Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you tried dyeing any DCU items with the RIT green apple or dark green?  I have a desert DPM smock that I want to dye.  Hoping for a greenish color.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:

If you want to go that route, then applying the desired paint (in the form of a dusting of spray paint) is probably the route to go..Never tried to apply a radically different color of dye over a base color.  I believe there might be problems with the second application running and thus diluting before much effect could take place.

I'll probably have quite a sale some day.  The various pix shown in this thread are just dying projects; A very small fraction of what I currently have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheMountaineer:
Thanks for putting in all this work, raf.

Have you tried to go back over something you've already dyed green with taupe or some other dye to try to make it
brown?  I'm wondering if you could get it the shade of green you like then kind of do a tie-dye with brown to get a
woodland-like camo...

If you want to go that route, then applying the desired paint (in the form of a dusting of spray paint) is probably the route to go..Never tried to apply a radically different color of dye over a base color.  I believe there might be problems with the second application running and thus diluting before much effect could take place.

(Also just out of curiosity, do you actually use all these pouches or just use them as cheap sacrificial material to
experiment on?)

I'll probably have quite a sale some day.  The various pix shown in this thread are just dying projects; A very small fraction of what I currently have.

Ahhh, I didn't think about the effects of going back over something washing out the original dye job.  I have no experience
with Rit Dye...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged

Going to attempt to dye a khaki tan M4 mag pouch to coyote brown.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you hit a home run with that rack and the zipper TT pouches as that is the best green I have seen anywhere. To my eye the colors look very similar to Cadpat.
Thanks for doing all the research for the rest of us raf. I have a roll of Air Force tigerstripe material that I will try this out on. I thought I could make some cool clothing items from it after a proper dye job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
OK, I don't want to clutter up the forum, but I'm not sure this is quite the right place. But I'm a little short on ideas here.

I have this repro tiger-stripe clothing:

Pretty obviously, the boonie hat (at right, atop the M1956 canteen cover) is a much more brownish overall shade than the trousers on the left.

Here's an attempt to get it in better light:

(as an aside, I can see now what raf means when he describes colors as looking different in person than in photos--the difference is much more stark to my eye than my potato-cam phone )

I'm hoping to use a little dye bath to get the contrast down a bit. They don't have to match, nor be perfect, but I'd like to think they didn't vary this wildly among supposedly identical-pattern garments. I happen to have some Rit Taupe (liquid) and some Tan (powder) that I'm debating using on the lighter garments to try and get them a little more subdued-brownish like the hat.

I guess I'm kinda hoping for confirmation or negation of the idea, or a better suggestion from someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Oh, and so far as I know they're all cotton fabric, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
I'm hoping to use a little dye bath to get the contrast down a bit. They don't have to match, nor be perfect, but I'd like to think they didn't vary this wildly among supposedly identical-pattern garments. I happen to have some Rit Taupe (liquid) and some Tan (powder) that I'm debating using on the lighter garments to try and get them a little more subdued-brownish like the hat.

I guess I'm kinda hoping for confirmation or negation of the idea, or a better suggestion from someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Oh, and so far as I know they're all cotton fabric, so that shouldn't be a problem.
View Quote

I think I'd go with the Tan powder first. I think it will dye lighter than the Taupe. Then if you decide it's not what you want you can always go darker with the Taupe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:05:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RifleCal30m1n00b] [#10]

I don't think I would do anything.  There are often variations in shading in different lots of camo material.  If a guy in Vietnam had to replace a part of his tigerstripes, it would often be of a slightly different shade.  But YMMV.

If you dye the tiger stripes, the first thing to accept the tan will be the lightest areas, which will accept more of the color than the darker areas.  In short, they will look a lot different than they now do.  that might be what you want, but just saying.

I would definitely caution against using Rit Tan or any of the Rit Browns on nylon field gear, because of the reddish tint that results.  OK if you're going to Mars, but not so good anywhere else.  I use Taupe exclusively on nylon field gear.

You are dyeing cotton cloth, and that is a different proposition; perhaps the red will not come through as much as it most definitely does on pure nylon stuff.  FWIW, the very hot water used in the dyeing process might shrink the material.

In short, do nothing.  The variation of the items is authentic, if that matters to you.

If you insist on dyeing the lighter item (and nothing wrong with that), I suggest you find out the suggested amount of dye for the weight of the fabric, and cut it in half.  I'd use Rit Taupe, since you want to make the white areas more brown.  Be advised that it's hard to judge when cotton stuff is done dyeing to a particular shade, because the material gets a lot darker when wet.  So, as a preliminary, I would get the material soaked, and take some pix of it so that you can remember how dark it gets when wet with straight water only.  That might help you guesstimate when to yank it out of the dye solution.  I don't think you'll need to leave it in the dye bath very long, so practice immersing it, turning it over a few times, and then pulling it out quickly.  do this prep work before you dye it.

As I say, I am NO expert on dyeing cotton material, so do some reading at the Rit site, and practice.  Good luck, and report back.  I find pix taken in the shade, with no flash usually come out fairly normal color-wise.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RifleCal30m1n00b:
OK, I don't want to clutter up the forum, but I'm not sure this is quite the right place. But I'm a little short on ideas here.

I have this repro tiger-stripe clothing:
<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1Guy/media/Gear%20et%20cetera/2014-08-29020216.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/2014-08-29020216.jpg</a>

Pretty obviously, the boonie hat (at right, atop the M1956 canteen cover) is a much more brownish overall shade than the trousers on the left.

Here's an attempt to get it in better light:
<a href="http://s104.photobucket.com/user/Cal30M1Guy/media/Gear%20et%20cetera/2014-08-29020040.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Cal30M1Guy/Gear%20et%20cetera/2014-08-29020040.jpg</a>

(as an aside, I can see now what raf means when he describes colors as looking different in person than in photos--the difference is much more stark to my eye than my potato-cam phone )

I don't think I would do anything.  There are often variations in shading in different lots of camo material.  If a guy in Vietnam had to replace a part of his tigerstripes, it would often be of a slightly different shade.  But YMMV.

If you dye the tiger stripes, the first thing to accept the tan will be the lightest areas, which will accept more of the color than the darker areas.  In short, they will look a lot different than they now do.  that might be what you want, but just saying.

I would definitely caution against using Rit Tan or any of the Rit Browns on nylon field gear, because of the reddish tint that results.  OK if you're going to Mars, but not so good anywhere else.  I use Taupe exclusively on nylon field gear.

You are dyeing cotton cloth, and that is a different proposition; perhaps the red will not come through as much as it most definitely does on pure nylon stuff.  FWIW, the very hot water used in the dyeing process might shrink the material.

In short, do nothing.  The variation of the items is authentic, if that matters to you.

If you insist on dyeing the lighter item (and nothing wrong with that), I suggest you find out the suggested amount of dye for the weight of the fabric, and cut it in half.  I'd use Rit Taupe, since you want to make the white areas more brown.  Be advised that it's hard to judge when cotton stuff is done dyeing to a particular shade, because the material gets a lot darker when wet.  So, as a preliminary, I would get the material soaked, and take some pix of it so that you can remember how dark it gets when wet with straight water only.  That might help you guesstimate when to yank it out of the dye solution.  I don't think you'll need to leave it in the dye bath very long, so practice immersing it, turning it over a few times, and then pulling it out quickly.  do this prep work before you dye it.

As I say, I am NO expert on dyeing cotton material, so do some reading at the Rit site, and practice.  Good luck, and report back.  I find pix taken in the shade, with no flash usually come out fairly normal color-wise.

Yes, the possibility of things coming out with a reddish tinge did worry me.
Perhaps I'll try the diluted Taupe. That was one of my first thoughts.

And I hadn't even thought of wetting everything first to set a baseline. Thanks much for all the input.

ETA: And the doing-nothing definitely appeals to one side of me!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:22:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HermanSnerd] [#11]
My first attempt at making USMC Coyote brown using Rit dye today ended up a dismal failure.

I went to the Rit web site and looked through their archive of color formulas here:

https://www.ritstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf

I went through all of the colors with a few pieces of Eagle coyote gear in hand and found what to my eyes looked like the perfect color match for coyote.

It is on page 29 of the archive color pdf and is the last one in the fourth row titled Yellow 3  #359

The formula is 1tbsp Kelly Green, 1 tsp Cocoa brown, and 1 cup water.

I mixed up the 3 to 1 ratio of Kelly Green to Cocoa brown with 1 cup of vinegar and approx. 3 gallons of water in a large stockpot, and the result was..........

the most god-awful royal purple you could ever imagine!

I am normally pretty impatient, but today, the gear gods smiled on me and gave me a little extra patience.

I was inspired to use cotton cleaning patches as swatch samples to test my color, so no molle gear was harmed during this fabulously colorful clusterfuck.

I tried mixing in more green and adding more water to dilute the dye, but I still got purple.

Luckily I didn't spill any in the wife's kitchen or manage to turn the dog or myself purple in the process, so I am just out $10 bucks and two hours of my long weekend.

Using rit dye to get coyote brown is not as simple as I thought it was going to be.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:  My first attempt at making USMC Coyote brown using Rit dye today ended up a dismal failure.

I went to the Rit web site and looked through their archive of color formulas here:

I went through all of the colors with a few pieces of Eagle coyote gear in hand and found what to my eyes looked like the perfect color match for coyote.

It is on page 29 of the archive color pdf and is the last one in the fourth row titled Yellow 3  #359

I mixed up the 3 to 1 ratio of Kelly Green to Cocoa brown with 1 cup of vinegar and approx. 3 gallons of water in a large stockpot, and the result was..........

I am normally pretty impatient, but today, the gear gods smiled on me and gave me a little extra patience.

I was inspired to use cotton cleaning patches as swatch samples to test my color, so no molle gear was harmed during this fabulously colorful clusterfuck.

I tried mixing in more green and adding more water to dilute the dye, but I still got purple.

Luckily I didn't spill any in the wife's kitchen or manage to turn the dog or myself purple in the process, so I am just out $10 bucks and two hours of my long weekend.

Using rit dye to get coyote brown is not as simple as I thought it was going to be.

View Quote

The Right Reverend Bishop Snerd?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HermanSnerd:  My first attempt at making USMC Coyote brown using Rit dye today ended up a dismal failure.

Man, if I had a white suit, I could have dyed that sucker purple, and been the coolest looking pimp in Memphis on Saturday night,
and then wore the same suit to an inner city church on sunday and worked up a sweat in the pulpit!

Can I get an Amen!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Amen!
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:25:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morg308] [#16]
raf - I really dig the color of the apple green mix on the DCU, particularly the radio pouch. I also like the brown (taupe) radio pouch. My question is, which do you think is closer to regular WWII khaki? (The 'original FDE' LOL. I have no problem with it being slightly different, in fact the German did this quite often. I had a gebirgsjager pack whose pockets were a darker green than the main bag, and I've seen enough similar to believe it was done on purpose and not just a happy accident. At distance I think the slightly different color pouches might be an advantage. Great thread BTW.

ETA: I see 3 pouches that are a really nice brown - one is a waist bag. Did you use taupe for those, and if so, for how long? That may be the perfect color or here in the transitional desert. I still like the apple green though. I also was thinking about just dying an ACU FLC with black dye for a black shotgun setup, but I am rethinking it after seeing the great dark brown FLC on page 1. (Shenanagins FLC)
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#18]
I think this is the best color combo for me....

Looks great.

What are the instructions for that color?

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I must be a dyetard.

I'm color blind, so I thought I start off simple. An old, white, cotton soft armor carrier.

I wanted it to make it dark green. (There was none available so I got kelly green and black.) Used the whole box of green powder and about 1/2 the black. The color looked good.

Did the stove-top method, kept it in the dye for a little over 20 minutes, constantly stirring. (After 10 minutes it didn't seem to get any darker.)

Drained it, wrung it out and then rinsed with cold water. It was a deep, dark green. After it sat for an hour, tossed it in the washer and it came out with a light green hue.

What did I do wrong? Rinse too quickly? Wash too quickly? Both?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Raf,

Where are finding Apple Green? I've checked all the big box stores and several craft stores locally (N Fla) and can't find it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#23]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#24]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow! I really like how the 3 color desert camo came out! I really like how its a deep/darker brown.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the waist pack (brown) in pic 12 and the radio bag in pic 14. Did you use taupe for the waist pack? Apple green for the other? How long did you keep them immersed?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:12:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#27]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks raf! Great thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#30]

No salt added when dyeing cotton as per instructions on Rit site?

For one thing, cotton always looks darker when dyed a dark color, and when wet.  It's not easy to dye to a pre-determined darkness  with cotton.  To do that, you need to experiment.  What I would suggest is to re-dye with dark green dye, doubling the amount required for your given weight of fabric.  Wet the cloth first, in order to get a baseline on how dark the cloth looks when wet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stevil1300:
I must be a dyetard.
-snip-
What did I do wrong? Rinse too quickly? Wash too quickly? Both?

No salt added when dyeing cotton as per instructions on Rit site?

For one thing, cotton always looks darker when dyed a dark color, and when wet.  It's not easy to dye to a pre-determined darkness  with cotton.  To do that, you need to experiment.  What I would suggest is to re-dye with dark green dye, doubling the amount required for your given weight of fabric.  Wet the cloth first, in order to get a baseline on how dark the cloth looks when wet.

Didn't notice the "no salt" for cottons. Reading the instructions always helps!!
I will follow your advice and get dark green and double up on the dye.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Read Rit instructions first, before re-dyeing.  IIRC, salt is added when dyeing cotton.
View Quote

Will do. I used salt the first time, I'll check their site before I do it again. (It was a pretty easy process.)

I think the issue was I didn't leave it in long enough as well as have the color dark enough.

The good thing is I can try again.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I ordered some taupe Rit dye, and will try again when it comes in.

Wish me luck.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I just did a Desert Molle MSS carrier with dark green rit dye.  Dyed it once and it didn't come out as dark I was wanted. Gave it another go last night and it looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:02:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By nipster74:
I just did a Desert Molle MSS carrier with dark green rit dye.  Dyed it once and it didn't come out as dark I was wanted. Gave it another go last night and it looks pretty good.
View Quote

Pics or it didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:04:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nipster74] [#36]
Originally Posted By Morg308:

View All Quotes

You're going to make me open up a photo account just to prove it?

OK. I guess I could do it... But I'm not taking a pic of my feet!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

In this thread, your feet MUST be dyed the same color as the gear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#38]
UCP died in RIT dark green is my new favorite cammo pattern (that and USMC desert died the same way)

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Damn, and I just got all the dye out from under my fingertips!!!

Kinda off topic, but has anyone ever dyed any old canvas gear? I've got an M-14 pouch I've had since '93 that looks pretty ratty.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been watching this thread, and had wondered how RIT affects the IR reflectiveness. So, I went and did some GOOGLEing, and found this thread, if anybody was wondering.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=417911

For the TL/DR crowd, it would seem that RIT doesn't affect the IR properties.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Currahee] [#41]
Originally Posted By FLATFOOT762:
I've been watching this thread, and had wondered how RIT affects the IR reflectiveness. So, I went and did some GOOGLEing, and found this thread, if anybody was wondering.

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=417911

For the TL/DR crowd, it would seem that RIT doesn't affect the IR properties.
View Quote

I am wearing RIT died ACU and USMC desert in this video

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:22:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#42]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll be interested to see how it came out.

Like I posted earlier, I've done a MSS carrier with Dark Green and Black.  Did a third go round and left in about an hour and I'm really happy with the results.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#45]
That apple rit dye on page 2 looks great. I'll have to find some and try it out on a ucp pattern I have laying around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTUtah] [#47]
Probably one of the best packs I've ever had. Super old-school rig that I had all the way back in Scouts and High Adventure. Not wild about the red so I wanna subdue it but I'm not sure if I wanna go 100% black unless it's my only option.

What color(s) should I try? If I could get the red dyed to FDE or taupe, or even a Wolf-grey, that would be ideal.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Forget about lighter earth tones, as it's impossible to dye lighter than the base color.

IMHO, and no experience in dyeing original red, my suggestion is to double-up on the required amount of Black dye, and be satisfied if you get at least a dark maroon.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

Probably one of the best packs I've ever had. Super old-school rig that I had all the way back in Scouts and High Adventure. Not wild about the red so I wanna subdue it but I'm not sure if I wanna go 100% black unless it's my only option.

What color(s) should I try? If I could get the red dyed to FDE or taupe, or even a Wolf-grey, that would be ideal.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/RTUtah/pack_zpsea4a33dd.jpg  

Forget about lighter earth tones, as it's impossible to dye lighter than the base color.

IMHO, and no experience in dyeing original red, my suggestion is to double-up on the required amount of Black dye, and be satisfied if you get at least a dark maroon.

Shit in that case, I'm leaving it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I think raf is right. A dark almost black could be obtained.

I've had really good luck just leaving items in the bucket, weighted down so they don't float, for an hour of so. If I ever get around to it I'll post some photos of stuff I've dyed.

That being said, ILBE and Molle Packs are super dirt cheap and you could probably save yourself the hassle of messing with dye.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top