Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 7:44:27 PM EDT
Hi All,

What is the concensus on the better HD and SHTF shotgun: Remi 870 Police VS. Benelli M1 (or M2, M3, M4) Super 90? Pros for the 870: reliability. Benelli: rate of fire and no possibility of a bad rack or half rack in the heat of the moment. Your thoughs?

Would also consider a Saiga 12 for this use...
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned and used both...I currently have an 870 for the house and SHTF scenarios (assuming my AR15 is in the shop).  

I'd say if you buy a Benelli, get the standard auto (don't bother with the "dual action" system).  If you can afford it, I'd go with the Benelli, but if you can't, there is certainly nothing wrong with the 870.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Benelli M1 S90 tactical (7+1) ,and a Mossberg 500 18 1/2 " barrel, and two 870's a Wingmaster and Express. Myself I would take the Benelli everytime!!! There is no better Scattergun in the world. It has almost rifle like accuracy with slugs and patterns simply amazing with 00 buck. I have never had one problem with reliability, and i have shot over 3 thousand rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Benelli all the way...but you're kind of comparing apples and oranges here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Both will do but i'd take the 870 for simplicity of operation
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Benelli all the way is right!!

I am sure people here think  I am a shill for Benelli, but I think they are the finest shotguns made. Beretta 1201FP is runner up ( but the Benelli and Beretta 1201 are pretty much the same thing)

Remington 870 is ok, I am not a fan of them. Reason why is because I want a firearm that I can trust, and I have had a few short strokes or lock ups with the 870 to know that I do not trust the weapon. Granted this was shooter error during a mild stress of huting.

In a SHTF high stress moment I want a, gun that I can trust. And that is why I own 5 Benelli's 3 Beretta 1201FPs and 1 Remington 870

Chris
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the 870. I grew up shooting 870's, mostly at clay pigeons and while dove hunting. We used to shoot a LOT, and the 870 is now just natural for me. I dont' even have a ghost ring on my HD gun, just a bead like I'm used to.  I do have an M3S90, and it's schweet and all, but I'll stick with the pump.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
My advice would be to use the 870 Police Magnum. When selecting a HD weapon, its best to choose one which will work no matter what, even if loaded with compressed ammo and covered with dust and fuzz from laying under the bed. For this very reason, revolvers and pump shotguns are excellent choices. Simplicity in this case is a virtue. I also advocate the use of reduced recoil buckshot for those who can use such a load for thier application and typically, there isn't enough charge to reliably cycle an automatic shotgun. The reduced recoil loads have many virtues and its not practical to have a weapon which excludes thier use. Another point to mention is huge problem with a fighting shotgun:ammo capacity/consumption/reloading. A typical HD shotgun will hold between 5-9 shots, which really isn't that much considering all the possbilities you may be faced with should you have to deploy your weapon. Automatic shotguns and pistols have a tendency to be shot dry rapidly during engagements with nothing to show for all the expended ammo. A pump shotgun forces more deliberate and conservative shooting. Its not possible to spray an area and

empty your weapon before the first case hits the ground as is the case with the Benelli. Reloading your weapon isn't as easy as realoding a magazine fed weapon which makes ammo conservation that much more important in a HD scenario....maybe not so much consumption as economy. Your rounds really need to count. You cannot afford to empty your shotgun in a HD situation without making a neutralizing hit...While the Benelli M1S90 is an excellent fighting shotgun, but nothing can top the simplicity and reliability of the 870, which is the ultimate choice for a defensive arm.
Also consider the psychological impact of chambering a round, this may be all it takes to defeat your opponent.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#9]

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I took a shotgun class recently and most of the people there had 870's. I 'm still thinking  about  buying an M4 or M1 but I'll stick to my Scatterguns Tech for HD or SHTF. I like the 870 because it is reliable and simple. Three people had M4's and they did not have any issues. I just think the 870 is more dependable because it will fire any type of round and still keep shooting after 600 rounds through it without cleaning. A Benelli can start to malfunction if not cleaned really good. It will not feed all rounds. Some of the guys could not reload as fast as I was with my 870 during the rolling thunder excersice.  Take a class and see for yourself. The class was a lot of fun and I learned how to handle a shotgun better.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I would do the Benelli because it is 2005 and you do not have to settle for a pump action firearm.

Also the M2 Tactial may actually be lighter than the 870. I am not sure on that, but it sure feels that way.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
benelli hands down
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Either will work.  Spend a lot of time regularly shooting whichever you choose so you become throughly familiar with it.  I am used to a Benelli.  If I had to pick for most people, I'd pick the 870 because they seem to be able to load/unload without as much practice.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The 870 is a great pump, I've owned several. But my Benelli M1S90 wins hands down for what shotgun I would grab in a fight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top