Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 160
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CJ47:

The flight medics I know have said that the last thing they’re gonna do when blood transfusion is needed is trust some random dudes patch.

However I wouldn’t trust dog tags either - I got to play with it one day and I was willing to put anything on those suckers lol
View Quote

Not that this needs to be confirmed again, but this is correct.

You’re getting O- blood. It’s all we carry, because the weight/benefit ratio of carrying all blood types is incredibly inefficient, and we wouldn’t be able to do any sort of mass transfusion.

That, and I don’t trust any identification on a pt until confirmed by a trustworthy historian.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Any suggestions for a PC set up for someone who is a bit on the smaller side?

5'6", 10x12 sized plates seem to be a bit too large for me to aim a long gun with.

Want a carrier, plates and rig/placard recommendations. Want to be able to run it either slick or be able to throw a basic loadout on it. (medical, around 3 AR mags and ideally some extra space for a few other small bits of gear).
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By testguy111:

5'6", 10x12 sized plates seem to be a bit too large for me to aim a long gun with.

Want a carrier, plates and rig/placard recommendations. Want to be able to run it either slick or be able to throw a basic loadout on it. (medical, around 3 AR mags and ideally some extra space for a few other small bits of gear).
View Quote

I'm the same height, athletic build at 185 lbs. I went JPC 2.0 medium. I could have gone with a small and still been okay. I use a Shaw Concepts ARC placard, but there are so many great options out there these days. I carry an IFAK on my belt and in a dangler pouch. Shooting with a PC takes getting used to and will suck more than without one.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By testguy111:

View Quote

Any of the big names in a medium. I'm 5'4" and 175 and run one of two Ferro Slicksters in Medium. One is more loaded out and the other is more slick (also the one the wife can use). Both can take the various placards I have (spiritus, ferro, haley).
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 7:48:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#5]
General gear dump for part of this loadout. All parts are a WIP. The unobtainium jsta inserts are the shiznit.

-not pictured:large-ish pack. The back panel hooks into both the main pack, and then onto the PC. Currently capable of 4.5L of water in just bladders on the panel and PC. I have some things coming for the backpanel that are still a ways out from being completed (built to order things)

-Next on the list: replace mcb belt with coyote/dts stuff. Mcb will become my low pro belt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Crye LV-MBAV in overt configuration

Stripped down

Hesco m210 front and back with l210 side plates. IIIa backers all around.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a barely used black Crye SPC with small cummerbund for sale in the EE chest rig section.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:

Thank you croak, your post helps a lot.  Actually pushes me back to where I originally started, which was thinking that I’d go with the k19 3.0.
I have no experience with any of these and no way to test/try any PCs locally, so I’m hoping to make the best decision possible completely from others experiences.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
Originally Posted By Croak:
K19 is a lot more comfy for me than the JPC when fully kitted out, and if you get the 3.0 version, pretty modular-can finally upgrade to Tubes from Rock buckles, can lose the shoulder QD, and with their upcoming or Grim Hunter's MOLLE adaptor, the world is your oyster when it comes to cummerbunds.  Though the 'bund thing also applies to the K-Zero too.

K-Zero was designed to be a comfy minimalist, but it's not super low-profile and it's not as good at load-bearing as the K19.  Cable management is better, and some folks are going to appreciate the reduced bulk a bit. Biggest deal breaker for me on the K-Zero was the lack of the plate suspension straps inside the bags, followed by the lack of an admin pocket (which I have lot of use for) and the fact that I prioritize load-bearing over bulk.

If you're serious about low-profile, as an Agilite fanboi I'd probably recommend the SPC over the K-Zero, though by the time you accessorize the SPC to where the K-Zero comes out of the box, you're at the same money or more.

Thank you croak, your post helps a lot.  Actually pushes me back to where I originally started, which was thinking that I’d go with the k19 3.0.
I have no experience with any of these and no way to test/try any PCs locally, so I’m hoping to make the best decision possible completely from others experiences.

I've got the K19 2.0 and 3.0. The 3.0 is slightly better in that you can eliminate the QD hardware on your shooting shoulder. The new design still interferes a little bit with shouldering a rifle, but supposedly the K-Zero is even better still. I am sticking with the K-19 3.0 because it's extremely comfortable and well built...and I don't want to spend $$$ on a third PC.

The K-19 is hard to beat, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Update on dts carrier
Roll 1 pouch in dts
Pangolin flaps in dts
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:50:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maddy21] [#10]
Does the AXL Equinox provide as much of the structural benefits of the SPC cummerbund even though it does not have the structural tabs for support?
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Maddy21:
Does the AXL Equinox provide as much of the structural benefits of the SPC cummerbund even though it does not have the structural tabs for support?
View Quote

Depends on platform but overall, it's better from a structural standpoint.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 5:59:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Metro6] [#12]
The AXL are good structural support ( have not used a SPC, but have an AVS ) and I have them on several PC’s and just added them to my LPAAC. I’ve been against tubes for quite some time for several reasons, but am starting to dig them on the equinox CB’s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Self accessible pack panel...https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/20230509_170611_jpg-2811206.JPG
View Quote

@hoody2shoez what mag pouch is that on the inside of your cummerbund?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#14]
Originally Posted By ls4ya:

View All Quotes
Self accessible pack panel...https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/20230509_170611_jpg-2811206.JPG

It's an overpriced Shaw shank v2. It was designed for knives but fits a mag perfectly. Also has internal padding. It's absolutely fucking redarded Shaw doesn't sell them standalone. You gotta pay $60 and get a wing everytime you order it. Someone else desperately needs do internal padded pouches. Would buy lots

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#15]
I need some type of small, hook backed pontoon/similar padding for inside the equinox. Anybody have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]

It's an overpriced Shaw shank v2. It was designed for knives but fits a mag perfectly. Also has internal padding. It's absolutely fucking redarded Shaw doesn't sell them standalone. You gotta pay $60 and get a wing everytime you order it. Someone else desperately needs do internal padded pouches. Would buy lots

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20230829-142448_Chrome_jpg-2936356.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20230829-142454_Chrome_jpg-2936357.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20230829-142448_Chrome_jpg-2936356.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470854/Screenshot_20230829-142454_Chrome_jpg-2936357.JPG

I just started looking and was surprised by the lack of padded internal pouches. I may have to let Shaw rob me to get one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I need some type of small, hook backed pontoon/similar padding for inside the equinox. Anybody have any suggestions?
View Quote

I’m really surprised Axl doesn’t have more accessories for the equinox. They lined it with loop, so it seems like they may have intended to go that direction.

Qore ice vents maybe?

Qore ice vents
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]

I’m really surprised Axl doesn’t have more accessories for the equinox. They lined it with loop, so it seems like they may have intended to go that direction.

Qore ice vents maybe?

Qore ice vents
View All Quotes

Qore ice vents maybe?

Qore ice vents

That's what I was thinking
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Qore ice vents maybe?

Qore ice vents

I friggin love the various ones I have.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]

I just started looking and was surprised by the lack of padded internal pouches. I may have to let Shaw rob me to get one.
View All Quotes

I'll buy just the wing part of the combo from y'all. I need two of the wings.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Space-Cadet:

I have so many wings for sale lol message me
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#22]
So I recieved a DM about quad placards. This is not me-i pulled this picture from the thread as a visual aid

Attachment Attached File

I prefer not to use quad placards or stack extra pouches up front unless absolutely necessary. Velcro rarely handles the extra weight well. Unfortunately for work I'm issued one of these:
Attachment Attached File

Anytime I have extra weight/overhang off the front of the carrier, even if it's minimal, I use some sort of secondary retention such as these from axl
Attachment Attached File

If you don't plan on using your cummerbund theres almost zero reason to not have some type of additional retention, especially when it doesn't take up any additional space.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 6:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#23]
Fully agree about the additional retention. While I didn’t have a quad 5.56 placard at the time, I tried out both the AXL kit and the Haley Strategic kit and felt the latter was superior. Tough to get on initially, but a much better design IMO.

Note that the Velocity Systems UW Chest Rig Gen IV you were issued has tabs for side buckles but the Velocity Systems quad 5.56 placard in Doc_Hurley’s pic does not come with them. Maybe there’s a way to add them using the Velcro backside?

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 12:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#24]
Updated pc/belt setup. About 95% dialed in. Needs some small things still

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
6 mile run this morning
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Very awesome, especially bringing the family along.

I found running with a stroller to be less preferable than a punch in the face, so good on ya.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lew:

I found running with a stroller to be less preferable than a punch in the face, so good on ya.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:

It's not so bad. You just have to get used to it.

My daughter got out and ran the last .7 miles.

Last week she did .5 miles.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20230921_102334_2_jpg-2970202.JPG
View Quote

Yer daughter runs as maniacally as mine does. I love it.

I'm not the biggest fan of distance running to begin with. Sprints are more my thing.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

What part of NH?  In-laws live there.  WE were just up a few weeks ago.  Be back for Christmas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By gotuonpaper:

What part of NH?  In-laws live there.  WE were just up a few weeks ago.  Be back for Christmas.
View All Quotes

Western lakes region
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Western lakes region
View All Quotes

Western lakes region

Wife grew up in the Alton/Wolfeboro area. Her sister still lives in Concord.  Parents moved back to Mass in Tewksbury.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 10:46:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#33]
A simple and effective setup example. Blake knows what's up.

The entire setup is an unobtanium placard and single mag pouch
Jtacsolutions expander with tq pouches
Dangler

The only specialized tools are the baton holder and the flex cuff rear dangler.

Part 1
Part 2
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 4:51:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve8140] [#34]
Finally upgraded a bit. Still waiting on a few items to get delivered and haven’t used it yet past running around the house for a few hours.

So far I love this setup. Much more comfortable than my old one with a lot more freedom to move.

Slickster
Assault cummerbund with cobra buckles
KTAR front flap
Mini dangler
AXL shoulder pads

Still waiting for
Roll 1 trauma pouch

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Wife grew up in the Alton/Wolfeboro area. Her sister still lives in Concord.  Parents moved back to Mass in Tewksbury.
View All Quotes

Western lakes region

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Working on cable management, negative space, and rear quarter panel usage. I need a jtactical placard expander.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Crye JPC 2.0 owner/user here with L-210 plates for lightweight discreet usage.

What is good today that isn't cost prohibitive for rifle plates (not steel) that will take some weight to support my SR-25?  I won't be running radios so cable management is not a primary concern though, I need to keep my cellphone handy and possibly a satellite phone as some point in the future.  I will want to take some water with me in addition to normal suburban necessities like a rain jacket or moderate cold weather jacket along with some other random stuff like a med kit and some munchies.  Definitely want to avoid the TACTICAL TURTLE scenarios!!!

I am thinking about a Ferro Concepts FCPC V5  or one of the LBT options as my initial starting point.  Whatever I get needs enough structure to carry some weight in reasonable comfort without being overly heavy and unreasonable for suburbia and rural farm life.  Real high dollar options are not an option but, I also expect to spend a good chunk of money to get a quality plate carrier.  I expect to get the accessories over time but, any "kit options" that are a good deal would encourage me to get my accessories upfront instead of repurposing random mag pouches and other similar stuff I have collected over the years.

TIA,
Sid
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#38]
Originally Posted By sidpost:
Crye JPC 2.0 owner/user here with L-210 plates for lightweight discreet usage.

What is good today that isn't cost prohibitive for rifle plates (not steel) that will take some weight to support my SR-25?  I won't be running radios so cable management is not a primary concern though, I need to keep my cellphone handy and possibly a satellite phone as some point in the future.  I will want to take some water with me in addition to normal suburban necessities like a rain jacket or moderate cold weather jacket along with some other random stuff like a med kit and some munchies.  Definitely want to avoid the TACTICAL TURTLE scenarios!!!

I am thinking about a Ferro Concepts FCPC V5  or one of the LBT options as my initial starting point.  Whatever I get needs enough structure to carry some weight in reasonable comfort without being overly heavy and unreasonable for suburbia and rural farm life.  Real high dollar options are not an option but, I also expect to spend a good chunk of money to get a quality plate carrier.  I expect to get the accessories over time but, any "kit options" that are a good deal would encourage me to get my accessories upfront instead of repurposing random mag pouches and other similar stuff I have collected over the years.

TIA,
Sid
View Quote

If you add structural components, most modern pc's will handle a light-medium load without an issue.
The fcpcv5 is known for the shoulder straps tearing-just an fyi

If you like the jpc then you could always buy a second one or an spc and add some axl pads and cummerbunds to it.

The lv119 is also in that class. I can handle a heavy assaulters load with mine when built correctly without issue.

K-zero if you like agilite. Not a fan personally but they do have a following.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#39]
You might not be able to get the agelite stuff currently. I think they had to let a lot of folks go for the current thing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Thoughts on a Velocity Systems Scarab LT ?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#41]

If you add structural components, most modern pc's will handle a light-medium load without an issue.

If you like the jpc then you could always buy a second one or an spc and add some axl pads and cummerbunds to it.
View Quote

Thanks!  Any specific recommendations for an update to a second JPC I have access to?

Thanks again for the pointer to the FCPC V5 shoulder strap issue.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 4:40:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#42]

Thanks!  Any specific recommendations for an update to a second JPC I have access to?

Thanks again for the pointer to the FCPC V5 should strap issue.
View All Quotes

Thanks again for the pointer to the FCPC V5 should strap issue.

Axl structural pads
Axl equinox cummerbund. Mount rear of bund slightly lower than front.

How much gear will you be carrying? You can build out a jpc to be ok at it if that's your preference. If you are planning a heavier load though a carrier designed to distribute weight better would ultimately be a better choice. When spec'ed  the same, the spc and lv119 will handle loads better than a jpc. If the weight isn't a lot you may not notice a difference though

Edit*** a third possibility exists-if the load is simple we may be able to add it to the current carrier without interfering with anything
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#43]

How much gear will you be carrying? You can build out a jpc to be ok at it if that's your preference. If you are planning a heavier load though a carrier designed to distribute weight better would ultimately be a better choice. When spec'ed  the same, the spc and lv119 will handle loads better than a jpc. If the weight isn't a lot you may not notice a difference though
View Quote

I will be using ceramic medium rifle plates that are ~1" thick rated for 308 hits.  I typically carry 3qt/L of water and will have 6x20-rd 308 mags as a bare minimum.  Add a few pounds for a flashlight (not WML), rain/wet or cold weather gear, and some energy bars plus some other random stuff like a small Kelly Kettle or simple burner and cup for a warm drink or something simple like a heater meal or freeze dried food items.  I tend to neglect mentioning my Glock but, it will have 5x17rd mags of 9mm in addition to the pistol itself.

Mainly, I need 24~36 hours of unsupported standoff in a rural area with drug addicts with a death wish.  Most of them have a "deer rifle" so, I need to travel light enough I can keep good distance between myself and them which means, I need to avoid hang ups in trees and brush in addition to being fit enough with my load to keep my pace at 4 miles an hour through cow pastures and light woods.  My specific goal in 9 miles in 2hrs and 15mins over and thru any obstacle with my load.  This time of year includes wet gear and warmth and late Spring and Summer is heat related support gear.

40 pounds is a hard limit on total gear weight right now including my rifle at my current level of physical fitness.  I need to limit things that will 'catch' brush or barbed wire so my pace doesn't drop too much.  This makes me tend to look at 'slick' carriers but, with heavy thick plates and 120 rounds of 308, I tend to think I need a heavier bulkier Plate Carrier.

My rifle and ammo weight is a problem but, I need power at range against vehicles.  My KAC LPR is simply awesome against 'easy' targets like aggressive dogs (killed over 100 with that rifle) but, I have no illusions against an unregistered 20 year old pickup or sedan trying to run me down.  The only reason I will use a 308 for that is my African rifle will be locked up in a safe when it is needed!!!

Within 2 miles of where I live, I have a registered sex offender (fathered a child with a 14 year old), and a 1/2 mile away an arson that burned a house to the ground over a rent dispute, and there are 2 known drug addicts that were on parole, both went back to prison where one was killed in custody.  Then there are two animal hoarders and several groups of people on public assistance (not meaning to imply all people needing help are a problem but, local circumstances are what they are).  Groups of belligerent dope smoking teens and 20 somethings are my real concern for personal safety.  Local law enforcement is doing the best they can with what they have work with but, resolution to an explosive in my mailbox is still outstanding (I am pretty sure I know who did it but, lack proof) and mail service was stopped at mutual agreement.  With Motocross motorcycles and ATV's frequently on the county road, those dopers are a concern if motivated my direction.  1 vs. 12 or more is a bad place to be but, sometimes you don't have a choice; hopefully they are all jacked up on dope so, I can reason my way down the road to the town ~16 miles away with the county Sherriff.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]

I will be using ceramic medium rifle plates that are ~1" thick rated for 308 hits.  I typically carry 3qt/L of water and will have 6x20-rd 308 mags as a bare minimum.  Add a few pounds for a flashlight (not WML), rain/wet or cold weather gear, and some energy bars plus some other random stuff like a small Kelly Kettle or simple burner and cup for a warm drink or something simple like a heater meal or freeze dried food items.  I tend to neglect mentioning my Glock but, it will have 5x17rd mags of 9mm in addition to the pistol itself.

Mainly, I need 24~36 hours of unsupported standoff in a rural area with drug addicts with a death wish.  Most of them have a "deer rifle" so, I need to travel light enough I can keep good distance between myself and them which means, I need to avoid hang ups in trees and brush in addition to being fit enough with my load to keep my pace at 4 miles an hour through cow pastures and light woods.  My specific goal in 9 miles in 2hrs and 15mins over and thru any obstacle with my load.  This time of year includes wet gear and warmth and late Spring and Summer is heat related support gear.

40 pounds is a hard limit on total gear weight right now including my rifle at my current level of physical fitness.  I need to limit things that will 'catch' brush or barbed wire so my pace doesn't drop too much.  This makes me tend to look at 'slick' carriers but, with heavy thick plates and 120 rounds of 308, I tend to think I need a heavier bulkier Plate Carrier.

My rifle and ammo weight is a problem but, I need power at range against vehicles.  My KAC LPR is simply awesome against 'easy' targets like aggressive dogs (killed over 100 with that rifle) but, I have no illusions against an unregistered 20 year old pickup or sedan trying to run me down.  The only reason I will use a 308 for that is my African rifle will be locked up in a safe when it is needed!!!

Within 2 miles of where I live, I have a registered sex offender (fathered a child with a 14 year old), and a 1/2 mile away an arson that burned a house to the ground over a rent dispute, and there are 2 known drug addicts that were on parole, both went back to prison where one was killed in custody.  Then there are two animal hoarders and several groups of people on public assistance (not meaning to imply all people needing help are a problem but, local circumstances are what they are).  Groups of belligerent dope smoking teens and 20 somethings are my real concern for personal safety.  Local law enforcement is doing the best they can with what they have work with but, resolution to an explosive in my mailbox is still outstanding (I am pretty sure I know who did it but, lack proof) and mail service was stopped at mutual agreement.  With Motocross motorcycles and ATV's frequently on the county road, those dopers are a concern if motivated my direction.  1 vs. 12 or more is a bad place to be but, sometimes you don't have a choice; hopefully they are all jacked up on dope so, I can reason my way down the road to the town ~16 miles away with the county Sherriff.
View All Quotes

I think you should focus on moving first.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#45]

View All Quotes

Ok that's a lot of things to digest.

Is there a belt being used in conjunction with this? Not just a leather belt, but an actual tactical belt of some sort?

How is the current jpc set up? Can you post pics? What about you? Are you in decent shape? I'm trying to get a feel for negative space in your setup

What other gear is part of this? Kestrel, range finder, etc?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#46]

I think you should focus on moving first.
View Quote

If that was a reasonable option for me, I would.  Life circumstances make that not a viable option.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#47]

Is there a belt being used in conjunction with this? Not just a leather belt, but an actual tactical belt of some sort?

How is the current jpc set up? Can you post pics? What about you? Are you in decent shape? I'm trying to get a feel for negative space in your setup

View Quote
Belt:  Riggers and Crye Battle Belts available.

JPC is basically slick with AR-15 magazine carriers

Physical fitness:  In Arizona I did 65lbs of gear in a backpack 3 to 5 times a week  for 9 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes in open desert.  Not that physically fit today but, I live and work on a farm so I have an active lifestyle.  My plan is to get my 'travel kit' assembled and with my rifle in hand to start training with long distance hikes.  I have also spent most of my life camping and hiking.

No Kestrel or Range Finder as I'm not 'sniping' and defensive shooting where I need those is questionable where I live.  The grill and windshield of a 20 year old unregistered car or pickup is pretty generous if it comes to that.  At reasonable distances for an engagement, I won't need those nor would I have the time to deploy them.

I may get a Thermal handheld Observation device based on my experience whacking Feral Hogs at night for general surveillance and avoidance purposes.

A sidearm is easy to overlook but, I will and do carry a Glock or similar pistol.  I will want ~5 magazines for it and 6-20 rounders for my rifle.

Overall weight and bulk is a consideration because I don't want to get hung up in trees or on barb wire crossings in a cow pasture.  Weight hurts travel speed in general and is worse on wet ground.

Legalized marijuana and various political stressors have pushed a lot of people out "to the country where we can do whatever we want".  Paranoid idiots with a plant or two behind their decomposing mobile home has lead to the proliferation of aggressive dogs.  I have been attacked 3 times either on my property or the public road near my property.

Groups of dope smoking late-teens and early 20-somethings are the worst.  With their Motocross motorcycles and ATV's and altered mental states, they are very unpredictable.  Retired Marines around me have helped run most of them off though so I am less bothered by them right now.

I want to be prepared for a strong defense.  This to me means I need to train like I would fight.  That means increased physical fitness with muscle memory for a rifle in my hands or on a sling, a Plate Carrier for the WTF "where did that come from" mistake, and a little warm dry gear or heat and sun protection gear to get me out of harms way.

If the hammer drops, I need the skills to make myself a tough target.  That means not running out of ammo, water, or munchies from whatever barricaded position I end up in on my way to town and law enforcement.  My JPC seems to not be fit for this type of usage even with a Haley Flatpack or similar hanging off the back so, here I am!  Hiking and Camping with a ~95lb pack taught me to value good boots and a premium pack too!  Hence my desire to buy an appropriate Plate Carrier as opposed to repurposing my JPC to be something it is not! I would still need something low profile so, getting a second JPC isn't likely the best option.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 11:55:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoody2shoez] [#48]

Physical fitness:  In Arizona I did 65lbs of gear in a backpack 3 to 5 times a week  for 9 miles in 2 hours 15 minutes in open desert.  Not that physically fit today but, I live and work on a farm so I have an active lifestyle.  My plan is to get my 'travel kit' assembled and with my rifle in hand to start training with long distance hikes.  I have also spent most of my life camping and hiking.

No Kestrel or Range Finder as I'm not 'sniping' and defensive shooting where I need those is questionable where I live.  The grill and windshield of a 20 year old unregistered car or pickup is pretty generous if it comes to that.  At reasonable distances for an engagement, I won't need those nor would I have the time to deploy them.

I may get a Thermal handheld Observation device based on my experience whacking Feral Hogs at night for general surveillance and avoidance purposes.

A sidearm is easy to overlook but, I will and do carry a Glock or similar pistol.  I will want ~5 magazines for it and 6-20 rounders for my rifle.

Overall weight and bulk is a consideration because I don't want to get hung up in trees or on barb wire crossings in a cow pasture.  Weight hurts travel speed in general and is worse on wet ground.

Legalized marijuana and various political stressors have pushed a lot of people out "to the country where we can do whatever we want".  Paranoid idiots with a plant or two behind their decomposing mobile home has lead to the proliferation of aggressive dogs.  I have been attacked 3 times either on my property or the public road near my property.

Groups of dope smoking late-teens and early 20-somethings are the worst.  With their Motocross motorcycles and ATV's and altered mental states, they are very unpredictable.  Retired Marines around me have helped run most of them off though so I am less bothered by them right now.

I want to be prepared for a strong defense.  This to me means I need to train like I would fight.  That means increased physical fitness with muscle memory for a rifle in my hands or on a sling, a Plate Carrier for the WTF "where did that come from" mistake, and a little warm dry gear or heat and sun protection gear to get me out of harms way.

If the hammer drops, I need the skills to make myself a tough target.  That means not running out of ammo, water, or munchies from whatever barricaded position I end up in on my way to town and law enforcement.  My JPC seems to not be fit for this type of usage even with a Haley Flatpack or similar hanging off the back so, here I am!  Hiking and Camping with a ~95lb pack taught me to value good boots and a premium pack too!  Hence my desire to buy an appropriate Plate Carrier as opposed to repurposing my JPC to be something it is not! I would still need something low profile so, getting a second JPC isn't likely the best option.  
View All Quotes

There is no way to build out what you want and still avoid snag hazards. You're placing too much emphasis on ammo and not enough on sustainment/bushcraft. There is not a good way to carry 5 extra glock mags on the kit, keep them accessible, and still have 6 mags of 308 without adding tons of bulk. The focus should not be fighting back... the focus should be getting off the X, observation, and avoidance.

308 pattern mags are wide. Three up front, one upside down on each rear quarter panel, one on belt.
Three pistol mags on belt, two on vest
If you are running lights, optics, and/or lasers you'll need the supporting items located on your body. I recommend having some on both belt and vest.
Medical has lots of choices. Pick what you want.
Nods/thermals need a dedicated, padded pocket. I'd do either the 11 or the 1 position. They also need the supporting items as does everything else.
I'd recommend having some type of snacking food you can eat on the move ON YOUR BODY. (Not in a pack) I'd throw that opposite of the other pouch. Are you using a phone at all? It going to need a way to store it. A battery pack for it would also be a decent idea. Don't forget most modern phones will let you pre-store GPS/maps up to a certain distance so you'd be able to use them even without service
Lighting equipment also needs its own storage and again, support items. Multitools, signaling, and radios continue to add additional complexity to the limited space. If you're carrying mags/a pistol on belt, that already forces you to abandon using parts of your cummerbund for storage.
If your helmet has lights and electronic ear protection those will also need support items.

Lots of pc's can handle this when built correctly. Zero will be able to do this in a streamlined, snag free way
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:10:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sidpost] [#49]
There is no way to build out what you want and still avoid snag hazards. You're placing too much emphasis on ammo and not enough on sustainment/bushcraft. There is not a good way to carry 5 extra glock mags on the kit, keep them accessible, and still have 6 mags of 308 without adding tons of bulk. The focus should not be fighting back... the focus should be getting off the X, observation, and avoidance.
View All Quotes

Looking at the Velocity Systems Scarab, it looked like the cummerbund had 2 rifle mags on each side for 4 total.  5 pistol mags don't take a lot of room and I only need one to be accessible quickly so, the others could be put in a pouch of some sort.  The 308 rifle placards I see are generally all 3 magazines so, that would put the extras somewhere less accessible.

Sustainment would imply water and food mainly to myself.  Camping experience provides a lot of options there for a small pack on the back plate.

Some of my initial expectations and experience comes from CCW with a double pistol mag carrier so, that may bias me some to be ammo heavy.  Feral Hog hunting was often high body counts too so, again I may be over biased on the ammo.

In terms of avoidance, that comes from hiking experience with what I did with heavy backpacks though, I wasn't being pursued.

What you are saying is probably obvious if I had a 308 placard to put on my JPC.  I may go ahead and do that in the near term instead of waiting to select my plate carrier.

308 pattern mags are wide. Three up front, one upside down on each rear quarter panel, one on belt.
Three pistol mags on belt, two on vest

If the Scarab has 2 on each side of the cumberbund, the other two could be stored in a less accessible location.  Pistol magazines would go on the belt assuming they don't interfere with the Plate Carrier along with a knife and small light.  If the layout on the plate carrier allowed it, I would like a pair of single pistol mags on it along with a tourniquet.

If you are running lights, optics, and/or lasers you'll need the supporting items located on your body. I recommend having some on both belt and vest.

I generally use 18650 battery solutions and have a pair of spares stored in a pocket somewhere.

Medical has lots of choices. Pick what you want.

Other than the tourniquet, I will go with my camping and hiking 'lessons learned' med kit.  I'm more into the solid basics and not the advanced stuff like clotting bandages.  A half full sandwich bag of OTC stuff from the Walmart Pharmacy area or any drug store will deal with most common needs of a non-major (broken bones, severe bleeds, etc.) nature.

Nods/thermals need a dedicated, padded pocket. I'd do either the 11 or the 1 position. They also need the supporting items as does everything else.

No PVS-14.  A handheld Thermal observation device is likely in the future and will go high on my left shoulder when that happens.

I'd recommend having some type of snacking food you can eat on the move ON YOUR BODY. (Not in a pack) I'd throw that opposite of the other pouch.

ABSOLUTELY!!!  Hiking at 4mph with a load requires FUEL if you are going to continue the pace and distance.  Peanuts, Granola, and Energy bars I could eat on the move was a requirement for my desert hikes in addition to a lot of water.  My metabolism really gets into high gear with heavy hiking so, frequent small energy dense snacks are important, along with adequate fiber to keep everything moving through the GI tract.

Are you using a phone at all? It going to need a way to store it. A battery pack for it would also be a decent idea. Don't forget most modern phones will let you pre-store GPS/maps up to a certain distance so you'd be able to use them even without service

Cell service where I live is spotty at best.  Google maps downloaded for the local area as well.  The cellphone always rides next to my wallet.  Right now I generally get 36 hours out of a full charge so, probably okay as is.  I have used small solar panels and battery banks intermittently hiking and camping with mixed result for each.  I'm debating an InReach (Garmin) watch for multiple reasons separate from this line of thought.

Lighting equipment also needs its own storage and again, support items. Multitools, signaling, and radios continue to add additional complexity to the limited space. If you're carrying mags/a pistol on belt, that already forces you to abandon using parts of your cummerbund for storage.

I carry a small flashlight everyday in the watch pocket of my blue jeans so, good there along with a dual fuel SureFire on the rifle.

The only items I need to add are the multitool, a signal mirror, and a compass that I don't normally have in a blue jeans pocket.

Lots of pc's can handle this when built correctly. Zero will be able to do this in a streamlined, snag free way

Yes!  I want to get a good base to build from and I expect to learn from a lot of mistakes in the early days.  I tend to call the things that don't work "tuition" to the school of hard knocks:

• Are six rifle mags simply too much?

• Is the triple magazine placard on the plate carrier to much of a space hog causing too many other things to be huge snag hazards?

• Is the cumberbund only good for a pistol mag or two?

• What does all this weigh on the scales?

• Do I need to unload some stuff to cut overall bulk, weight, and to reduce snag hazards (don't require JPC slickness but, it still needs to be reasonable   whatever that ends up being)?

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, going back over your original requirements,  I think youbwould benefit from keeping a jpc slick and running a placard/pack combo over it. Something like a flatpack and dc3r heavy. Another option would be to direct mount a pack to your pc and run the d3cr as the placard.
You're going to be carrying a metric shit ton of weight in ammo. Forgive me if I missed the reasoning behind this.  I would suggest getting together everything you want to run on your person together and seeing what it comes out to. Pics would definitely help us help you. A basic ammo load on your person and additional in a pack might be better than lugging everything,  but then again,  my experience is not in backpacking, but is sitting in a security post for hours on end.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top