Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:15:00 PM EDT
Howdy! I'm trying to figure out how to attach the patrol pack to the backpack in the UM21 system but so far could not find a way that looks right.

The manual just (lamely) says the patrol pack can be stowded behind the backpack's compression flap or attached to the backpack using the buckles. Just that, in a small paragraph. What about the patrol pack's shoulder straps and waist belt? Do they go around the packpack?

Does anybody have a photo or more detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:46:38 AM EDT
im sorry you have to deal with that overweight hunk
the patrol pack is housed under the 'flap'

strapped down and the waist belt is tucked away.

all told if this is in new condition, sell it and use the proceeds to buy a kifaru.

more pack, less overall weight, and you dont have to deal with that damn gregory suspension.

EGG
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
You don't have a link to that manual online somewhere do you?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 2:12:29 PM EDT by M4CARBINE]
You can start here and maybe contact gregory direct.

http://www.gregorypacks.com/seriesintro.php?SeriesName=UM21
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:14:54 PM EDT
Found one ar the Bianchi website. Are Bianchi/Gregory the same outfit? The website has both names listed with the same address.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:20:47 PM EDT
I got a really good deal on one of these that was perfect but had a broken zipper. I had the zipper replaced. It is like new now.

For clarificationit is only the ruck, not the butt pack or patrol pack. It has two large and one medium add on MOLLE pouch, and two internal compression pouches.

Any idea on what it's worth? I've heard some high prices quoted.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2005 8:01:33 PM EDT by eggrolly]
okay heres the deal

GREGORY is a mountaineering pack company

Bianchi is a gun belt gear manufacturer

they teamed up on the UM21 b/c Gregory did not have the experience to market in the military but had the pack design and mfg capability whereas Bianchi already had inroads into the green but not the mfg experience.

initially ppl were clamoring over this pack, (especially since it was designed with "seal" input) but that was circa 1999-2001 timeframe, but then the realization that it was a shi**y pack that is grossly complicated and OVERWEIGHT empty caused many of these to go by the wayside.

just to give you a clue I sold off a main ruck NEW for just over 200.00

there are 4 external pockets, without which the pack does take on a slightly Phallic appearance
about the only good things that were useful out of the entire set were the comp bags and the buttpack

Why they used a vinyl/fake hypalon material on this pack is beyond me, but I am not questioning it as someone else is now suffereing under it, for this pack has truly earned that moniker of "Evil Green Life Sucking Leech"

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:37:59 PM EDT
OK folks. I personally like the UM21 system because it can be adjusted in any imaginable way to fit the person carrying it. Only caveat is the camouflage that makes it look like a traffic sign and draws too much attention if used in urban environment.

Back to the original question: Anyone has a photo or diagram showing how to attacht the patrol pack to the backpack?

Just tuck it under the compression mat and nothing else? Can it be tucked there full or has to be empty?

Thanks again.
Top Top