Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:39:34 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my latest project. This is a highly upgraded ProTec Ace. I took the base model and cutout more around the ears. I removed the 4 point (under the chin) strap. I manufactured (out of ¾” tubular nylon) a 4 point chin strap that Velcros on all 4 points and riveted it to the helmet. The rear rivets were relocated further to the rear to support the AN/PVS-14. I attached an AN/PVS-14 mount to the front; I had to manufacture the claw part of the mount. I attached Velcro and IR squares on the sides, back and top. I finished it off with a custom paint job and markings consistent with my unit’s requirements.
This what I started With

Front

Left

Right

Rear

Front Worn

Right Worn

Left Worn

Thats It
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
real nice job
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:33:31 PM EDT
Cool! I just picked up a Pro-Tec Ace Amp in black. Need to rattle-can it for sure. I also want to switch it to a strap setup like yours. How much did you trim around the ears? Any suggestions on what tool to use for trimming?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:07:56 PM EDT

Not flaming here, but when exactly would you wear a helmet like that?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:15:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MP906:

I wear mine when I go grocery shopping...

Everyone always gets out of whatever checkout lane I stand in....

J/K

Looks like a nice setup! I have a Bell that I have setup for a PVS-14, and its definately front heavy, but its still better than wearing one of the regular headmounts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:36:05 AM EDT
Two toning the info is a nice touch! Hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:05:14 AM EDT

At the very least, it's a good way to mount and use night vision.
Much better than the head harnass assemblies and much easier to remove.

The ProTec military helmets are not ballistic helmets. They're useful in preventing head injury from bumps and falls (much better than PASGT, MICH/ACH because of the suspension and padding).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:55:52 AM EDT

Right, I know it is not ballistic.

I actually think it looks cool, but I have two MICHs and a Kevlar.

When would someone use the Protech rather than a real helmet?

I guess for some type of training? Rappelling maybe?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:51:07 AM EDT

Probably when the likelihood of encountering artillery, mortar fire, IEDs and other fragmentation devices is lower. I would think clearing buildings would generally be such a situation. You might still encounter frag grenades and such, but nothing like a mortar attack.

I believe the PASGT and ACH will stop handgun rounds, but I don't know how often those are encountered in a military situation. In a police situation, you are more likely to encounter handguns than long arms, so I would think a ballistic helmet would be the better choice. Police rarely encounter fragmentation rounds either (unless the meth lab goes kabloooey!)

The PASGT is heavy, and adding NV to it makes it even heavier still. I think the ACH is lighter by a pound or two, and the Protec should be lighter still. So as has been said, a good platform for mounting NV devices.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:06:22 AM EDT

Interesting, I guess the Delta types might use them for CQB, but I've never seen/heard of them being used in the big Army.

I can't imagine a CO trying to explain that. "Well, sir, SGT. Smith got killed because the entry team was using skateboards helmets. We used them because the MICH is too heavy and gives us headaches."

That'd be a bad-ass civilan outdoor helmet though.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:17:56 AM EDT

Interesting, I guess the Delta types might use them for CQB, but I've never seen/heard of them being used in the big Army.

I can't imagine a CO trying to explain that. "Well, sir, SGT. Smith got killed because the entry team was using skateboards helmets. We used them because the MICH is too heavy and gives us headaches."

That'd be a bad-ass civilan outdoor helmet though.

Delta/SEALs only, as far as I know.
Delta caught hell after Somalia because the lack of bullet resistance was apparent.
However, just like body armor, you pack what you need and make tradeoffs for likely expectations.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:49 AM EDT
nice.

a couple years ago, i sprayed a scratched-up snowboard helmet in desert pattern

the snow and water sport models have goggle retention in the rear
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:47:21 PM EDT
Those are pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:05 PM EDT
And here all this time I thought I was being crazy when I bought one and painted it green two years ago. At least I am not the only one sporting one now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:24:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FL-AR15:
And here all this time I thought I was being crazy when I bought one and painted it green two years ago. At least I am not the only one sporting one now.

Nope, you're still crazy. There are just more crazies to join you.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 4:42:45 AM EDT by Freakzilla]

The team of SEALs in A-stan that were killed (except for the one survivor) were wearing pro-tecs with NODs.

When you are unlikely to incounter pistol fire or indirect fire, this is a good option, the MICH will not stop an AK round and will just slow you down.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:32:43 AM EDT
Sweet lid, 11B30B4!

Will
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:25:11 AM EDT
What does "NKDA" on the helmet mean?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CAR-15:
What does "NKDA" on the helmet mean?

No Known Drug Allergies
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:33:04 PM EDT

No Known Drug Allergies

Ah..... copy that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:45:28 PM EDT
That looks nice!

What colors did you use to paint it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 6:24:38 PM EDT by FaceTime]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:14:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT by 11B30B4]
Thanks guys for the comments. As for when you would wear one. Just about all the time, I am in the Army of 1, but I work with the Army of 12. Most of the time I am in a PC, ball cap, or boonie; but kicking down doors or running in the woods, this is the best platform we have found. It vents good, the ears are exposed for commo, and it provides impact head protection. We use them in helo ops and on the ground, in the end I think I have worn a k-pot or mich a few times but they just aren’t suitable for our purposes.
Top Top