon material takes the dye in unexpected ways.  If that was a GI Assault Pack, the outcome might well have been different.  The plastic buckles will accept a little of the dye; almost not enough to notice except of compared side-by-side with an undyed buckle.

I don't know if that's your desired outcome, but I've seen much worse for sale in stores, and almost anything is better than UCP.
View Quote
I think it looks fantastic. I was hoping for all black but navy and foliage look great together. If I couldn't get all black this is a great second option.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
" />

" />

" />

" />

I RIT dyed this ACU web gear and Boony hat with Dark Forest Green RIT. The color is more olive with a very slight hint of blue but over all it looks good in person. The pics do not show the actual color.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote
Looks good. I think I'll try that color out.

I just got an acu/ucp field jacket that's like new, for free.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Any formula for dyeing UCP ranger green?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#28]
What happens if ACU uniform items are soaked in bleach for a few days? How light does it make the pattern?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like ill have to buy some bleach and give it a shot.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#31]
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#33]
Figured I’d add to this.  Was going for something Ranger Greenish.  LBT 6094, started off as ABU pattern.

Used about 3-4 gallons of water, 3 bottles of Rit Dye (liquid, synthetic mixture) Peacock Green, and 1/2 bottle Rit Dye (liquid) Dark Brown.  Sat the pan on an outdoor turkey fryer base, got it boiling, and let soak for 8 minutes (with regular stirring/churning).  I threw some pouches in for roughly 30 minutes first but they came out with a bluish tinge.

ETA:  The Velcro on the chest plate is a dark green, not black like the picture seems, but otherwise the colors are represented well, although a little bit more blue than they look in person..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#34]
@raf

What are your thoughts on taking multicam and adding black for “multicam black” or green for “multicam tropic”?

Also, have you tried getting ACU dyed to wolf grey?
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#36]
@raf - I skimmed through the thread, excellent work!  My question is what is the point of diminishing returns dying something black.  Specifically ACU patterned gear - if I don't care about maintaining a camouflauge pattern at all and instead just want to get close to all black, what's the longest leaving it submerged will help?  I saw the backpack above by another member (which looks pretty good to me) but didn't know if you had any experience in it, perhaps with dye fail jobs.  (edit: tracking on potential resale value, I think the ugliest camo pattern ever will have a great resale value one day lol!)
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]
This may sound dumb but has anyone dyed multicam?

I just ordered a British MTP? (Basically  multicam) and I'm worried it might not be green enough for the summer woods of the north east.

The idea of greening it cost my mind.

Keep in mind I need it to blend well for surveillance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I ordered some $20  ACU chest rigs to attempt the Rit treatment on.

TAG still has some cheap chest rigs and Molle pouches in ABU and ACU. Use code "STONE25" for an additional %25 off clearance.

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/sale.html
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Ceros_X:
@raf - I skimmed through the thread, excellent work!  My question is what is the point of diminishing returns dying something black.  Specifically ACU patterned gear - if I don't care about maintaining a camouflauge pattern at all and instead just want to get close to all black, what's the longest leaving it submerged will help?  I saw the backpack above by another member (which looks pretty good to me) but didn't know if you had any experience in it, perhaps with dye fail jobs.  (edit: tracking on potential resale value, I think the ugliest camo pattern ever will have a great resale value one day lol!)
View Quote
Just double-up on the amount of dye-per-weight of fabric, and follow suggestions on Rit site for dyeing your stuff  Probably use salt for fabric, instead of vinegar for nylon gear.  Read the instructions at the Rit site.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Below are 2ea $20 TAG ACU chest rigs.  I boiled about 4 Gal of water in my propane turkey fryer.  I transferred that to a plastic 5 Gal bucket and mixed in the full bottles pictured below of vinegar and Rit Dark Green.  I stirred them with a big ass 1 3/4" wrench and threw in the chest rig.  The padding from the chest rig straps wanted to float, so the wrench was used to keep everything sunk in the dye bath.  My intent was to keep some of the pixilation of the original pattern, so the chest rig only stayed in the dye bath for about 15 mins.  I pulled it out an rinsed it in another 5 Gal bucket of fresh water.  The end result is pictured below.

Link Posted: 8/1/2019 8:30:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#41]
Originally Posted By PirateEC:
Below are 2ea $20 TAG ACU chest rigs.  I boiled about 4 Gal of water in my propane turkey fryer.  I transferred that to a plastic 5 Gal bucket and mixed in the full bottles pictured below of vinegar and Rit Dark Green.  I stirred them with a big ass 1 3/4" wrench and threw in the chest rig.  The padding from the chest rig straps wanted to float, so the wrench was used to keep everything sunk in the dye bath.  My intent was to keep some of the pixilation of the original pattern, so the chest rig only stayed in the dye bath for about 15 mins.  I pulled it out an rinsed it in another 5 Gal bucket of fresh water.  The end result is pictured below.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/8a93103ac4e91912a8abca142b8e3857/tumblr_pvd0t2P2Gf1tws180o1_1280.jpg

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a664f76e4b75f72be5c7042d7b731be2/tumblr_pvd0t2P2Gf1tws180o2_1280.jpg
View Quote
Not bad at all; nicely done.  Pixelation still visible.  Now, for the second one, try 1 part Dk Green to 4 part Apple Green, and see what you think.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the result. Post all the items for comparison, please.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Thread revival.

Anyone else dyeing ABU (USAF digital tiger stripe)? Would like to see more taupe results on nylon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I dyed some ABU fabric for an anorak prototype I am working on. I used a full bottle of Apple green with 4 yards of fabric using the washing machine method.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KNDAKGEAR:
I dyed some ABU fabric for an anorak prototype I am working on. I used a full bottle of Apple green with 4 yards of fabric using the washing machine method.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380176/IMG_9226_JPG-1218773.JPG
View Quote
That looks pretty good; a vast improvement over the original.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I really like it, both the color and the pattern.

If you're looking to sell that anorak, let me know, or your price for one.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Everything's fully dry.  Apologize for delay due to high humidity caused by a few days of rain/drizzle

Just finished dyeing some other stuff as well.

The idea for this dye job was to dial-in the process of using straight Rit Taupe dye on 3-color desert camo.
From the left, an SDS-made pack, small pouches for 1911 mags sold by Old Grouch for cheap,  http://store.oldgrouch.biz/sistpimapomo.html, a CB pop flare pouch from LBT which I plan to use as a carrier for a LifeStraw, some original and some dyed GI desert camo straps, and an undyed GI MOLLE 3-color Desert Camo radio pouch

The mag pouches were advertised as "color: Wheat/Coyote brown", and were practically yellow, which is actually the color of wheat.  Nice little items, dye up well enough, and are appear well-made.  Price is stupid cheap.  The horizontal compression straps on the face of the pack were added by me, and the webbing was surplus USMC Coyote Brown.  To the naked eye, the actual color of the dyed pack is almost indistinguishable from the CB compression straps.

Picture A
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69202

Picture B
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69201

Picture C
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69200
View Quote
Looks great, have you had any issues with corrosion on the metal parts?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AJ66TEXAS:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AJ66TEXAS:
Everything's fully dry.  Apologize for delay due to high humidity caused by a few days of rain/drizzle

Just finished dyeing some other stuff as well.

The idea for this dye job was to dial-in the process of using straight Rit Taupe dye on 3-color desert camo.
From the left, an SDS-made pack, small pouches for 1911 mags sold by Old Grouch for cheap,  http://store.oldgrouch.biz/sistpimapomo.html, a CB pop flare pouch from LBT which I plan to use as a carrier for a LifeStraw, some original and some dyed GI desert camo straps, and an undyed GI MOLLE 3-color Desert Camo radio pouch

The mag pouches were advertised as "color: Wheat/Coyote brown", and were practically yellow, which is actually the color of wheat.  Nice little items, dye up well enough, and are appear well-made.  Price is stupid cheap.  The horizontal compression straps on the face of the pack were added by me, and the webbing was surplus USMC Coyote Brown.  To the naked eye, the actual color of the dyed pack is almost indistinguishable from the CB compression straps.

Picture A
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69202

Picture B
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69201

Picture C
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=69200
None whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#48]
As promised, some more dyeing pix, including brown.
Pic 5) Paraclete UCP chest rig below, dyed with two parts Rit Tan and one part Rit Black.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=67326
View Quote

I really like this color. I would really like to try this on a few things. I think it would blend in well with a mix of other gear that I have. It would look great maybe on the chest area as well.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Has anyone tried this color -

Moss Green
3/4 cup Apple Green
10 Tbs Dark Green
1/2 Cup Dark Brown

I looked it up on Rit's website.

Also when you guys are talking about 4 parts to 1 parts. Are you saying Tbs or Tsp? I don't have a bottle in front of me to look at. I'm waiting for some dye to show up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 4:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#50]
Originally Posted By OlympicArmsFan:
Has anyone tried this color -

Moss Green
3/4 cup Apple Green
10 Tbs Dark Green
1/2 Cup Dark Brown

I looked it up on Rit's website.

Also when you guys are talking about 4 parts to 1 parts. Are you saying Tbs or Tsp? I don't have a bottle in front of me to look at. I'm waiting for some dye to show up.
View Quote

In my posts, saying "4:1"means just that.  It's a proportion,  Use identical measure for both dyes, as long as they are of the same type--that being liquid or powder.

However, powdered Rit dyes are of a different concentration than Rit liquid dyes.  Not teasing you, but all this is contained in my original thread.

Many Congrats on trying to learn.  Re-read the original thread, and you will discover the difference between liquid and powdered Rit dyes.

No, I'm NOT trying to be a jackass.  Just suggesting you re-read, carefully.  It's all there.

If I dump something in your lap, you have learned nothing.  If you have to do some digging/learning, than such will stick with you; You have learned something.

Go do some learning, and become the current-day guru.  The pathway is open to you.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top