Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2013 1:55:10 PM EDT
Anybody make pants or t-shirts in kryptek mandrake besides vertek? Thats the only brand I can find, I love the pattern but would rather not spend $100 on a pair of pants.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody make pants or t-shirts in kryptek mandrake besides vertek? Thats the only brand I can find, I love the pattern but would rather not spend $100 on a pair of pants.

then you're SOL
That's how this game works unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple solution. Don't wear that shit!
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol, still riding the hate train?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll probably end up getting them anyway, I was just hoping I could find a different brand or something cheaper
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Get 40% off with 3GNSAVE40 on Vertex's website.

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still riding the band wagon?
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 years ago multicam was the bandwagon. At some point woodland was a bandwagon.

Don't hate on something simply because it's new.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
bear in mind that Vertx is not made in large untapered sizes... if you wear anything more than 40-42.. you will have to go custom

Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 years ago multicam was the bandwagon. At some point woodland was a bandwagon.

Don't hate on something simply because it's new.

Woodland and Multicam, even A-TACS were advances in camouflage.

Kryptek is bug wings
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Woodland and Multicam, even A-TACS were advances in camouflage.

Kryptek is bug wings

I don't know.. from what little I have seen so far, it looks to be pretty effective.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, thanks.

Me too Just used it.

Let the hate fires burn all night
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I like Kryptek a lot, wish i could see some Raid up close
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Are there any non industry pictures of it in the field?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

and sources for fabric?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Uhhhhh, I've got this picture of it leaning against a tree....I don't own a jacket or pants though so I can't really show how well it works to conceal a person.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhhh, I've got this picture of it leaning against a tree....I don't own a jacket or pants though so I can't really show how well it works to conceal a person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/runnerdrex/IMG_5532.jpg

Speaking as objectively as possible, that doesn't look very convincing to me.

I have done the whole "throw a bunch of patterns in different environments and see which one hides the best" and without fail, Multicam was the most impressive.

As far as looking "cool", the carrier in your picture has that going for it... for what that's worth. I would like to see a piece in a real-world comparison with MC.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Multicam is freaking awesome for its versatility, I've got a buddy with some gear in it, but I do suspect the Mandrake will outperform it in an area like mine. (woods of upstate NY) Obviously throw it in a different environment and it'll stick out like a sore thumb, unlike Multicam.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Multicam is freaking awesome for its versatility, I've got a buddy with some gear in it, but I do suspect the Mandrake will outperform it in an area like mine. (woods of upstate NY) Obviously throw it in a different environment and it'll stick out like a sore thumb, unlike Multicam.

From what I can tell, Kryptec works great for each patterns particular environment but out side of it designated environment its cool looking but horrible.  Multi-cam however is really good in a lot of different environments.  It seems like Kryptec meets the Army competition requirements of a set of environment specific patterns.  But because of that I wouldn't be able to justify replacing a PC with it.  The PC has to work wherever I go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Couple more completely unscientific photos.

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Call me crazy but I think that looks really good. I've owned a lot of hunting camo and this is every bit as good as any of that. And it appears versatile too. I'd like to see a pic of some multicam side by side in these pics.
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/runnerdrex/media/4b1139ab-5f1a-40f7-a659-a6cfd12a00b1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/runnerdrex/4b1139ab-5f1a-40f7-a659-a6cfd12a00b1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/runnerdrex/media/49361989-9742-42d2-8b09-b08d9257722f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/runnerdrex/49361989-9742-42d2-8b09-b08d9257722f.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/runnerdrex/media/4b1139ab-5f1a-40f7-a659-a6cfd12a00b1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/runnerdrex/4b1139ab-5f1a-40f7-a659-a6cfd12a00b1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/runnerdrex/media/49361989-9742-42d2-8b09-b08d9257722f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/runnerdrex/49361989-9742-42d2-8b09-b08d9257722f.jpg</a>

I bet you would lose multicam in that bottom picture.
I do like the Kryptek though, I will have some stuff in a few of their patterns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I found this...

Kryptek Fabric
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah. I want them just because they look friggin awesome. Not really concerned about the affectiveness, I just like to wear camo pants. Hate all you want.

Someone above posted about NY state forests- an interesting experiment I did with a friend last spring we were hiking in the Catskills. He was wearing a multicam boonie, I had a boonie in plain OD green. We decided to see how well the multicam worked- in MOST places we put it, it actually stuck out. It was much brighter than he surrounding foliage, dead leaves and tree trunks. We would take turns having one of us turn our back, while the other one went and put the hats somewhere, then turn around and see which one we could find faster. We always found the multicam hat faster, whereas the plain OD green was often tough to find. Even when just placed against the bottom of a tree- brown bark, brown leaves, green hat, it still seemed to blend in better than the multicam.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered a pair from Vertx with a hat, I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them.  I do LOVE Vertx pants though.  Thanks TanRifleGuy for the coupon code, saved me 50 bucks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just ordered a pair from Vertx with a hat, I'll let you guys know what I think when I get them.  I do LOVE Vertx pants though.  Thanks TanRifleGuy for the coupon code, saved me 50 bucks!

Vertx hats fit like shit I think. Krypteks are way better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yeah. I want them just because they look friggin awesome. Not really concerned about the affectiveness, I just like to wear camo pants. Hate all you want.

Someone above posted about NY state forests- an interesting experiment I did with a friend last spring we were hiking in the Catskills. He was wearing a multicam boonie, I had a boonie in plain OD green. We decided to see how well the multicam worked- in MOST places we put it, it actually stuck out. It was much brighter than he surrounding foliage, dead leaves and tree trunks. We would take turns having one of us turn our back, while the other one went and put the hats somewhere, then turn around and see which one we could find faster. We always found the multicam hat faster, whereas the plain OD green was often tough to find. Even when just placed against the bottom of a tree- brown bark, brown leaves, green hat, it still seemed to blend in better than the multicam.

MC isn't going to work everywhere but it's a great real-world compromise.

I bet if you had a larger item like a PC or ruck in OD green, it would stick right out.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Vertx hats fit like shit I think. Krypteks are way better.

I like the fit of my MC viper headware
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

woodland CADPAT vanishes real well up here too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Solid colors don't work as well as large items because they don't break up the shape.  They work well small because there's not much surface area to break up.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Solid colors don't work as well as large items because they don't break up the shape.  They work well small because there's not much surface area to break up.

Correct. There is no universally effective solution for all shapes, sizes and environments.

I might be a fan of MC and certain other patterns but from what I see, I would take Kryptek over mossy oak, realtree, and similar garbage any day. Commercial hunting patterns are nearly always total shit.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. There is no universally effective solution for all shapes, sizes and environments.

I might be a fan of MC and certain other patterns but from what I see, I would take Kryptek over mossy oak, realtree, and similar garbage any day. Commercial hunting patterns are nearly always total shit.

Agreed on all counts. Multicam is my go-to camo, but I have woodland BDU's, and I'll probably get something in woodland MARPAT cuz it works well and I like it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on all counts.  Most hunting camo I've seen sucks.  I use Multicam because I change environments from arid to woodland.  If I was only going to be in the woods or only the rocky desert, I'd have to give it to Kryptek hands down.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Got my Vertx pants and hat in today.  Both in Mandrake.  Ill get some pics up soon, but the colors are very similar to A-TACS FG.  the Vertx hat is GREAT, made in the USA and fits just like any other ball cap, no issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I got mine last week, but went with Highlander, as I thought it was more versatile.  I've got a firefighter short on backorder, as well.  I'd like to pick up a pair of mainframe eventually, but I'm in no hurry.  I really like the kryptek patterns just because I like it.  Plus, Vertx is good kit.  Win win.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Can you take some pictures?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Also bear in mind that there may be some color saturation differences between the ripstop and something made of 500D Cordura.  

Combined with cut and composition of the raw material, the end result may be skewed to more green or more khaki / FDE

Notice how there appears to be more "green" on the vest component ( all due to where on the pattern that particular bolt piece fell on)

these were cut from the same roll of 500D Mandrake, but due to where they were cut from, both showing differing "concentrations" of brown vs green
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Are there any photos out there showing a chest rig or plate carrier in Highlander over a shirt or jacket in Mandrake?  

I tried googling but failed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top