Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2003 3:49:41 PM EDT
Was looking on Ebay nd i came across this. Looks liek a polychoke or something. It's a standard choke, screws in. Then, you can turn the choke itself and it adjsuts from IC all the way to full.  

from their website: "Twist this! This unique and fully adjustable choke tube allows you to quickly  and easily make adjustments in the field depending on shooting conditions. No more juggling multiple chose tubes! The Titan is the only one you need. You can adjust from improved cylinder to full choke in seconds. Just twist and shoot. Features rugged titanium construction that can handle all types of shot, including steel." www.truglosights.com/products/choke_tubes/

Anyone ever use these? are they worth a pinch of feces? At $20 for an all in one, if it works i'd say it's a great deal.

Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, i picked it up.

Bass pro shops has them NIB for $99. I figured for $20, i'd be a guinea pig.

Construction looks pretty decent. I'll get some pics up when i get home. Basically, it's got a bunch of finger type pieces of metal in a cylindrical shape. as you screw, the space between fingers diminishes, and the choke constricts. It has 8 different setting. Supposedly, it's Cylinder, skeet, improved cyl, modified, imp. mod, Full, X full, XX full.

Choke is made of titanium, avaialble in stainless and blues finishes. Works with all shot types.

I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. When i do, i'll give a range report.

For $20 i think i stole it. For $99, it might not be as good fo a deal, but it still doesn't seem bad. It definitly beats buying 8 chokes separately, them having to lug them with you.

Performance is the only question. After i get a range test, i will let you know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't get use to the idea because I always remember those damned poly chokes.

This thing might be cool as far as finding the optimal setting for buck and for slug out of the same barrel.  It is amazing sometimes what a little more or less choke can do.

I would have bought it for $20 too.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't get use to the idea because I always remember those damned poly chokes.

This thing might be cool as far as finding the optimal setting for buck and for slug out of the same barrel.  It is amazing sometimes what a little more or less choke can do.

I would have bought it for $20 too.

I'm guessing you don't like the polychoke?

I've never used one. However, From what i've heard, this is designed just liek the polychoke.

Here's a few pics. One looking up the choke, one looking down.

Then a couple of overall pics. Really doesn't look that bad. Mossberg 590, cut for chokes by Kurt's. Nothing like pissing off the duck hunting and traps types. I'm sure this will do that jsut fine.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
But it is NOT poly.  Big improvement.  Back in the "old days" (the 70's) before we had choke tubes, you typically walked around with a modified choke or if you needed more than one choke, you carried a double or O/U to have 2 different chokes.

Nothing was more horrifyig than to see a beautiful gun, and all guns were beautiful then, have that big-ass, ugly-ass piece of plastic shit thing on the end of it.  That being a poly choke, it is ugly.  Eventually one made it in to my circle of freinds, it was not consistent.  Plus it was permanent, you could not remove it. And the ones with the comp slots were even uglier.  The big thing back then was the new 3" chambers.  Tubes came next.  You could change choke by changing barrels.

I trust the truglo name, I have used their sights before.  The Poly was a piece of plastic tube based on a 1960's design.  Modern polymers are much better.  I actually like them. I have  had a Glock for 12 years.

It will be interesting to see if you can tweek accuracy with yours.  Maybe find your best pattern for Buck at 15 to 25 yards, then see how the slugs do at 25 to 50 yards.  But be careful, I could see a slug blowing that thing out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
i will definitly let you guys know how it turns out. FWIW, the manual says not to go over modified with slugs. but that still gives me 4 settings.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
If it works then its worth more than $20 as far as I'm concerned.

I shoot a lot of skeet and sporting clays and I have a set of those briley chokes with the color rings on them so I can tell whats in the gun at a glance. They were way more than $20.

FWIW at least for me I have found that too much focus on shells and chokes can distract you from concentrating on how you will shoot the stage. I tend to use an IC unless its really a long shot, then I'll switch to mod or full.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top