Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 5:58:03 PM EDT
So, I'm looking for a new watch.

I used to wear a Citizen Promaster Aqualand, but some dirty bastard stole it.

I like gadgety gimmicky things, so something along those lines would be cool, but I'm also looking for something incredibly rugged, etc.

A neat, cool, "tactical" watch, if you will.

Aside from that, does anyone know of a good cuff-style watch band?  An older watch I used to wear had a nylon cuff for it's band, velcro, had a flap that covered the watch face, etc.

Any ideas, on either?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
This compass watch has gotten some good reviews:http://www.broadarrow.net/newstuff.htm
You can always go for the High gear or Suunto watches if you want to be super gadgety.

As far as the watchband goes, I think Blackhawk still makes a band like your talking about.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Boy, does it ever!

www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-X9i.pro#specs  <--- This thing ROCKS!

The Suunto X9i kick ass!

GPS (with MGRS), Altimeter, Barometer, Compass, Thermometer, direct USB connection to a PC/Laptop (no cradle required),

Hot damn!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried out 5.11's watch?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone actually USE eithier a Suutro Vector or a Casio Pathfinder?

Pathfinder questions:
"Angle Indicator" does this mean you could rmove it from your wrist and lay it against your stock paralell to your barrel and be able to determine the angle of a shot on target? Does it show a baseline 0 and then give the angle reading?

Compass - is it something that you have actually used to navigate with? Or is it more of a nice refference / toy / gizmo?

Baromitor - the tendency graph - is it so small that is too hard to use?

Functionality - how many buttons - sequnenced button functions does it take too actually access the info? In the end is it more of a pain in the ass than it is worth?

Suutro Vector -

Same questions regarding the practical application of the compass.

Battery life?

Standard batteries? Any issues associated with replacement by user?

Band - standard set up? Common sized pins? Common size band?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i havent got the casio yet, cant justify the $150 when so many guns to buy.  the suunto has a very large exposed face.  i wear em down, and scratch em to hell.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]

I love my CASIO  G-SHOCK. I have had it for around 8 years and all I've had to do is change the battery once. These watches are really tough IMO and for $60.00 to $100.00 depending on what model you choose, that's a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone actually USE eithier a Suutro Vector or a Casio Pathfinder?

Pathfinder questions:
"Angle Indicator" does this mean you could rmove it from your wrist and lay it against your stock paralell to your barrel and be able to determine the angle of a shot on target? Does it show a baseline 0 and then give the angle reading?

Compass - is it something that you have actually used to navigate with? Or is it more of a nice refference / toy / gizmo?

Baromitor - the tendency graph - is it so small that is too hard to use?

Functionality - how many buttons - sequnenced button functions does it take too actually access the info? In the end is it more of a pain in the ass than it is worth?

Suutro Vector -

Same questions regarding the practical application of the compass.

Battery life?

Standard batteries? Any issues associated with replacement by user?

Band - standard set up? Common sized pins? Common size band?

TIA

I've got the Pathfinder. All the features are pretty accurate in my experience except for the altimeter. The compass is pretty dead on compared to a magnetic compass and if for some reason it's not, it can be calibrated. The barometer is pretty close too. I especially like this feature. The bar graph is easy to read and use. I like the weather prediction aspect of a barometer. The altimeter, I've found to be a little off.  All these main functions have their own seperate button and are activated with only one button push.

Aside from the altimeter, I've got one other tiny nitpicking complaint about the Pathfinder. It has to do with the light. When you press the light button, it only stays on for a second or so. I would prefer a button that keeps the light on until released.

I hope this helps. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the Pathfinder is a pretty big watch. The face is much bigger than most other "outdoor" type watches. I don't feel it's too big, just thought you might want to know. Overall, I'm very satisfied with mine and would definately reccomend it as a cheaper alternative to the crazy expensive Suunto's.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Marathon TSAR from CountyComm . It is a damn nice watch for the money, and built like a tank. My Wife got me mine as a gift and I love it. Mine came with the nylon band in the first pic but I got the SS band and had a jewler affix it soon after.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#10]
kythri, thx for starting this tread, I'm also in the market for a watch that can take a beating.

That Casio Pathfinder PRG-40-3v looks awesome, and it is 1/3 the price of the Suunto. The only thing the X9i has over the PRG-40-3v is the PC hook up, which IMHO is not important. I had a casio G-Shock a few years ago and that thing was a tank. My only issue with my G-Shock was when I took it apart, and couldn't get it back together correctly. I found the PRG-40-3v on Amazon for $129 plus shipping.

Marathon also makes very sturdy watches (as mentioned above) but they are not as feature rich as the other manufacturers.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
kythri, thx for starting this tread, I'm also in the market for a watch that can take a beating.

That Casio Pathfinder PRG-40-3v looks awesome, and it is 1/3 the price of the Suunto. The only thing the X9i has over the PRG-40-3v is the PC hook up, which IMHO is not important. I had a casio G-Shock a few years ago and that thing was a tank. My only issue with my G-Shock was when I took it apart, and couldn't get it back together correctly. I found the PRG-40-3v on Amazon for $129 plus shipping.

Marathon also makes very sturdy watches (as mentioned above) but they are not as feature rich as the other manufacturers.

^_^_^

I found the specs for a PAG40-3v, which appears to be the same model on the website (no mention of a PRG-40-3v, but it could simply be country of sale or something).

No mention of a GPS unit in the watch, which the Suunto X9i has - that, along with the USB connection is the biggest reason I want the X9i.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#12]
terd - what about my question regarding the ability of the watch to indicate angle?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I love my CASIO  G-SHOCK. I have had it for around 8 years and all I've had to do is change the battery once. These watches are really tough IMO and for $60.00 to $100.00 depending on what model you choose, that's a great deal.

They need to issue one in Desert/Coyote Brown, Dang It!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I found the specs for a PAG40-3v, which appears to be the same model on the website (no mention of a PRG-40-3v, but it could simply be country of sale or something).

No mention of a GPS unit in the watch, which the Suunto X9i has - that, along with the USB connection is the biggest reason I want the X9i.

I completely overlooked the GPS feature of the X9i. It is a very cool watch, although the GPS mode looks a bit on the cramped side.

If you do get the X9i, please post your thoughts.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I completely overlooked the GPS feature of the X9i. It is a very cool watch, although the GPS mode looks a bit on the cramped side.

If you do get the X9i, please post your thoughts.

^_^_^

Will do.

To be truthful, I could care less how the GPS displays on the watch itself - I'm more interested in it's ability to directly link via USB to a laptop.

Having the GPS on my wrist means one less thing to carry around in my laptop pack (or potentially forget at home).  As long as I get a clear coordinate display on the wrist, I'm happy.  I don't really need any extraneous information on that particular display.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#16]

I'm not sure exactly what you mean in your angle question. The angle function on the Pathfinder, the way I understand it, is in relation to the compass. If North is at 12:00, the angle reads 0 degrees. If North is at 3:00 on the watch, the angle reads 270 degrees. Every 15 minutes is 90 degrees, depending on the direction you are facing determines the angle from North. The bezel (having N,E,W,&S on it) spins so it can point to whichever direction the compass indicates is North. The small window that displays the barometer bar graph in that mode, displays your direction (e.g. NNE or ESE or WNW, etc.).

I know that probably didn't answer your question, but that's the angle feature the way I understand it. I'm not sure if you could take the watch off and use it for determining angle of targets. I don't get that fancy in my shooting, lol.

Quoted:
terd - what about my question regarding the ability of the watch to indicate angle?

TIA

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm into mechanical watches and like the looks of the Marathon SAR's posted above but, haven't gotten over to pick one up. I'd check out Howard Marx's site www.westcoastime.com

The ollech &wajs(O-lek and Vice) watches have mechanical ETA movements, come in a bunch of configurations and are bullet proof.

Howard is good to deal with and carries a bunch of good strap options.

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
what do y'all think of the luminox watches?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:30:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have seen these in person and they look pretty good. The build on these look pretty rugged.

Blitzkreig, That site has some pretty sweet timepieces. That Marathon SAR is one of my favorites, I just wish they made a model with more features, i.e. compass/GPS etc.

Wow, the X9i is really growing on me. I may have found my tax return purchase.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Casio G-Shock DW6900 going for $41.83 AT etronics.com. Awesome when you consider most places want double that for the same watch. I've got one also and it is as rugged as you can get, will take the worst of beatings and then some.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi Everyone,

Just noticed this thread and as chance would have it I read something really cool about watches with an e6b slide rule on it. The article was on page 16 in April's edition of Guns and Ammo in the margin.

They give an example on how to use the slide rule in conjunction with your mil-dot scope to assist in the range caluclations. I thought it quite interesting, anyway here is the watch they had pictured for the article.

www.pulsarwatches.com/Product.aspx?productId=483

Here was their example:    Say your target is a 14-inch square peice of paper. To determine the distance to target, you would multiply 14 * 27.78. To do this with the e6b slide rule, place the outer ring 14 over the inner ring 10 then follow the inner ring around to 27.78 and look above it, which gives you 390. Divide 390 by the number of mil-dots taken by the target.....1.5, for example, for an answer of 260 yards.

If it works out like that, then it sounds cool. Hope this gives you something to think about,

Dave
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Check out the 5.11 HRT Watch

www.tacticalperformancegear.net
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I like mine.

I love the ability to see what time it is anytime of day or night.  I also like the trittium second hand.. hard to find that feature on watches that have the trittium hour/min. hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top