Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:02:33 AM EDT
Ive got an old Mossberg 500.  Its a 6 shot 18 inch barrel.

Does anyone know if I can convert it to a 8 shot or a 590 (9shot) by just replacing the barrel and magazine tube.  I would assume that all the parts are interchangable, but if anyone has first hand knowledge I would appreciate it, before I order $150 worth of parts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can convert to the 8 shot.  You need the magazine tube, magazine spring, and 8 shot barrel.  Just remove the barrel as you would for cleaning.  Then thread off the magazine tube from the receiver.  It takes less than 2 minutes.  I don't recommend it, though.  I think my 8 shot swings and carrys like crap, plus it is 2" longer.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That is indeed a good question.  Call Mossberg and see what they say
(800) 363-3555 or [email protected]

I don't care much for their lawyer scared policies and customer service.  

Havlin might be a better option
636-937-6401,
Mon-Thur 9AM-5PM Central Time, Friday 9AM-3PM Central Time

Havlin is nice to talk to on the phone and very helpful.

Let me know how this turns out.  I'm quite curious myself.

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull +
AntiAmerican
Destruction
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
When I did the conversion a couple years ago, mossberg customer service was very friendly and helpful.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
You know what they say about first impressions.  I called them just a week or so ago to order a trigger assembly.  The first words out of the guy's mouth were, "That is a restricted part."  They needed a copy of my gunsmith certificate and it had to be from a certified gunsmithing school.  Federal law requires that certain parts bearing a serial number, ie the gun's serial number, require an ffl to order.  This trigger assembly is not one of those parts.  I also understand that people do dumb things and these dumb people have slick attorneys.  That represents about .001% of the population or less; that ain't me.

That did not impress me in a positive way at all.  In fact, it influenced me in a rather negative way.  Smith & Wesson is just the opposite.  They are quite happy to sell me hammers, sears, and triggers; and if they're not in stock, they'll make them for me.  That impresses me!  That's service!

I have been a long time Mossberg owner and shooter.  The gun I was working on was a simple "clean & inspect" job.  I had no idea the trigger assembly was going to grenade on me and I have to say that is the first time I have ever seen that.  That was a major setback and put me out of the promised timeframe of completion.  Then for Mossberg to be that way about it was quite shocking.  Thank goodness for Havlin!  I made sure that I advised the customer of the entire experience, and he agreed that any new shotgun acquisitions should not include Mossberg in the lineup.

2guntom
2guntom.com
454 Casull +
AntiAmerican
Destruction
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
MOST gun makers have restricted parts.
Ruger, S&W, and Colt usually won't sell cylinders and ejectors for revolvers, and Ruger restricts most action parts like hammers.

Every maker decides for itself what items to restrict, and these are always parts the usual "Billy Bob" can't be trusted to install.

True, not everyone is a Billy Bob, but it only takes one or two to put a real crimp in the profit margin of a small company like most gun makers.

Since they have no way of telling who's qualified or who's a Billy Bob, they ask for some evidence that the person knows what their doing.

Mossberg just decided that their trigger assembly needs to be factory fitted, or fitted by a VERIFIED qualified gunsmith to insure safe operation.
That's their privilege.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh sure, it is their priviledge.  

Cylinders, I can understand.  You can't just drop a cylinder in a revolver; the revolver has to be timed to it.  If you simply drop a cylinder in, you could damage the gun or yourself.  That all makes sense and verifies the manufacturers making them "restricted" parts.

But we're talking about a Mossberg 500 here.  Mossberg designs their shotguns so most parts can be interchanged with parts from other guns.  Their trigger assemblies are put together on a jig at the factory.  Mossberg warns that the trigger assembly should not be disassembled for any reason.  With that in mind they should restrict parts for the trigger assemblies.  They should sell complete trigger assemblies to ecourage consumers to replace the whole thing.  Whatever they choose to do is their right.

As a consumer and a gunsmith I have rights too.  My money is earned and sometimes at great pains.  When I spend that money, I expect things.  I'm am held to high standards and if my work is not to the mark, my job and income are at stake.  Out of fairness, I hold everbody else to the same standards.  Bottom line, Mossberg has lost me as a customer.  I will not endorse them anymore, and I will tell everybody why.  That is my right and priviledge.

2guntom
454 Casull +
AntiAmerican
Destruction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top