Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 3:22:02 PM EDT
I have several old shotguns that I would like to get cut down into handy tractor guns and I was wondering if I could get them threaded for chokes. what would be the cost of getting it done?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have several old shotguns that I would like to get cut down into handy tractor guns and I was wondering if I could get them threaded for chokes. what would be the cost of getting it done?
View Quote

Ping @Guncat (Rose Action Sports).  He does good work for a fair price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's probably possible to get them threaded for choke tubes but probably not REMINGTON choke tubes. Typically, some sort of thin-wall choke tubes are used when threading a barrel that was not originally intended for choke tubes. The guy I use charges $55 per barrel to cut the threads. The tubes themselves are additional, of course.

I'm wondering what you think you're going to shoot with a "tractor gun" that you need interchangeable chokes for. A cylinder bore shotgun will give decent patterns out to about 30 yards or so. Are you going to be shooting targets farther than that with your tractor gun?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's probably possible to get them threaded for choke tubes but probably not REMINGTON choke tubes. Typically, some sort of thin-wall choke tubes are used when threading a barrel that was not originally intended for choke tubes. The guy I use charges $55 per barrel to cut the threads. The tubes themselves are additional, of course.

I'm wondering what you think you're going to shoot with a "tractor gun" that you need interchangeable chokes for. A cylinder bore shotgun will give decent patterns out to about 30 yards or so. Are you going to be shooting targets farther than that with your tractor gun?
View Quote
Remington is pretty much the standard when threading older shotguns. The thinwall comes into play in older double and occasional thin wall single barrel gun
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Remington is pretty much the standard when threading older shotguns.
View Quote
Maybe the OP can report back and tell us what he is able to get done. I'd be very surprised if it's Remington.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I would love to get my short 870 threaded for Remington chokes
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Like to have a full choke to shoot game with bird shot. I have always used a full choke. Buckshot or slug are an emergency use item for me, game loads put meat in the freezer.

I like old single barrels like the slim iver johnson Champion.  I am drawn to  off brand guns sold in general stores and catalogs back in the 50-70s. I actually buy them when I find them in bad shape.  I usually have less than 100 dollars in them.

I just like the idea of an iver johnson champion with a  with a 18" to 20" barrel with the ability to knock a squirrel from a tree at 120 feet just as well as my 32" turkeyshoot  match gun. You can hit a quartered squirrel or rabbit with a tight choke at quite some distance using low or mid dram game loads.

It would be short and handy for use on my cabless tractors, like a saddle or ring carbine. Think farmall 424 sized tractor.

I have done this for years with the plan to send them to a gun smith to get the stocks fitted to me and customize them to my likes.  

I mean they are vintage guns  that basically have no value due to their condition and lack of interest.. But the steel is great and wood is better than anything you will find on a cheap gun today. They are made of that old wartime great lakes ore.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Also check with Mike Orlen.   This price list is dated, but should give you an idea.     Mike gets great reviews for his work, both quality and turnaround time - not so much for his communication.  I'm told email is best.

Mike Orlen contact info
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Briley can do it on some guns if there's enough material in the barrel
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also check with Mike Orlen.   This price list is dated, but should give you an idea.     Mike gets great reviews for his work, both quality and turnaround time - not so much for his communication.  I'm told email is best.

Mike Orlen contact info
View Quote
Thank you very much Sir.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's solid reasoning.

My H&R Tamer is a 20" barrel with a modified choke from the factory. So I understand your "philosophy of use".

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/tamer.jpg
View Quote
It is a shame that they don't do the old slim wrested furniture any more.

It is like the folks designing stocks have never used one.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:09:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mike Orlen contact info
View Quote
Mike has threaded one gun for me and opened the chokes on at least a half dozen more. I never attempt to communicate with Mike. I just send him the barrels with a check. They come back a week or so later with the work performed expertly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Rose Action Sports did this one.  I'm not sure how old it is though.  Threaded for Mossberg chokes and had the sights put on.  It was a while ago, so I don't remember the cost.  I can tell you though if the price wasn't fair I'd remember that.

Barrel wall thickness is the only real concern.  Some old shotgun barrels are far from concentric, so while it may look good now once you cut it down there may not be enough metal on one side.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Rose Action Sports did this one.  I'm not sure how old it is though.  Threaded for Mossberg chokes and had the sights put on.  It was a while ago, so I don't remember the cost.  I can tell you though if the price wasn't fair I'd remember that.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11092/520a-244341.jpg

Barrel wall thickness is the only real concern.  Some old shotgun barrels are far from concentric, so while it may look good now once you cut it down there may not be enough metal on one side.
View Quote
Good to see you have the same ideas I do. That is beautiful, and exactly the sort of look I am talking about. That is just beautiful, you have a good eye.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked up an older H&R, had it threaded for remington chokes no problem.  Works great, and a wide variety of chokes.  I even have a cylinder bore "choke" that acts more like a thread protector.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top