Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2010 6:40:13 PM EDT
Ok, I noticed something ODD with my 930SPX today.  I shot it with slugs for the first time today, and at 40 Yards it is about 2 feet high with the rear sight cranked down as far as it would go.  There seems to be a small amount of adjustment in the front sight, but not nearly enough.  Help?
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]
you should read this thread and figure out if you have the new barrel <front sight post> style ... or the old style.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6388780

if you have the old style, it could explain the incorrect POI

old on left ... new on right

Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a ton off adjustment in the front...trust me, mine is pretty close to sticking up through the top to get it zeroed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I'll look at mine...
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck.  Mine is the older style on the left above.  They made me pay to send it in, then returned the barrel months later with some photocopy of a target showing that it hit the center of some target at some range.  They've since ignored all communication from me, and I can't adjust the sights within 4 inches of the bullseye at 25 yards.

F U Mossberg.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you should read this thread and figure out if you have the new barrel <front sight post> style ... or the old style.

http://highxj.home.bresnan.net/Img_1145.jpg

Actually, the one on the left is the "fixed" old production sight tower.  
This is what the original production run sights looked like:

It is basically the sight on the left without the .25" or so pedestal.
The high POI issues comes up with some guns.  Quite a few.
There is enough play in the tolerances between the receiver, the rail, the rear sight assembly, the barrel, and the front sight tower that some people will not be albe to zero their shotgun, even with the front sight adjustment.  Others won't have any problem at all.
Last summer, Mossberg started coming out with the foot that the front sight tower sits on.  That should correct all high POI issues.
If you're shooting high, try to adjust the front sight blade by pushing the rear of the blade down while turning the adjustment screw at the front.  I can't remember what size it is, but it is very small.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good luck.  Mine is the older style on the left above.  They made me pay to send it in, then returned the barrel months later with some photocopy of a target showing that it hit the center of some target at some range.  They've since ignored all communication from me, and I can't adjust the sights within 4 inches of the bullseye at 25 yards.

F U Mossberg.

That's seriously screwed.  Mossberg messed up bad with this problem, and it was something they knew was wrong and did little to fix.  What they did do was screwed up in a lot of cases, such as yours.
I wish I had known you were having problems before you sent it in.  The best way for dealing with them is to talk to a supervisor straight from the start.  Document everything, and make sure they pay for shipping on everything.  Get tracking numbers and dates from them, and keep calling back to speak with the same guy.  Be polite and be persistent, and try to get them to ship you any damaged/defective parts without you having to send anything in first.  Like I said, these are widely known problems so it isn't something they should have to test.  Stay on them, and hold them to committments.  This is the only thing that I've seen that has worked on a consistent basis when dealing with Eagle Pass.
Fiz, I don't blame you for being pissed at them, and I would be too.  They've pissed off a lot of people and shot whatever potential the SPX had in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It's unfortunate how Mossberg dealt with the 930 SPX.  IMO it's a great alternative to the overpriced tactical autos.  It could have had A LOT of success if Mossberg stood behind their product...

Mine has been fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2010 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://highxj.home.bresnan.net/Img_1145.jpg

Sorry for the delay... I have the NEW style... or is that the old.. I have the style without the spacer, like the one on the right..
Link Posted: 6/9/2010 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
You need the spacer. I did. Mossberg will fix it for you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

F U Mossberg.

AT least you were able to get them to communicate with you initially.........I cannot even get them to talk to me, period. I honestly believe the best thing to do with my 930SPX is to sell it, and go back to a Rem 870 or Moss 500.

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

F U Mossberg.

AT least you were able to get them to communicate with you initially.........I cannot even get them to talk to me, period. I honestly believe the best thing to do with my 930SPX is to sell it, and go back to a Rem 870 or Moss 500.

Did you call them and they refused to talk to you?

People these days forget there is more than email. I called them and everything was settled with a 2 minute conversation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

F U Mossberg.

Did you call them and they refused to talk to you?

People these days forget there is more than email. I called them and everything was settled with a 2 minute conversation.

I did call. (Multiple times.) To be honest, I got kinda tired of being put on hold, then nobody ever picking up to talk to me. This happened several times over a period of about 3 weeks, then I said to hell with it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I am going to call again this week and see if I can be a little more patient. I really like this weapon, but the headache of dealing with the B.S. is getting to where it's hardly worth it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Try this number maybe? 800-363-3555.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Try this number maybe? 800-363-3555.

I'll try this number and see if I have better luck. Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Update:

Ok, I am not always as observant as I should be...

I didn't realize that the star shaped screw in front of the sight was an adjustment screw, I thought it just held things in. As it turns out, there IS a ridiculus amount of adjustment there.  I have the front fiber optic at almost 40 degrees and it is perfect at 50Y.  Thanks for the replies, hope the other guys that are having problems get a good resolution..
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update:

Ok, I am not always as observant as I should be...

I didn't realize that the star shaped screw in front of the sight was an adjustment screw, I thought it just held things in. As it turns out, there IS a ridiculus amount of adjustment there.  I have the front fiber optic at almost 40 degrees and it is perfect at 50Y.  Thanks for the replies, hope the other guys that are having problems get a good resolution..

That's why I mentioned it in my post above and in my review of it.  For some reason Mossberg does not have any documentation on adjustment and values for the front and rear sights.  It does not even mention the LPA sights in the manual at all.
Given that they don't have the adjustment values for their GRS in the 590 manuals, I guess it isn't that surprising.
Don't feel too unique.  There are a lot of people that don't realize the front sight is adjustable which is why I put it in my review.
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I just purchased a new 930 SPX, but have not had the chance to shoot it.  Thanks to the pics above, I know that I have the earliest version of the front site.  I don't have a canting issue and I hope I don't have a POI issue when I get to the range with some slugs.  I am wondering if the zero distance could impact how much adjustment is required?  The slug trajectory is pretty loopy.  The hightest point of trajectory is at about 50 yards - if sighted in for a longer distance not as much upward adjustment would be needed.

M24, since you have the same version front site (at least in the pic above), were you able to find enough adjustment for slugs and what range did you use for your zero?

Thanks,

KLR
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I've zeroed it at 50 and 75 yards. As long as the sight can be zeroed, I'm not worried about how much adjustment is left.
It was explained to me that there is enough variation in the front sight height, the rear sight, the Pic rail, the barrel top edge, and the receiver top edge that some sights have enough adjustment to zero, and some don't.  Again, since Mossberg did such a crappy job of getting the info out there that the front sight was even adjustable, I don't know if Mossberg even knows how many actually ran out of adjustment and how many owners didn't even know they could adjust the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I finally got my SPX to the range.  Based upon what I'd read I expecting my 1st version barrel to shoot high at 25 yards.  I wasn't disappointed - it shot six inches high with the rear sight cranked to the limit.

Fortunately I found Mossberg service to be outstanding.  I called and talked with a service representative (Joe) who told me to pack up the barrel and send it in and they would send me a new replacement barrel.  Two weeks after I sent it in, I received my new barrel.  The new barrel is the third version with the taller front site (no spacer piece).  I could be mistaken but I think the new barrel is also thicker than the old barrel.  It looks thicker from the muzzle and feels a bit heftier.  I am completely pleased with this service I received from Mossberg: the phone agent was excellent, the return time was great and they completely backed up their warranty.

Good to go again.

Out
West
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What telephone number did you use ?  Thanks !
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I used the main Customer Service number from Mossberg's website:  (800) 363-3555 .  You may have to hold for a few minutes, but once you get though the people are very helpful.  Good luck.

Out
West
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top