Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2003 10:05:54 AM EDT
Hello folks.

Which one would be less damaging to your ears in STHF, especially indoors when you engage perps to defend your life? 5.56mm (AR15) or a 12 gauge shotgun?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no data to back this up.

It would seem to me that the lower pitch of a 12 Ga, would be less harmful than the sharp, and trans-sonic report
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, neither one should cause permanent damage, unless you've got a JP brake on the AR and you're (90 degrees) standing next to it while it's being fired.

Most hearing loss is culmulative, over years of repeated unprotected firing.  

Having fired both types of weapons indoors, I can say that your ears WILL ring for a day or so afterward.

I wouldn't sweat this perceived problem, and just think of how loud it will be for the other guy(s).      

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your opinions.

I've shot a Bushy 14.5" with mini-Y outdoors without a hearing protection and it rang till the next morning... I will never do that again.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Honestly, neither one should cause permanent damage

Either fired indoors will cause damage.
You may or may not notice it, but the damage will be done.
You do not "get used" to loud noises, you stop hearing them all together.

Hearing damage can result from a one-time exposure to very loud noise, short-term exposure to loud noise or long-term exposure to moderate noise.  Noise in excess of 80-85 decibels (dB) is considered potentially damaging.  
source

table
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm the thing I seemed to 'not hear' was my old lady.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top