Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2010 11:19:13 PM EDT
Been looking at buying a shotgun and I've narrowed it down to two that I like, both Benelli's, but can't decide which will fit me best. One is the Super nova tactical w/grip, the other is of course the M4 tactical. I've got the money to drop, but I've been questioning myself on whether the auto is really worth the extra cash. Around here the cheapest Nova's I've seen go for about 499, the M4, 1600, thats not including the benelli rebate going on right now. And for that money I could buy the Nova, a PSS & a new pistol all at the same time... one is none two is one and all that... but is the M4 really much more awesome than the pump to justify its expense?

One concern for me about the pump is that I injured my left shoulder last Dec, and its been a long recovery, and I've managed to re-injure it while playing softball last June, almost to the point of not being able to use my left arm. And since I'm a right handed shooter, the factor of using my left arm to pump the shotgun plays a role as well, but I've yet to shoot the Nova, so I can't say for certain how taxing it would be on my shoulder to operate it. Currently it feels 100%, but its one of those factors that play in the back of my mind...

Advice?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Benelli is known for it's auto shotguns. And since you hurt your shoulder before, that could make it harder to operate a pump action. So I would go with the Benelli M4 auto, it's really an awesome shotgun too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear that the comfortech on the Novas are great. I have a Benelli M4 myself. I' am left handed and have no problem shooting it that way, or any other firearm left handed for that matter. The M4 does have a hard rubber pad, but I do notice that the gas system does take some of the recoil out. The M4 may be pricey, but in my opinion it is worth it. The M4 has excellent reliability, and the ability to handle any load without adjustment. The FN SLP is not a bad choice either and so is the Mossberg 930, but the M4 is probably the best choice of all tacticool semi-autos in my opinion.

Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:03:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I am taking a brand new Stoeger 2000 to the range today for its first run.  It is semi-auto 4+1 generic version of Bennelli.  Got it for $380 NIB.  I will post how it ran later.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the Beretta auto's. The 390 is a good shotgun and not to expensive. For a little more the 391.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an M4 and love it.  If you've got the coin to drop I would do the auto.  You will find that the automatic kicks a little less because some of the energy is absorbed cycling the shotgun.  For me, there is something cool about using the same shotgun the U.S. Marines and joint service soldiers are using.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
M2 FIELD 12-GAUGE 2-3/4" AND 3" 11026 21" Synthetic $1319 and forget the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 2:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am taking a brand new Stoeger 2000 to the range today for its first run.  It is semi-auto 4+1 generic version of Bennelli.  Got it for $380 NIB.  I will post how it ran later.

The Stoeger ran like a champ today with zero problems (other than I forgot to take the plug out so I could only shoot 3 rounds).  It shot bird, buck and slugs alternating each and had zero problems.  Really happy with the shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
my M4 is softer shooting then my m1 and my M2 and they are softer then my Berretta

just saying
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input, I'm leaning more toward the M4!

For you M4 owners, do you have the full capacity tube replacement on yours? What is the legality? I've researched it a little bit, but there is some strong contradiction about it being legal or not, and the fact being that this will be in CA I'd hate to be on the wrong side of the law.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Carrier Comp FL Titanium mag tube and love it.  It shaves 1/2# off the front end of the gun.  Legally, 922r states that imported shotguns cannot have a capacity of more than 5 with a pistol grip.  Kip from Carrier Comp is a real stand up guy and a great resource to talk with about that.  Apparently 922r is very vague and is subject to interpretation. There is another thread on here that speaks to that very thing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy the M4.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Super Black Eagle I.  It does NOT like light loads!

Shooting 7.5's or 8's, it won't cycle completely.  7's and larger are fine.  Not a huge deal since I mostly hunt waterfowl with it, but trap sessions are a pain.  I don't know if the M4 has any of these problems, but it's something to look in to.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shooting 7.5's or 8's, it won't cycle completely.  7's and larger are fine.  Not a huge deal since I mostly hunt waterfowl with it, but trap sessions are a pain.  I don't know if the M4 has any of these problems, but it's something to look in to.

hmm...honestly, this is a rarer occurance in Benelli's.  I've had a shooting squad member run both an M2 and M4 and both cycled walmart grade ammo with no problems ever...mossy's and remmi's are more prone to that.  
You could always take it to a gunsmithand have him do a quick little bit of work on the action to increase functionality.  MANY MANY MANY competetive shooters have this done to increase weapon reliability.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm...honestly, this is a rarer occurance in Benelli's.  I've had a shooting squad member run both an M2 and M4 and both cycled walmart grade ammo with no problems ever...mossy's and remmi's are more prone to that.  
You could always take it to a gunsmithand have him do a quick little bit of work on the action to increase functionality.  MANY MANY MANY competetive shooters have this done to increase weapon reliability.

It's surprising really.  The bolt and tension are quite loose.  (ie. I could slam the butt on the ground and get a full cycle rearward.)  My Rem 11-87 doesn't have any problems, but I'll give that to the actual gas system of the weapon.  

The Benelli though, while it's my favorite gun for everything waterfowl, just doesn't seem to want to cycle light loads.  I just attributed this to the inertia driven system.  Am I wrong on this?!
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
You are not wrong.  The inertia systems don't like light loads or added weight from accessories. I ran into that on my M1S90 when installing a flashlight.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's surprising really.  The bolt and tension are quite loose.  (ie. I could slam the butt on the ground and get a full cycle rearward.)  My Rem 11-87 doesn't have any problems, but I'll give that to the actual gas system of the weapon.  

The Benelli though, while it's my favorite gun for everything waterfowl, just doesn't seem to want to cycle light loads.  I just attributed this to the inertia driven system.  Am I wrong on this?!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Still haven't got around to dropping the cash on an M4...

I've been looking at a Mossberg 930 spx and wondering how well that compares to the benelli... I know, price is a huge difference so quality factors in somewhere... but I'm curious to hear from any 930 owners.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]
As someone above posted, the FN SLP is another option.  I personally went with the SLP over the M4 for the increased capacity and the $600 cheaper price tag.  I am able to double tap the SLP with Federal 00 Buck and 1oz slugs.  The recoil dampening is simply amazing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:10:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Benelli M3. Best of both worlds
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:16:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought about the SLP also, but only one I've found so far is $1179. The 930 SX is attractive at $599, but I can't find much about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
M2 FIELD 12-GAUGE 2-3/4" AND 3" 11026 21" Synthetic $1319 and forget the pistol grip.

This is the correct answer. Just add a Nordic tube for 8 in the tube and one in the chamber.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I been looking at these as well but I just can't convince myself that the Benelli is worth the Money the price tag says .

I'm lookin at the Siaga 12 ga . $500 NIB .  w 19" barrel and rifle sights .
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#22]
saiga 12.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I been looking at these as well but I just can't convince myself that the Benelli is worth the Money the price tag says .

I'm lookin at the Siaga 12 ga . $500 NIB .  w 19" barrel and rifle sights .

That's fine if you don't plan on 3- gun....

Put's you in open.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you decide, you get what you pay for and I would stay clear of the 930SPX.  If you read the feedback here in the shotgun forum, they are more miss than hit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I rechecked the store ad, it actually says 930 SX. Is it possibly a newer model? I see some onlie shops with the same model, so it probably isn't a typo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Pump without question
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top