Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
I have a Remington 1100 that I have been using to shoot 3 gun competitions.  I want install ghost ring sights because I'm looking for sights that allow for faster targeting.  The shotgun in its current configuration has these old real fine rifle sights that are great for hunting when you have time to line them, but don't allow for quick follow up shots.  So I want to install ghost rings sight on it, drillilng and tapping the receiver isn't a problem.  The problem is removing the old sights before install the new ones.  Does anyone know how Remington attached the rifle sights to the barrel, sodier, epoxy. or something else?  The other option I have is to just replace the rifle sights for bigger ones, if any one has constructive suggest on how to approach this, it would help me out.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Went to the Remington factory over the summer: most everything is brazed on so it will take a considerable amount of heat to remove the sight ramps.   You will definitely need either an oxy-acetylene or MAPP gas torch.  

I just removed my front ramp to install LPA ghost ring sights.  I am getting ready to tin/sweat the new front blade on tomorrow with high temp silver solder.
-JD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Due to the amount of heat needed to melt the Remington brazing alloy, I always just cut and filed the old sights off.

The heat can cause scaling inside the barrel, and will definitely ruin the finish.

When removing by heat, you have to take precautions to protect the bore, you have to polish the bore later, and you have to refinish the barrel.

When cutting and filing, there's no risk to the bore, and the only finish damage is to the actual area where the sight was.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Got any pics?

What type of barrel do you have on the 1100?
Top Top