Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 4:14:02 PM EDT
I haven't been a hunter, but my dad convinced me to join him and my brother, and since me and my brother are in college and my dad is getting older, I figure I might as well join them and learn a new skill heh.

My brother is coming back home for turkey season, and while they both have mossberg 835s...I have my black evil mossberg 590A1 with ghost ring sights, not really a turkey gun.

Should I get a different barrel with a full choke? If so, what type?

How are those NEF single barrels?

Basically, I want to keep it under 200 bucks, and the cheaper the better, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:19:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If indeed you have the 590A1...you can get the Mossberg Accu-Choke system. Meaning a competant gunsmith can thread the inside of your barrel for screw in chokes. Chokes you can find at Wal-Mart. or any sporting goods store.
However, if you just have the run of the mill 590...not the A1, the barrel wall is not thick enough for threading.

Why not just get a Mossberg 500 w/ 28" vent rib bbl. It has the screw in chokes, you are familiar with the operation of the SG, and, of course, you can never have too many guns.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Stoney is right. The Mossberg 500 with the screw in chokes is the cheapest way. All you need is a X-full turkey chike for about 20 bucks. MIKE.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna run the 500 idea past my dad, see if I can get it as a gift heh heh. Never enough guns is right!
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My first turkey shotgun years ago was a NEF 10-gauge single-shot. It was a little heavy, but it got the job done. NEF currently makes turkey guns in various gauges and if you want to get off as cheap as possible financially, pick one up.

Glad to hear that you are interested in hunting. Good luck, and enjoy yourself out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top