Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
I just purchased a mid 80's Rem 1100 Magnum from another member on the EE.  The gun is in decent condition but I can not get it to cycle any 2 3/4" loads except for slugs.  It has a 26" vent rib barrel which was cut down to 18.5".  The action is pretty clean with no large deposits of carbon on the piston or in the port opening.  I have already ordered new springs for it from Wolff and I plan to replace the rubber "O" ring in the gas system before my next outing.  A few questions:

-The barrel is marked "3" shells", not 2 3/4" & 3" which is what I'm used to seeing.  Does this mean the barrel is not designed to function with 2 3/4"?

-I have heard about opening the gas port up a bit, is this an option that might resolve the cycling problem?  If so, anyone know how to go about it?

-Did cutting the barrel down limit this barrel to 3" loads only?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am considering sending the barrel to Vang for a work over but am unsure if he would solve this issue or if I need to get it cycling properly before I send it.  Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

Phylodog
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is the gas ring.  If you don't form a good seal, you won't reliably cycle the action.

As for the barrel, it is likely from an 11/87, shouldn't have an affect as most parts are the same between the 1100 and 11/87, just don't run 3" rounds thru you 1100.

When I purchased mine, used, I took it to my smith and had him replace worn parts.  Cost me like $40.

I love my 1100.  Points well, easy follow up shots.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  My receiver is marked 1100 magnum so it should be OK with the 3" shells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top