Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nipster74:

I think raf is right. A dark almost black could be obtained.

I've had really good luck just leaving items in the bucket, weighted down so they don't float, for an hour of so. If I ever get around to it I'll post some photos of stuff I've dyed.

That being said, ILBE and Molle Packs are super dirt cheap and you could probably save yourself the hassle of messing with dye.

View Quote

I may still give it a go. I was planning to use an oyster roaster instead of a washing machine; prep the fabric real good with white vinegar, get the pot good and hot, add the dye and let it simmer for an hour or so... This pack is irreplaceable; super simple, perfect size, and excellent quality and comfort. It's a legendary pack among climbers so I'm keeping it.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:

I may still give it a go. I was planning to use an oyster roaster instead of a washing machine; prep the fabric real good with white vinegar, get the pot good and hot, add the dye and let it simmer for an hour or so... This pack is irreplaceable; super simple, perfect size, and excellent quality and comfort. It's a legendary pack among climbers so I'm keeping it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've had really good luck just leaving items in the bucket, weighted down so they don't float, for an hour of so. If I ever get around to it I'll post some photos of stuff I've dyed.

That being said, ILBE and Molle Packs are super dirt cheap and you could probably save yourself the hassle of messing with dye.

I'd been using the sink method for awhile and had gotten some good results but my last batch I did was done with the bucket method.

I put a couple of pots of water on and got them to almost boiling then poured them into the bucket added the dye and topped it out with hot tap water.  Stuck my gear in and used a piece of PVC pipe to stir it around for about 1/2 hour then I just let it all sit for about an hour submerged in the solution.

I was dying DCU and coyote brown with dark green and it came out pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]

I'd been using the sink method for awhile and had gotten some good results but my last batch I did was done with the bucket method.

I put a couple of pots of water on and got them to almost boiling then poured them into the bucket added the dye and topped it out with hot tap water.  Stuck my gear in and used a piece of PVC pipe to stir it around for about 1/2 hour then I just let it all sit for about an hour submerged in the solution.

View All Quotes

Pics of DCU rit dyed green?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to get some pix up and posted.

But til then, my DCU MSS carrier was dyed twice in the sink for about 1/2 hour each. Never was satisfied with the color. Then I did a third go round with the bucket method. After agitation, I left it sitting in the solution for about an hour.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is photo of some Molle DCU pattern shoulder straps and waist belt that I dyed with the RIT product. I went to the local craft store and bought some pre dye conditioner and used it with the dye. I placed the items in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water with the dye as directed. I left it in for about 45 minutes until I got the desired results.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I never really thought about RIT on gear but I used it on a Glock one time.

I could not stand that ceracoat green or whatever it was so off to the sand blaster I went. Plain old rit black.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:22:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#8]
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:44:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:04:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Will] [#12]
Several years ago we had a great thread on dying the Desert FLC's. I did one that turned out pretty well, darker, covered in grenade pouches for my Garands.

I am thinking about doing an ACU coat- which I like as a field garment, cheap and very practical...... Here's my thought though- when I did my FLC I learned that if the material is not well exposed to the dye (I had a strap that was rolled on itself and it didn't change at all) that you will not get even coverage....That "accident"  gave me an idea...Could I do a "tye die" type camo pattern using different colors, dying each one separately, by tying the jacket in knots? Would this give me something like the ATACS pattern?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Will:
Several years ago we had a great thread on dying the Desert FLC's. I did one that turned out pretty well, darker, covered in grenade pouches for my Garands.

I am thinking about doing an ACU coat- which I like as a field garment, cheap and very practical...... Here's my thought though- when I did my FLC I learned that if the material is not well exposed to the dye (I had a strap that was rolled on itself and it didn't change at all) that you will not get even coverage....That "accident"  gave me an idea...Could I do a "tye die" type camo pattern using different colors, dying each one separately, by tying the jacket in knots? Would this give me something like the ATACS pattern?

Thoughts?
View Quote

That is a great idea. Perhaps dye the entire garment with a green shade and then tie dye it with a brown.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By raf:
The Rit site has a lot of suggestion and instructions about tie-dying.  I have no experience with doing so, but I would begin by reading-up there, and then doing some test items.  Remember that you will not be dyeing nylon-only field gear, but clothing containing a fair amount of cotton.  One difference is that instead of adding vinegar to the nylon-dyeing solution, one would add salt.  Another difference is that unlike nylon gear, where what you see is what you get, cotton-based clothing usually comes from the dye bath much darker than after it has dried.  Have a wet sample of what you are dyeing to act as a guide of sorts.

Read up FIRST..
View Quote

I guess since it's my idea, I'll give it a try. It will take me awhile as my free time is pretty limited right now. What suggestions for colors? The Apple and Taupe? Or, since I'm doing cotton mix should I go with a darker brown? When I did my FLC I used salt to "set" the dye, it worked pretty well.

I hope it works as I really like the Combat Jackets, lots of pockets and just the right weight for much of Texas weather in the fall with a T shirt under them.......You can buy them all day long on Ebay for under $15.....that's a lot cheaper than a Massif Combat Shirt at $60......A pretty good value.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#17]

I'd suggest 4 parts apple green to 1 part dark green for a "grass-green" color, and taupe for any sort of brown.  I'm very leery of using any of Rit's browns because of the reddish color that usually results.  The apple green, dk green, and taupe have all worked well on nylon gear, and the browns have NOT.  In addition, I have used Rit Apple Green, Dk Green, and Taupe on ACUs with good results.  Use enough dye.  Follow the instructions on Rit site about weighing the items, and use the recommended amount of dye, or maybe a little more.  Since you will probably be using HOT water, make sure that the items are large enough to accommodate some shrinking.  Please post your results.
However, you are dyeing cotton-based material, so it is possible that some of Rit's browns will work OK with that medium.  Remember, you can always re-dye if the result is too light, but you can't go lighter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Will:
The Rit site has a lot of suggestion and instructions about tie-dying.  I have no experience with doing so, but I would begin by reading-up there, and then doing some test items.  Remember that you will not be dyeing nylon-only field gear, but clothing containing a fair amount of cotton.  One difference is that instead of adding vinegar to the nylon-dyeing solution, one would add salt.  Another difference is that unlike nylon gear, where what you see is what you get, cotton-based clothing usually comes from the dye bath much darker than after it has dried.  Have a wet sample of what you are dyeing to act as a guide of sorts.

Read up FIRST..

I guess since it's my idea, I'll give it a try. It will take me awhile as my free time is pretty limited right now. What suggestions for colors? The Apple and Taupe? Or, since I'm doing cotton mix should I go with a darker brown? When I did my FLC I used salt to "set" the dye, it worked pretty well.

I hope it works as I really like the Combat Jackets, lots of pockets and just the right weight for much of Texas weather in the fall with a T shirt under them.......You can buy them all day long on Ebay for under $15.....that's a lot cheaper than a Massif Combat Shirt at $60......A pretty good value.

I'd suggest 4 parts apple green to 1 part dark green for a "grass-green" color, and taupe for any sort of brown.  I'm very leery of using any of Rit's browns because of the reddish color that usually results.  The apple green, dk green, and taupe have all worked well on nylon gear, and the browns have NOT.  In addition, I have used Rit Apple Green, Dk Green, and Taupe on ACUs with good results.  Use enough dye.  Follow the instructions on Rit site about weighing the items, and use the recommended amount of dye, or maybe a little more.  Since you will probably be using HOT water, make sure that the items are large enough to accommodate some shrinking.  Please post your results.
However, you are dyeing cotton-based material, so it is possible that some of Rit's browns will work OK with that medium.  Remember, you can always re-dye if the result is too light, but you can't go lighter.

Definitely hot water, I used a fish cooker in the driveway and poured the boiling water into a 5 gallon pail with the dye and FLC when I did it. Worked well.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Swiss M83 Fruity pajamas original on right, dyed on left

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: primuspilum] [#19]
Massif combat shirt, sort of UCP Delta ish  (ETA reposted 6/22/19)

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: primuspilum] [#20]
British surplus desert combat shirts.  Both dyed, compared to DCU camo  (ETA reposted 6/22/19)

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:17:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: primuspilum] [#21]
GI Massif combat shirt formerly UCP, now Dark Green and black 50/50 mix Irrc (reposted 6/22/19)

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: primuspilum] [#22]
Army issue UCP pattern ACU pants  2 parts pearl gray 1 part dark green (ETA reposted 6/22/19)

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Going to pull the trigger on this, but I am worried about putting pants into boiling water and having them shrink? DannerDrax
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:04:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By primuspilum:
GI Massif combat shirt formerly UCP, now Dark Green and black 50/50 mix Irrc

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy309/toecutter_01/bdu%20updates%201/004.jpg

View Quote

Damn, that shirt turned out great !
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tacklenut:
Here is photo of some Molle DCU pattern shoulder straps and waist belt that I dyed with the RIT product. I went to the local craft store and bought some pre dye conditioner and used it with the dye. I placed the items in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water with the dye as directed. I left it in for about 45 minutes until I got the desired results.

<a href="http://s672.photobucket.com/user/Victor23_photos/media/Alicemolledyed.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv88/Victor23_photos/Alicemolledyed.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice, sorta looks like LBT's MAS Grey gear.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Anybody try this yet?

https://www.ritstudio.com/2015/04/15/announcing-rit-dyemore-rits-new-polyester-dye/

I want a uniform shirt carrier, but can't afford a new one. Thinking about buying a light blue one cheap an dying it midnight blue / black.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Finally decided to dye my camelbak motherlode from foliage green to OD, and for whatever reason, it turned out foliage green . The dye just didn't take to the nylon at all.

Next experiment will be spray paint I suppose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By csrevenant:
Finally decided to dye my camelbak motherlode from foliage green to OD, and for whatever reason, it turned out foliage green . The dye just didn't take to the nylon at all.

Next experiment will be spray paint I suppose.
View Quote

Did you add vinegar??
I've always had good luck dyeing nylon gear. But usually it's either desert or coyote to a green shade.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By raf:  It is possible that your pack was treated with DWR, which would serve to inhibit dye absorption.  I don't know how to remove that except by washing thenpack in some sort of water with a solvent that removed the DWR.  Dunno what that might be, but I would try some sort of dish soap without the brighteners that are so often found in clothing detergents.
View Quote

Perhaps drycleaning would remove the DWR?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Hmmmmn.  Might be a good idea.  As long as the cleaning agent is OK for nylon.  Older ear is likely to have the DWR worn-off by use/age.  Newer high-end gear might need to have DWR removed before the dye will take.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By raf:  It is possible that your pack was treated with DWR, which would serve to inhibit dye absorption.  I don't know how to remove that except by washing thenpack in some sort of water with a solvent that removed the DWR.  Dunno what that might be, but I would try some sort of dish soap without the brighteners that are so often found in clothing detergents.

Perhaps drycleaning would remove the DWR?

Hmmmmn.  Might be a good idea.  As long as the cleaning agent is OK for nylon.  Older ear is likely to have the DWR worn-off by use/age.  Newer high-end gear might need to have DWR removed before the dye will take.

I've considered drycleaning for my FRACUs, to remove the permethrin - I figure that can't be good for you, but I've not run out of ACUs to wear yet.  I only wear my FRACUs when I fly.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd mix a little black with green to deepen the color a little. Not too much black as it is very heavy. Start with a little and go from there, trial and error unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone with dyed ucp have a pvs14 to take pics with at night?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:
View Quote

I think someone on here has NVG photos. I'm not sure who or if it was UCP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Rit Dye does not have any brightening effect when viewed with NVDs.  There are, or at least were, threads in the NV forum about this.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Caeser2001:

Rit Dye does not have any brightening effect when viewed with NVDs.  There are, or at least were, threads in the NV forum about this.

I knew I'd seen them somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:48:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M3G4L17H] [#39]
Any dye suggestions for those of us in the southern US that live in a deciduous pine forest? I picked up a LBT 1961 in ABU off of eBay and it's too light (the color I mean).
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#40]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:15:21 AM EDT
[#41]
There's plenty of pix in my posts showing the results of Army Universal Camo being dyed.  It's a bit lighter than ABU to begin with, but the results ought to be similar, with dyed ABU being a bit darker than the AUC, all things being equal.

I'd get a couple of ABU pouches and test dye them before dyeing the vest.
View Quote

Thank ya sir!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#43]
raf - I recently bought some Magpul 20 rounders in "Sand" color, which is to say, WHITE, LOL. Planning on dying these along with some other 3-color desert gear in this thread. Do you see any issue with how you would prep the dye solution? I'd like to do the mags, then the soft gear...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Just a tip about colors if you are planning to hunt deer.

Deer can see blues, violets, and greys really well, to the point that they will stick out drastically to them.

They have 310° field of view in the same focal plane, and are very good at detecting movement.

If you have any grey in your camp, it shines like UV blue to them, and you'll get burned.

What Whitetails Can Really See
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Any success with dyeing gray gear black?  First thought would be that it should work fine since black is, well black.  But not sure if colors would somehow become a dark gray or other color.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#50]
I’m not at home to add a picture, but I dyed a wolf gray pouch black. The zipper still stayed gray. As far as looks, it’s a nice contrast. I used two bottles of black RIT dye. It definitely took the color well.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top