Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 12:10:38 AM EDT
Thinking about a new shotgun, don't need for any particular reason other than getting a new shotgun! What about a 10 gauge? Are shells easy to get? Is recoil much greater than a 12 gauge? Are they good for anything besides the novelty?..... Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned an H&R single shot 10 and currently own an SP-10 camo 23" barreled gun. The guns are fairly heavy. The recoil with my SP10 with heavy turkey loads is significantly less than a Mossberg 835 3.5" 12g turkey gun I used to own.

I like the big 10. it has a unigue boom when you touch it off. The local turkeys are less fond of it Ammo is fairly easy to come by, both lead and steel loads, and not that much more than 12g.

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Are they good for anything besides the novelty?

Turkey & geese.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
with the new 3.5" 12's running $250.00 i wouldn't spend the money on a 10.  just my opinion.  different is cool.  but being able to bum ammo off your buddy is cool also.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a decent point. If you aren't a gun nut (!) who likes different stuff to play with, you probably are better served with a 3.5 inch 12. I don't think there is a hell of a lot of differnce between the 3.5 inch 10 and 12 ballistically. No el'cheapo blasting 10g loads.

But shit, $ isn't the point here. Playing with new and neat stuff is.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in the process in paying off a 1100 for my oldest son and converting my kids four youth shotguns to adult size, barrels and stocks, otherwise I would have a 10 gauge or 12 gauge 3 1/2" on the way. It comes down to this. The 12 is alot cheaper than the 10. The 12 is lighter than the 10. Ballistically the 12 and 10 are close, same amount of shot, same velocity, but the 10 gauge throws better fuller patterns. This is due to the wider shell case. The 12 gauge 3 1/2" has longer shot strings. This is not a problem for shooting turkeys or deer with buckshot, both are stationay targets. Where the 10 shines is wingshooting, ducks and geese. If you are not a dedicated duck hunter you do not need a 10 gauge. But if you are a nut like me who is a insane, jealous person, who hates SP-10 even though I never met SP-10 simply because he has a SP-10 and I don't, well you get the idea. MIKE.

PS: SP-10 have you shot any 10 slugs yet? Waiting for a range report. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
But if you are a nut like me who is a insane, jealous person, who hates SP-10 even though I never met SP-10 simply because he has a SP-10 and I don't, well you get the idea. MIKE.

PS: SP-10 have you shot any 10 slugs yet? Waiting for a range report. MIKE.

I'm going home to fondle my big "10" tonight....hmmm, that doesn't sound too good, does it?

Nope, haven't found any Fed 10g slugs yet. If you find yourself in central NY, I think I can arrange a little anger management therapy for you!
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Central New York? I didn't know that the state had a middle! Is that the big flat part with no ocean on the left as you head north to Canada?

Seriously I have a good friend who has a 30" SP-10 with the wood stocks. He loves it but he shoots a lot of waterfowl. Me I only want it for turkeys and just because. If I order the 11-87 super mag turkey model I will still probably be lusting after the big 10. So I might as well just get the 10.

My problem is my kids. I introduced them to shooting and they like it, too much! The little bastards are putting me in the poor house. It's costing over a hundred each week to shoot skeet, without guns! Plus I "need" a 28 gauge auto so that we can shoot all gauges, 12, 20 28 and .410. I also need a dedicated trap gun..............ect. So many shotguns, so little time. MIKE.    
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Plus I "need" a 28 gauge auto so that we can shoot all gauges, 12, 20 28 and .410. .    

How about a 16?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Flash, Your right I do "need" a 16 but the reason I did not mention it is I was referring to the guns that are used in registered skeet 12,20,28 and .410. That is why the 16 gauge was almost in the shitter is because it is not used in skeet. Also because of 3" 20 gauge shells. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 2:24:58 AM EDT
[#10]
10 gauge....geez.  They use to make me pull birds for a guy who would shoot an 8 gauge at the club I worked at in my youth.  I have never gotten over it.

I guess the good thing is for every Turkey you shoot, you usually get three squirrels and two doves too.  Apparently they fall from the trees  after having their little rodent heart attacks from the sound and the blast knocks the doves out of the air.

Then again didn't Itahca use to call their 10 the "roadblock" and show a picture of a cop standing by his cruiser with it.  If you get it change your name to roadblock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top