Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2017 3:47:51 PM EDT
Anyone have experience with it?  I am in the market for a shotgun and have mostly narrowed down my choice to a 590a1 of some sort, but came across the TPS and it intrigued me. I realize the don't make them anymore, and that it is based on the Winchester 1300 series. I like oddball guns....

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's just a Winchester 1300 with an AR style sight and stock system, that's all. I believe they were even built by Winchester USA for FN when they were produced.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Oddball I get, but that thing looks tragic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's just a Winchester 1300 with an AR style sight and stock system, that's all. I believe they were even built by Winchester USA for FN when they were produced.
View Quote
FN owns Winchester.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Currently two for sale on Armslist country wide, neither owner will ship. Might have to reach out to the EE here and see if I can find a safe queen.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Currently two for sale on Armslist country wide, neither owner will ship. Might have to reach out to the EE here and see if I can find a safe queen.
View Quote
Did you see the one in Cleveland? Pricey though.

There is a couple on gun broker to, you have to search FN police. People listing them as tactical police shotgun, also spendy

Armslist link
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is a couple on gun broker to, you have to search FN police. People listing them as tactical police shotgun, also spendy

Armslist link
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Armslist link
Thanks for the info. 700 is a little more than I am willing to pay for one. Going to keep searching. Appreciate the info on search terms.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]
you can setup a 590 pretty much the same way...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is there a setup for a 590 that you can have the A2 style sights? After adding the stuff to a 590, you will probably have just as much money into it, with sights, stock, and barrel porting. Even with that it won't be an FN TPS which is a factory gun that is neat and collectible to some people, reason for the premium.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a setup for a 590 that you can have the A2 style sights? After adding the stuff to a 590, you will probably have just as much money into it, with sights, stock, and barrel porting. Even with that it won't be an FN TPS which is a factory gun that is neat and collectible to some people, reason for the premium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, the "neat" factor is pretty cool for me and since it is based on the tried and trued Winchester 1300 platform I know it'll run. That said I am really not willing to pay more than 5-600 for one. I am in no hurry and am going to keep searching to see what I can find. The 590a1 SPX is pretty high on my list as well if I can't find a TPS for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FN owns Winchester.
View Quote
They shut down the New Haven Winchester plant in 2006 where the TPS and the 1300 were made. They owned USRAC (since 1989) yes but that's gone, Winchester is just a name they apply to Miroku built products now. They have a newer 1300 based shotgun called the P-12 that's made overseas but it isn't a Winchester either. They kept the Model 70 factory line up for awhile producing the Tactical Police Rifle for FN but I'm not sure that's around anymore either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Only thing I don't like about my FN tactical shotgun is that there is only one pin holding the trigger group. The front of the trigger group is hinged. Why this is an issue is all the aftermarket sidesaddle shotgun shell carriers are designed for 2 pins. Only thing I could make work are the stretch bands shell carrier which I don't like,  or the glue on Velcro carrier which has worked ok. Don't know about all FN shotguns but my pump action made like the Winchester version has only one pin to hold the trigger group.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info on the TPS guys, I was tossing around a few different shotguns to get and found a great deal on a Beretta 1201FP w/LPA sights today and pulled the trigger on it. Should be here later this week
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd trust my life to benelli over that any day

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:36:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info on the TPS guys, I was tossing around a few different shotguns to get and found a great deal on a Beretta 1201FP w/LPA sights today and pulled the trigger on it. Should be here later this week
View Quote
1201 is a great gun, light and fast cycling. Basically same action as the Benelli M1S90. A few parts will even swap. I've put alot of rounds through a 1201 and the M1. If it doesn't already have a Limbsaver pad, get one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#16]
There's nothing wrong with Winchester 1200 and 1300 series shotguns as a matter of fact they are probably the fastest cycling pump shotguns ever mass produced. The bolt is designed to assist the action in opening. I've seen ones with thousands of rounds through them without issue. The 1200 was even a US military martial shotgun for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

1201 is a great gun, light and fast cycling. Basically same action as the Benelli M1S90. A few parts will even swap. I've put alot of rounds through a 1201 and the M1. If it doesn't already have a Limbsaver pad, get one.
View Quote
The one I bought has a new Benelli M1 stock on it, not sure if that included a limbsaver or not (pic from ad, I get it in hand tomorrow)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The one I bought has a new Benelli M1 stock on it, not sure if that included a limbsaver or not (pic from ad, I get it in hand tomorrow)

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/288011/20170813_141613-305659.JPG
View Quote
If it doesn't have the limbsaver, it's an even easier find for the M1 stock. The stock pad on the Benelli stocks is better than the lousy buttplate that came on the Beretta stocks but the Limbsaver makes volume shooting high brass alot more comfortable.

https://www.nokick.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=ls+10401&404;https://www.nokick.com:443/Limbsaver_Precision_Fit_Pad_Benelli_p/ls10401.htm=

Great looking gun, you'll enjoy it and the LPA sights!
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
What about a used 1300 on gunbroker?? I know it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but would be an equally good shotgun. Good mod it yourself if your ok with that. People saying the FN is ugly but the Nova looks like some space alien gun. Think its the forend I don't like.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't have first hand experience but I believe the FN/Win pump guns fire the mini shells without the need for any adapter.  So they have that going for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top