Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 9:38:38 PM EDT
Of course this is open to everyone

I ordered a Remington 870 HD Model (18" BBL, +2 Extentsion, Synthetic) the other day, and I have one question about slings. When I get it, the first thing going on is a Speedfeed IV-S stock because I am used to a pistol grip, and the shorted length is great for me.

This leads me to the question, what exactly do I need for a sling? I THINK that the Speedfeed comes with a predrilled hole for a sling stud, but what about the front stud? Where does it need to attach, and what are my options? This is the only thing I am completely in the dark about doing to my shotgun when it comes in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
On the front, since you have the factory magazine extension, you have choices:

One is to buy a Remington side mount swivel stud that replaces the standard extension clamp mounting screw.
This is just a clamp screw with a swivel hole in the head for a quick detach swivel.
I saw some years ago that had a swivel loop in the head, similar to the setup Choate uses.

Two, is to attach a swivel to the bottom of the clamp.  Some clamps come with a mounting stud already riveted in place.
You can buy a stud from Remington and probably from Uncle Mike's and rivet it in yourself.
Then you just attach a quick detach swivel into the hole in the stud.

Three, (My favorite) is to buy a Uncle Mike's Push Button sling swivel.  This simply snaps into the large hole that's in the bottom of the clamp.
Here's the type needed:
www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004408&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000188

I like this setup because there isn't a stud sticking out of the clamp to snag stuff, and the snap-in Push Button swivel is a "cleaner" setup.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I got an email from Speedfeed, and they told me that I have to use a 1/2 stud and it is located here www.billdavislv.com/shotgun_products2.htm

Will I have to use this for the stock stud, or could I use the Uncle Mike's push studs?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're going to use the Uncle Mike's Push Button studs, you'll have to bore a much larger hole in the stock.  Make sure you have enough room inside, and enough profile outside to sink it flush.

The only problem with the Push Button studs are, these new versions are glued in, and you may have trouble getting any glue to stick to a synthetic (plastic) stock material.

The older Push Button studs had a mounting screw that passed through the stud and into the stock.
Possibly Uncle Mike's still has these, so you may want to email them and ask.  
They're good about email customer service.

There were two types of screws for these, the rear was a standard wood screw, the front was a machine screw with a internal nut.  
This would work well for a hollow buttstock since you might be able to attach the nut from inside the stock.

Otherwise, email Speedfeed and ask about suitable glues.

If you decide to go with the Speedfeed stud, you might take a look at Uncle Mike's Military-spec swivels:

http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?
invky=9008332&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000117

You CAN use the Push Button on the front and a standard QD on the rear, or you can just get a QD stud made for the Remington extension clamp and rivet in place on the bottom of the clamp, then use the Mil-spec swivels.

You might want to wait until you get the gun, so you can check and see if the clamp comes with the stud already attached.

Here's Uncle Mike's copy of the Remington factory clamp.  Note the sling swivel stud mounted in the bottom.
If your gun's clamp doesn't have the stud, you can buy the stud from Remington, OR ask Uncle Mike's, since I'm sure they'll be able to sell you one.
www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004490&catky=1465723&subcatky1=4548843&subcatky2=2000180
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the plate adapter that goes between the receiver and the stock.  And use a single point sling.  Its very useful and simple that way
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get the plate adapter that goes between the receiver and the stock.  And use a single point sling.  Its very useful and simple that way

I want to go with a single point sling, but I have a few questions about the plate adapters. On the rear plate, does it have to fit a certain stock? On the front plate, will an extended magazine get in the way? Some pics could really help with the plate adapters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
On the front end, the thickness of the adapter plate reduces the number of threads for the extension coupling, and therefore reduces the strength of the extension.

I would assume that the rear adapter plate will fit any conventional type of stock, including the Speedfeed you're looking at.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.spectergear.com/mout_sling.htm
http://www.spectergear.com/slingacc.htm#sgnrst
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a stupid sling question.  I just got an 870P Max and it already has sling studs...Soo...What sling might you recommend that will fit the existing studs?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
On the front end, the thickness of the adapter plate reduces the number of threads for the extension coupling, and therefore reduces the strength of the extension.

Do you think that it would create a potential problem, even with use with a clamp? Granted this shotgun is mostly going to be used for very informal skeet, and HD use, but there is always the looming threat of a zombie outbreak

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
"Probably not", especially with the factory clamp.

The gun was designed to allow the mag cap or the extension coupling plenty of threads to screw down on, and I hate compromising anything you don't absolutely HAVE to.

In truth, I doubt you'd have any trouble.

GoingIncognito:
Most quick detachable sling swivels more or less have universal locking pins.
Most any swivels will fit the factory studs.
You simply pick the width and type of swivels you want to use, then pick a sling of the same width.
OR, you pick the sling you want to use, then pick the appropriate swivels.

As above, you might want to look at Uncle Mike's new Mil-spec studs:
www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9008332&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000117
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Probably not", especially with the factory clamp.

The gun was designed to allow the mag cap or the extension coupling plenty of threads to screw down on, and I hate compromising anything you don't absolutely HAVE to.

In truth, I doubt you'd have any trouble.

GoingIncognito:
Most quick detachable sling swivels more or less have universal locking pins.
Most any swivels will fit the factory studs.
You simply pick the width and type of swivels you want to use, then pick a sling of the same width.
OR, you pick the sling you want to use, then pick the appropriate swivels.

As above, you might want to look at Uncle Mike's new Mil-spec studs:
www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9008332&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000117

Will do, thanks much
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
On the front, since you have the factory magazine extension, you have choices:

One is to buy a Remington side mount swivel stud that replaces the standard extension clamp mounting screw.
This is just a clamp screw with a swivel hole in the head for a quick detach swivel.
I saw some years ago that had a swivel loop in the head, similar to the setup Choate uses.

Would you happen to know the part # for this? I contacted Remington and they told me that they don’t offer any such replacement.  I think this would be the ideal setup for my newly acquired 870 MAX. TIA.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
If they say they don't make one, they no longer make one.

The last one I saw was years ago, and I assumed they still made it.

It wouldn't be too big a chore to have a machine shop make a screw with a hole in the head for a quick detach swivel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top