Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2014 10:50:25 PM EDT
I am currently involved in a project that may be of interest to y'all. And by y'all, I mean lovers of all things involving social shotguns, because to my mind, nothing says "Your argument has no merit." like a shotgun. To that end, I have always had a soft spot for repeating scatterguns that break down into two easily transportable sections. My wife recently reclaimed a Winchester Model 12 from a relative that was her father's. It was in good shape, with a birth date of 1940, but it had a full choked thirty inch barrel. Too long for a social gun. I tried to see if she was amenable to me having it cut down.
"Absolutely not!" was her reaction when I broached the subject. That settled that, so I started casting about for other possible pump guns that would fit my requirements. I happened upon this topic, and it sealed the deal: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1624959_Only_had__20_at_garage_sale__saw_this_in_corner____gun_thread___Rust_removal_p2__progress_p3.html
I had to have one! Luckily for me, one of my sons-in-law works for a large pawn brokerage chain headquartered here in Texas, so I asked him to see if any local stores had a Stevens 620 in inventory. He checked with an office mate who was in charge of shootin' irons for said brokerage and he said he would look. He found one quite a ways away from me but still in the DFW metroplex. I called the store manager and explained my situation. My luck was still holding as he confirmed that yes, the shotgun was still in stock. Yes, the gun was a 12 bore, and it was priced at $179. 95 which was quite a bit less than what they had in it. I asked what kind of shape it was in, and he said probably 70%, but that I should really look at it myself.
So a few days later, after calling and confirming they still had the gun, I made the long sojourn halfway to hell and back (approximately 40 intensively urban miles) and was rewarded by walking out the door having settled on $150+tax for a pretty clean example of a Stevens 620:

This was to be the Genesis of my plan. After a couple of more weeks, I took the gun over to Panther City Arms,
http://www.yelp.com/biz/panther-city-firearms-fort-worth
and presented him with this list of work I wanted done:
Cut 8 inches off of barrel.
Drill/tap barrel for .140 Silver 6-48 bead
Shorten buttstock and install Kick Eeze black grind to fit Sporting Clay pad so that buttstock is same length or shorter
Drill buttstock and install sling swivel stud
Drill/tap magazine plug to accept customer supplied sling point

I am presently waiting for him to call me to come pick it up. He has done good work for me in the past, and I have no qualms about taking my guns to him.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I was looking around for a suitable method of transporting this thing once I got it configured to my specifications. So I queried the experts: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/426590_Who_would_you_contact_for_a_one_off_custom_soft_case_.html
they gave me some ideas, and I settled on this:
http://www.bagmaster.com/cart/products/371/Takedown%20Weapon%20Case%2025.htm

I also ordered a few of these:
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Horizontal-Shotgun-6rnd-Panel-17p1148.htm

I was looking for the Esstac panels, but no one had them in stock. So I bought these and had some velcro sewn onto the backs.

I know some of you might be asking why I'm sinking so much time, effort, and cash into this endeavor, and you would be right to do so. I'm retired. I've seen a lot, and fired a lot of guns, but I really like tinkering with a gun to make it both unique and truly mine. Besides, this is Murica, by golly, and this is my pursuit of happiness. That and 12 gauge is one of the few things that are available, and somewhat reasonably priced.
So I will be updating this thread when I get the gun back from the 'smith as well as doing a range report at my earliest convenience. Have fun and don't make a mess, Mark
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
can't wait for the results.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've bought three guns for similar projects so far this year.  Two Stevens 520s and a Savage 1921.  Picked up the latest 520 for $125 OTD from the used rack of a gunshop that's usually too high on everything.    

I'm planning to use either the Folding Takedown Case, or the Flat Takedown Case from HERE.

And planning to pick up a couple of THESE based in part from THIS thread.

Been too busy to really dive into the projects yet though....
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Subscribed. I'm particularly interested to see how you mount the front sling swivel.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subscribed. I'm particularly interested to see how you mount the front sling swivel.

View Quote

I'm having the magazine plug drilled and tapped (horizontally as you're holding the gun) so that the sling mount can be removed in order to be able to access the screw that anchors the magazine tube to the barrel lug. I'll post a pic when I get it back.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Funny, I just cut 8" off a 30" 1950's Savage 311 and 1" off the stock.  This thread reminded me I need to order a grind to fit Kickeeze.  I plan to do a Model 12 and 870 as well so I have a couple old school backup Grouse guns and truck guns.  I thought about epoxy mounting a sling mount under the barrels just ahead of the front stock on the 311.  I already found an old 30" Wingmaster for $160 and had a cut down Express stock laying around to toss on it.  Just need to cut the barrel.

I don't want to hijack your thread so I wont put in any pics but I like your thinking.  The 311 is special because it was my Dad's and it basically was hardly been shot for 60 years.  We nicknamed it "Mule Skinner" back i the 70's.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I too bought a Stevens 620 with the intention of chopping the barrel.
Thing is, the gun I picked up is so nice I feal guilty about cutting it.
It's practically unfired.

The guilt will pass; I have no use for it with the long barrel.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it back from the smith today! Pictures tomorrow!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in the middle of refinishing mine so I'm very interested to see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have, and will continue to have, the TM9_285_1942 SHOTGUNS, ALL TYPES which is a military Technical Manual for WW2 era shotguns available to anyone who wants me to send it to them. It has extensive pictures of the Stevens 520/620 guns, as well as the Ithaca 37, the Winchester M97 and M12, Remington M10. M11, and M31, and also the Savage M720. It has maintenance procedures, assembly/disassembly, and troubleshooting information. It was supposed to be hosted on site, but other things took priority I guess, so if you need it, email me.

Edit: It's in PDF format, and did I mention the best part? It's free. Gratis. No charge. Your money is no good here, etc.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Can I get a drum roll, please?

Purrrty!

Bring enough for everybody!

Nothing says "Your argument is invalid." like a shotgun!

Just in case, case.

Close-up of front sling mount

In most of it's glory.

Note the Kick Eez

Now, to find some shit to fuck up.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!  

Gotta get off my ass and get my 520 done!  My plan is very similar to yours, although I hadn't considered drilling and tapping the mag end for a sling mount.  I'll have to look into that.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I need a case like that for my 1890!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
The ultimate break down shotgun.  Nice
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of these and use bags from Skinner's sights. They make a nice bag that looks like anything but, a take down shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a couple of these and use bags from Skinner's sights. They make a nice bag that looks like anything but, a take down shotgun.
View Quote

That's the one I plan to use, and that I posted a link to above (third post).

Which version Skinner bag do you use?  And, how do you like it?  Anything I should be aware of before ordering?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Cant get enough of those classic Steven's Shotguns.

Here is my Trio.  All faux trench shotguns made from mostly abandoned lonely parts guns.  Still shoot great.  Still looking for an early 620 stock with the long tang!  Lots of variations of these out there.

" />
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Sweet looking trio!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet ass!  I need to get a bag like that for my 520 Riot.

ETA : IM inbound for the manual.

cherenkov: can you measure the bayonet mount on your 520 and give me the length of the barrel clamp portion?  I'm thinking of adding one to my 520 and need to know if I have enough barrel (20.5").  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Found a glitch and fixed it tonight.

When disassembled, the front edge of the receiver was catching when I inserted it into the case. I was having to cup the front of the receiver with my hand and feed the receiver front, and my arm, all the way into the end of the case pocket to keep it from snagging. I had a flash in the afternoon, (Frank Zappa fans will get this) a flash of inspiration, that is.

Since I make my own Kydex holsters, I have Kydex of various sizes and colors on hand. I cut some black Kydex about 2&1/4" wide by 12' long. I put the heat gun to it, and bent it into a U shape towards one end. I then sanded all the sharp edges off of it, and put some of the self-stick Velcro on the big inside edge. Now I can place the nose of the receiver on the inside of the U part of the Kydex, and mate the Velcro with the strip that is on the side of the receiver for the shell carrier. It is smooth all the way in, and the Velco keeps it in place on the way out. Problem solved, problem staying solved!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 520 that I chopped and stuffed it into a cheap paintball case.  I like your case a lot.  I just found a 620 online and hooked a friend up with that.   They are hidden gems for sure.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a 520 that I chopped and stuffed it into a cheap paintball case.  I like your case a lot.  I just found a 620 online and hooked a friend up with that.   They are hidden gems for sure.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/supercrewd/Guns%20and%20Ammo/Guns/E4B6D75B-4824-4378-8F7C-6893DBEDEB81_zpssvphw4sv.jpg
View Quote

Looks very good to me. I agree.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been trying to locate an old tennis racket case so I can test fit my 520 and Model 10 for the ultimate in concealment.  Anybody try this?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've been trying to locate an old tennis racket case so I can test fit my 520 and Model 10 for the ultimate in concealment.  Anybody try this?
View Quote

No, but I keep my semiauto uzi in a tennis racket case, 520/620 should fit depending on how long the barrel is.  Semi-auto uzi is about 25 inches long with stock folded.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm...a 620 just popped up on the local forum
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know you want to.
Edit: Let me know if you want the manual. It's free.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You know you want to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

How do we go about getting  copy of the manual?  I emailed you after you posted about it above, but never heard back....
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do we go about getting  copy of the manual?  I emailed you after you posted about it above, but never heard back....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

It's on the web at a few places.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/wwiitms/TM9_285_1942.pdf
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

Awesome!  Thanks for the link.  I love old WWII era things of this nature.

Nothing to do with shotguns but for those that enjoy historical pieces check out these War Dept. training videos:

https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1

There's actually two videos for over 2 hours total play time, but the above link will take you to the page for both of them.  You can view them online or save them.

Or...

https://archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_the_M1_Rifle
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

If I didn't answer, it's because I never got it. You got the manual, that's what's important.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You know you want to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

it's not as nice as yours, but I got it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you want to.

Good for you! Enjoy, Mark
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Question for you Mark:  does the slide unlock under recoil?  Mine seems to need some forward pressure otherwise it locks up and I can't cycle the pump.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, you need to pull the slide forward prior to pulling it back. It was a safety feature because in actual use the recoil would pull the gun backward and your hand forward, so you wouldn't notice it. Winchester Model 12's do it also.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Keep in mine these slam fire.  Just putting it out there so you don't get a surprise when you load it up and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Keep in mine these slam fire.  Just putting it out there so you don't get a surprise when you load it up and shoot it.
View Quote

Like the early Ithaca 37's.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Or the Stevens 520...
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Or the Savage 1921...
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Or the Winchester Model 12.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Or the '97 Winchester

Or the Remington Model 10
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Speaking of 620's.....

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I saw that one and had to hold baby Jesus while he cried it out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 12:50:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Chopped the barrel down to 18.5" over the weekend.  Can't decide on what to do for a bead.  Something traditional, or more modern?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Chopped the barrel down to 18.5" over the weekend.  Can't decide on what to do for a bead.  Something traditional, or more modern?
View Quote

Go with what you think would be better for you.  I went with rifle sights on my 520.

I got the idea due to a pic of a 620 with sights.

I wanted this 620 to look like the old riot guns so I went with the simple bead.  Some day I'll take one of the spares and make a trench gun clone.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Wow, that 520 looks great.  Are those 870 rifle sights?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I cut the front base down as they are really long and I would not have been able to fit it on there with sling mount set up I decided to use.

I didn't trust myself to install them though so I brought the gun to Rose Action Sports.  Steve also threaded the barrel for Mossberg chokes.  He does great work for a fair price and a fast turn around.

A Western Field model 30 with Remington sights and Mossberg chokes.

Makes for a small package.  Pic was before barrel work.  The barrel is about 18.25"  

The front ends can be swapped around as well if I ever feel like it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, I cut the front base down as they are really long and I would not have been able to fit it on there with sling mount set up I decided to use.

I didn't trust myself to install them though so I brought the gun to Rose Action Sports.  Steve also threaded the barrel for Mossberg chokes.  He does great work for a fair price and a fast turn around.

Makes for a small package.  Pic was before barrel work.  The barrel is about 18.25"  
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp543%3A7%3Enu%3D92%3C6%3E46%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3638%3A29%3B7334%3Anu0mrj

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp543%3A7%3Enu%3D92%3C6%3E46%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3638%3A29%3B7334%3Anu0mrj

I have a couple of old takedowns that I plan as winter projects.  Can you share how you set up your front sling mount?  What barrel band is that, and what swivel did you use with it?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a couple of old takedowns that I plan as winter projects.  Can you share how you set up your front sling mount?  What barrel band is that, and what swivel did you use with it?

Thanks,
View Quote

Swivel Loop Band

Swivel Band Screw

It was for a single barrel savage if I remember correctly.
The front sling swivel and rear was from a 1903.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Swivel Loop Band

Swivel Band Screw

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Swivel Loop Band

Swivel Band Screw

Thank you, I have been looking for a sling solution and you just gave it to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Swivel Loop Band

Swivel Band Screw

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Swivel Loop Band

Swivel Band Screw

Oddly enough, I think I have that exact barrel band and screw.  I picked it up for another project and never used it.  Maybe it'll find a home on my 520 instead.  

I'd sorta like to use some form of quick disconnects on both ends of the sling though, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to best accomplish this, in combination with the barrel band, please share them.  I'm not real savvy on all the sling and sling connection methods but I do like the flexibility to remove and replace a sling easily and quickly.  But, I also like the style of inletted, double screw, stock mount like that used on the 1903 and others, rather than the commercial single screw "stud" type.  Is there a particular sling style I should be looking at?  Something secure, but still allowing quick removal from the more permanently mounted military style swivels?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top